Samsung HW-Q950A Soundbar Review & Comments

Wouldn't do that as you'll lose 120hz functionality on the console.

Currently don’t have a 120hz TV. Plus I have a Philips Hue Sunc box which the PS5 needs to pass though and looses the 120hz on.

The way it’s going, when I go get a new Samsung TV, is going to make all of my plug in devices pretty redundant

Thanks a lot for your test Steve. I currently have an LG 77G1 Evo TV and I'm hesitating between 2 sound bars:

- LG SP11RA
- Samsung HW-950A

The 2 bars are excellent but the sound of the samsung bar seems to be above the LG in the tests I read. On the other hand, I would miss 2 features since I don't have a Samsung screen:

• the Q-Symphony feature
  • the Spacefit Sound+ calibration which is obviously only possible if samsung screen with.
  • Features AI Sound with LG Bar
Is it a good idea to make a combo LG G1 and the samsung bar or do you think I should look on the LG brand with its associated bar?

Just bought one of these
Just wondered how people are finding them, I haven't heard it yet
I recently heard a sonos arc, and wow it sounded awesome, hopefully I've made the right decision

Just bought one of these
I recently heard a sonos arc, and wow it sounded awesome, hopefully I've made the right decision
How are people finding them?… but looking at them online and buying them or going into Best Buy and buying them ect lol. This soundbar is generally considered better that the ARC.

How are people finding them?… but looking at them online and buying them or going into Best Buy and buying them ect lol. This soundbar is generally considered better that the ARC.
Online. I almost bought mine from GT but found a sweet deal on Amazon. Just had to wait a few weeks.

Does anyone have any experience with the q950a coming from a dedicated 5.1 setup? Thinking of simplifying a little bit. Thanks.

Does anyone have any experience with the q950a coming from a dedicated 5.1 setup? Thinking of simplifying a little bit. Thanks.

I came from a relatively high end separate system and currently have the 950t (bought the 950a but still currently boxed until I sell my 950t). Although it won't sound as good as a high end separate system I was pleasantly surprised with the sound quality. Only thing I find lacking is the real deep bass you get from a bigger subwoofer.

I found another bug :
If I were to stream with Airplay + Spotify and change the volume from my Iphone, the sound bar will completely hang, play garbled sound, and disconnect from the wifi. It will be unresponsive as heck and it will say Wifi disconnected. In my case I tried another wifi SSID which was purely 5GHz ac rather than the initially buggy 2.4G+5G ax. one.

Airplay with wifi is really useless right now. I also have not managed to get Alexa to work.

Thanks a lot for your test Steve. I currently have an LG 77G1 Evo TV and I'm hesitating between 2 sound bars:

- LG SP11RA
- Samsung HW-950A

The 2 bars are excellent but the sound of the samsung bar seems to be above the LG in the tests I read. On the other hand, I would miss 2 features since I don't have a Samsung screen:

• the Q-Symphony feature
  • the Spacefit Sound+ calibration which is obviously only possible if samsung screen with.
  • Features AI Sound with LG Bar
Is it a good idea to make a combo LG G1 and the samsung bar or do you think I should look on the LG brand with its associated bar?
I own LG SP11RA and I am really happy with it. Dolby Atmos immersion is nothing short of impressive, if you ask me. I also own Samsung Q950t soundbar (2020 year flasgship). I have to say that some reviewers seem to be biased towards Samsung. Samsung's 9 series soundbars always get rave reviews, whereas LG's equivalent models are frowned upon by some reviewers. In my humble opinion, LG's SP11RA is better than Samsung Q950t when it comes to Dolby Atmos movies. Also, it seems to be more stable in terms of resisting signal interference from nearby electronic devices. Moreover, Samsung's horrible design flaw genuinely grinds my gears. Deciding to place the display on top of the soundbar is absurd and makes no sense. I would say, go for LG SP11RA if you primarily intend to use it for watching DA movies.

Just bought one of these
I had the full Sonos arc. And this soundbar is way better. Audio wise
But the Sonos app is better than the Samsung. But once it’s set up you don’t need the app

I had the full Sonos arc. And this soundbar is way better. Audio wise
But the Sonos app is better than the Samsung. But once it’s set up you don’t need the app
Intresting, people (including) myself seems to prefer the sonos but because of the upmixing and sub output?

I'm gutted at this as I brought my 950A a couple of months ago on PayPal credit (as I couldn't afford the full price) which means I pay it back over 3 years.
With this deal I'd have been able to afford it outright after the refund (and I need a new TV for our new house extension).

Is anyone else in a similar situation?

Think I got mine from Currys for £1370. Almost full price. Lesson learnt is don't be an early adopter unless you are okay with that. Wait for at least 4 months as we are seeing such promos every year.

Personally I am not pissed as I was kept entertained by this system and it really got rid off the soundbar stereotype in me. The sound quality of this is first rate. As I will be living on my own, I am curious to perform the subwoofer surgery with some good guidance from someone.

Hi all I have the soundbar on standard setting but when playing infinity war on atmos I hardly felt it was immersive should I be using surround ?

Hi all I have the soundbar on standard setting but when playing infinity war on atmos I hardly felt it was immersive should I be using surround ?
Adaptive Sound is what 90% of people use/recommend I believe.

So seeing as this Soundbar supports Dolby Atmos, I’ve gone and bought the 65’ Q94A screen to go with it and surprise, it doesn’t support Dolby Vision or Atmos.

I’ve read around and apparently HDR10+ is Samsungs version of DV which is fine but when it comes to sound, so they have an alternative to Atmos too?

So seeing as this Soundbar supports Dolby Atmos, I’ve gone and bought the 65’ Q94A screen to go with it and surprise, it doesn’t support Dolby Vision or Atmos.
You don't need the TV to decode Atmos, it just needs to support passthrough of audio to the soundbar.

Sorry I meant on the internal apps.
If your TV doesn't support Atmos whether passthrough or internal apps, you can circumvent this by using a Chromecast Google TV Dongle or Apple TV 4K for content streaming. Plug the device into one of the HDMI inputs of the soundbar instead of the TV.

If your TV doesn't support Atmos whether passthrough or internal apps, you can circumvent this by using a Chromecast Google TV Dongle or Apple TV 4K for content streaming. Plug the device into one of the HDMI inputs of the soundbar instead of the TV.

Yeah, I was also trying not to have devices plugged in. Ideally wanted just the TV and soundbar.

Does the Q symphony not replicate Atmos on its own way?

You've tested that the TV won't pass through Atmos from the internal apps to the soundbar?

Apparently Samsung are not supporting Dolby Vision or Atmos on their QLEDS despite supporting Atmos on the soundbar

You've tested that the TV won't pass through Atmos from the internal apps to the soundbar?
Mine does and perfectly so why would a Q94A be not able to do this? Samsung will never support DV though and they don't need too either..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom