Samsung HW-Q950A Thread 11.1.4!

antsims

Distinguished Member
Hi everyone,

As this new soundbar has been announced at CES 21, I thought I’d start a discussion thread for it.

I have the HW-Q950T, but this new bar sounds really interesting with 11.1.4 set up. Hopefully it will be released soon so we can get some reviews/first impressions on it.

I for one, hope the display moves back to the front again and not on top.

I probably will wait a while after it’s released, to hopefully get another 50% off offer when bought with a TV like they did recently with the Q950 that I was lucky enough to take advantage of.

What’s your thoughts?

antsims

Distinguished Member
No thoughts on this yet?

Robdog93

Thoughts... probably a day one purchase for me! I'm in the market for my first soundbar and almost pulled the trigger on the 950T this week. The very day I was planning to buy, I saw the 950A was announced. AirPlay is a big factor for me since I'm in a house full of Apple devices - that level of convenience, albeit minor, is a big swing.

It looks like they've ditched the fabric material, too, in favour of the metal covering once more, judging by the promotional image (correct me if I'm wrong). I much prefer this personally!

Hopefully we get some more details this coming week with it being CES. My lounge is ready for a sound system, but I'm willing to wait a couple more months for this - 11.1.4, sounds crazy!

antsims

Distinguished Member
I thought they’d gone back to metal as well by the look of it. I hope the display is back on the front again. Be interesting to see some demos images over the next few weeks. I WILL buy it, but only when there is an offer on it. My Q950T is awesome and happy to keep hold of it until a deal comes up.

antsims

Distinguished Member
I reckon it will be on par with previous soundbars on launch. £1499-£1599.

Robdog93

I thought they’d gone back to metal as well by the look of it. I hope the display is back on the front again. Be interesting to see some demos images over the next few weeks. I WILL buy it, but only when there is an offer on it. My Q950T is awesome and happy to keep hold of it until a deal comes up.

That's completely fair - this is my first step into the world soundbars / any sort of audio system for the lounge, so I'm pretty willing to spend the full whack to get it on launch, assuming it's about £1,400.

I could wait a few more months I guess, but that takes us into Summer, and I'll be spending less time at home. I want the convenience of having a nice setup throughout the rest of Winter & Spring whilst we're bunkered down at home!

etailer

Novice Member
Happy to see Samsung finally will have a room correction feature but it sounds like it's required to have a Samsung q series TV to use it...?
When Sonos can do it via an app, why can't Samsung too then...

That leaves room calibration as the other big new feature: it’s only supported on the premium Q-series range, and additionally requires the soundbar to be paired with one of Samsung’s own Q-series TVs, but will be able to tailor the sound output to the size and shape of the room.

This “Q-Calibration” feature uses a small microphone built into the TV to detect the room’s acoustics, with the data fed into the soundbar so it can automatically adjust its output.

If you don’t have a Q-series TV, there’s also a similar “Space EQ” feature on some of the new models, which adjusts the soundbar’s bass response using a microphone inside the soundbar or connected subwoofer instead of the TV.

Last edited:

PlanetaryReference

I'll be happy if the surface is metal. Need some close-ups of the bar ends and internal speaker arrangement, including for rears. As end sound is based on wall reflections it looks like the side and wide speakers are going to be reflecting (mostly) internally. I'm sure its a perforated surface, it has to be for 11.1.4 to work, but it looks rather solid in the image released.

Q950A.png

Looks slightly longer to me.

etailer

Novice Member
I'll be happy if the surface is metal. Need some close-ups of the bar ends and internal speaker arrangement, including for rears. As end sound is based on wall reflections it looks like the side and wide speakers are going to be reflecting (mostly) internally. I'm sure its a perforated surface, it has to be for 11.1.4 to work, but it looks rather solid in the image released.

View attachment 1439664

Looks slightly longer to me.
As far as I had understood, it's the Q800T-model that is pictured which has a metal grill in the 2020 models too and therefore different from the 900-series. So they might still have the fabric....

PlanetaryReference

As far as I had understood, it's the Q800T-model that is pictured which has a metal grill in the 2020 models too and therefore different from the 900-series. So they might still have the fabric....

There's an image labeled Q800A, and an image labeled 2021 Q950A. I used the Q950A image for this examination, but it's possible they're using the same bar to announce both and it's really a Q800A shown.

antsims

Distinguished Member
Can’t wait to get more detailed information about this bar. Hopefully soon.

etailer

Novice Member
Happy to see Samsung finally will have a room correction feature but it sounds like it's required to have a Samsung q series TV to use it...?
When Sonos can do it via an app, why can't Samsung too then...

It seems there are different reports on if the room correction feature requires a q-series tv or not.
Hope and expect it's the latter. Otherwise Samsung soundbars are at a major disadvantage compared to the competition:

"
The models have calibration mics inside the soundbars themselves and their subwoofers. Those mics can help you set up the best sound for the room and determine the best positioning for the devices.
"

PlanetaryReference

Keep in mind a speaker is a transducer, and a mic is a transducer.

One uses electricity to make sound waves, and the other uses sound waves to make electricity. But they can also be made to do both. I suspect that's the nature of these added microphones. If I'm not mistaken that's how Alexa picks up voice commands on Q950T bar speakers now. As the speaker groups use common mid and tweeter combos it would be easy to alternate them quickly from speaker to mic function, to measure each other's room level and image symmetry and reflection (the rears measure the reflections off the wall from the bar's wide speakers, etc.). Q950T speakers are very sensitive so this could work well, certainly an order of magnitude better than some dippy iPhone mic.

The result of that could be very good indeed ... or not ... depending on sample and adjustment algorithms and their potential for development in firmware. Think that approach to sampling levels and frequencies would have a terrific potential in 11.1.4 sound bar though.

To get the sub's "Space EQ" to work, the sub would need a chip-based spectrum analyzer function to process its frequency response, and at least a multi-band parametric EQ added, via a DSP chip, to tailor the frequency response closer to flat. The Q950T sub is nowhere near flat and it looks to be the same sub used in Q950A. So this EQ processing can only bring much better sub smoothness, balance and depth.

If they can do that for the sub they can also do the same for the rears and bar EQ flatness as well. Plus this removes most of the setup a graphic EQ requires (and many people today have little idea how to use one) So the potential for an obviously improved raw system frequency response than Q950T, which was not so great IMO (but fairly typical), but was very responsive to EQ editing, is there also.

I like where that's headed, and it's exactly the sort of innovation for which Harman-Kardon are well known. They worked on the last two Samsung 'flagship' sound bars. The Q950T's upscaling and 9.1.4 sound modes and imaging will be their contribution.

Last edited:

etailer

Novice Member
Keep in mind a speaker is a transducer, and a mic is a transducer.

One uses electricity to make sound waves, and the other uses sound waves to make electricity. But they can also be made to do both. I suspect that's the nature of these added microphones. If I'm not mistaken that's how Alexa picks up voice commands on Q950T bar speakers now. As the speaker groups use common mid and tweeter combos it would be easy to alternate them quickly from speaker to mic function, to measure each other's room level and image symmetry and reflection (the rears measure the reflections off the wall from the bar's wide speakers, etc.). Q950T speakers are very sensitive so this could work well, certainly an order of magnitude better than some dippy iPhone mic.

The result of that could be very good indeed ... or not ... depending on sample and adjustment algorithms and their potential for development in firmware. Think that approach to sampling levels and frequencies would have a terrific potential in 11.1.4 sound bar though.

To get the sub's "Space EQ" to work, the sub would need a chip-based spectrum analyzer function to process its frequency response, and at least a multi-band parametric EQ added, via a DSP chip, to tailor the frequency response closer to flat. The Q950T sub is nowhere near flat and it looks to be the same sub used in Q950A. So this EQ processing can only bring much better sub smoothness, balance and depth.

If they can do that for the sub they can also do the same for the rears and bar EQ flatness as well. Plus this removes most of the setup a graphic EQ requires (and many people today have little idea how to use one) So the potential for an obviously improved raw system frequency response than Q950T, which was not so great IMO (but fairly typical), but was very responsive to EQ editing, is there also.

I like where that's headed, and it's exactly the sort of innovation for which Harman-Kardon are well known. They worked on the last two Samsung 'flagship' sound bars. The Q950T's upscaling and 9.1.4 sound modes and imaging will be their contribution.

Very insightful, thank you very much.

antsims

Distinguished Member
I wonder if some video demos from CES will appear for us, the general public.

flute711

Novice Member
I’m excited to see what the 950A’s can do as I’m looking to put a new home theater/gaming setup in my new house! I’ve always been a dedicated speaker/receiver system is better type of guy but as I get older the simplicity and aesthetics factor is becoming more important to me which has me highly interested in sound bars! They’ve come a long ways in the last decade and I’m eager to try a high end one out. This announced sound bar checked all the right boxes:
EARC
Atmos AND DTS:X (Sonos lost me there)
Dedicated wireless surrounds and sub
Room calibration
One thing that has modestly improved and I’ve always completely written off is built in speakers in TVs. But reading about Q symphony has me curious as it'd be great to actually get some value/use out of some decent tv speakers. I’m very interested in the Neo QN900A with its mini LED’s and it’s massive size of 85”. I’d go OLED but couldn’t afford an 80” + version lol!! Q symphony does sound a little gimmicky but I was wondering if any of you have any insight or experience using this feature?

antsims

Distinguished Member
Anyone seen any updates so far?

antsims

Distinguished Member
Looks very nice but will the software be buggy as per usual Samsung standards!!
Yes. I love the concept but will wait a few months for the issues to be ironed out.

antsims

Distinguished Member
Any update on release date for this?

The latest video from AVForums

Toy Stories - Turning Toys into Blockbuster Movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 4th August 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
KEF adds Ci160ES to Architectural Speaker range
  • By Andy Bassett