Samsung HW-Q950A Soundbar Review & Comments

Gersho

Novice Member
The LED screen will only scroll Dolby Atmos once, when you start playing Atmos content. Try downloading https://download.dolby.com/us/en/test-tones/dolby-test-tones_9_1_6.mp4 and playing it from your PC and from USB on your TV, and see if you get the screen to show Atmos with that.
I was hoping you will get in touch on this issue :) The good news is that 1st problem is now resolved. You've got me thinking once the provided test file didn't produce expected results. To clarify, for the best 4K HDR picture quality I'm using MPC-BE and MadVR combo. I was convinced that my audio setting are taken care off to handle Dolby Atmos - apparently that wasn't the case. I have played test file with PotPlayer which immediately showed Dolby Atmos on LED. So I headed back to MPC-BE and updated not only MadVR audio filter settings to output all Dolby and DTS format but player itself had to be also updated - basically same setting in 2 places and voila Dolby Atmos from MPC-BE. Checked with test file and some movies (oh boy, Baby Driver first scene is just perfect for such test). Audio experience changed dramatically with the correct DA being played.
Anyway I hope that someone will find this useful. Now I need to solve issue 2. As described only eARC showing on display but not Dolby Atmos. I suspect that HDMI cable is to blame. Honestly I don't remember now but I think the only 2.1 certified cable seats between PC and Q950A.

Gersho

Novice Member
Also, do you have Pass through mode for Audio on the TV set to Auto?
Update #2: Test file from USB plays perfectly fine with Dolby Atmos (showing on LED with audio as expected). Problem seams only to be related with Disney+. I went with Amazon Prime trial and again Dolby Atmos plays excellent. I will now dig in a bit more in Disney+ app on Sony TV.
Thanks a lot for you help.

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
Update #2: Test file from USB plays perfectly fine with Dolby Atmos (showing on LED with audio as expected). Problem seams only to be related with Disney+. I went with Amazon Prime trial and again Dolby Atmos plays excellent. I will now dig in a bit more in Disney+ app on Sony TV.
Thanks a lot for you help.
Sony TVs running Android TV with Disney+ don't currently support Atmos streams. However if you cast the D+ app from your mobile phone to the TV's built it chromecast, I think you will get Atmos.

Alternatively there is a slightly older version of the D+ Android TV apk floating around where for a short period of time Dolby Atmos was working natively. If you download it to a USB stick you can install it directly on the TV if you remove the existing version of the app first.

:)

cliveg

I currently have a fairly old Samsung TV - UE65HU8500 - with the one-connect box. I'm planning to get the Q950A, but wondering how I connect my 3 devices, as the soundbar only has 2 HDMI. I have Sky Q, Blu-ray player and a Roku stick.

Thanks
Clive

andykillsu

I currently have a fairly old Samsung TV - UE65HU8500 - with the one-connect box. I'm planning to get the Q950A, but wondering how I connect my 3 devices, as the soundbar only has 2 HDMI. I have Sky Q, Blu-ray player and a Roku stick.

Thanks
Clive
So I am assuming by fairly old you mean it only supports ARC not eARC. I would connect the Sky Q directly to the TV, then if you are watching to internal apps with Atmos you will at least get DD+. Then connect the Blu-ray player and Roku stick to the soundbar for best audio. You could switch around the Sky Q box and Roku stick, depending on which one you want to support better audio. I am not familiar enough with them to know which will output better audio, but I would assume it’s the Ruko Stick. But 100% leave the blu-ray player in the bar so you get lossless audio.

PlanetaryReference

I would stay away from the Q950T, there are many problems with it like interference causing the sound to drop out on the rears.

You're grossly generalizing, and it's quite inaccurate actually. The drop-out issue affects some people very occasionally. Interference causing drop-outs to WiFi speakers has not occurred to me even once in 12 months. This is the normal situation for Q950T owners as far as I can tell. Most people were able to resolve it by changing other leaky equipment, or WiFi band used.

Btw this sort of interference affects all current WiFi speaker setups. Do a search, it's the same for all. And there are two specific bugs that I'm aware of that affect the Q950A's rears that a Q950T does not suffer from.

The Q950A is just better in almost every way, better audio quality,

This is definitely not the case, several people who tried both these system side by side reported that they sound identical and advised to not bother buying a Q950A on sound, indeed one of the more discerning owners sent the Q950A back and kept their Q950T, as they sound exactly the same to him.

room calibration features, better more immersive 3D audio

Not at all, the two bars contain the same modes, and they sound identical, you can not tell which is which, in practice.

and people say the sub is much better.

This is possibly true, at least potentially, it should be true.

But I have seen people who say from testing with the sub-EQ, ON then OFF, that the sub produced the same spectrum-analyser trace and sounded the same. i.e. the sub-EQ function does not appear to be working presently. It functions, it creates calibration tones, but it does not currently adjust the internal EQ, in audibly detectable ways.

This should not be so surprising to anyone who bought a Q950T as the memory for its 7-Band EQ also did not work for the first 4 months after its release (fixed on 12th Oct, 2020 in just one mode). And it still only works in one mode (Standard) after another firmware update since, on April 6th, 2021.

That update gave the Q950T the same modes and sound as a Q950A.

In other words, the EQ on the Q950T and Q950A remain broken on both, in all but the Standard mode. That's how common their software is. The Q950A is not fundamentally new, nor is its firmware, it is a Q950T with feature additions. Samsung's firmware is the pits and the Q950A has the same legacy problems as the Q950T (plus a few new ones) so absolutely the Q950A is not superior in modes, software or sound quality. That is a myth.

Plus people who tried them side by side said the subs were basically indistinguishable to each other, and I PM-ed some of them specifically to ask about this aspect.

Presumably Samsung will eventually fix and also develop further the sub-EQ within a firmware update. But for now, it appears the sub's auto-EQ is not working as advertised, as several people reported no audible differences despite it appearing to calibrate to an internal tone-generator. But I do expect it to eventually work and make the Q950A sub significantly better then the Q950T sub ... at some point ... probably soon.

But it hasn't yet.

If you wait a little longer for like black Friday, would can probably get this set on sale for about $1,000. In fact it had a recent sale on amazon like 2 to 3 weeks ago were it was going for that. I think if you get the Q950T, you will have FOMO.

FOMO? (Fear Of Missing Out)

Missing out on what exactly? There's no audible difference at present. However, I would prefer the Q950A for its 'Night Mode' and for the imaging potential of the rears (with further firmware update to that aspect). However, the rears are currently reported as producing a negligible to non-detectable image improvement, by people who did a direct comparison between Q950T (v1019.5 firmware) and the current Q950A. Though the Q950A rears were louder and needed turning down, as a result of having another driver + 70 watts more output.

Other than that there's no practical audible difference between the two systems. The calibration options with Samsung TV's are also practically irrelevant, as a feature, and the bar has never needed "voice enhancement", so that is a bit redundant (plus people who tried it did not like the sound of it).

None of the owners of both systems (at once) who tried them side by side would agree with what you've stated. See for instance this page, and the following page.

Much of the misconception of sound difference was created by the following video's incorrect conclusions.

Except he did not know that the sound of the Q950T had improved considerably with the last 2 firmware updates (v1017.5, on 12th Oct 2020, and v1019.5, on April 6th, 2021). As a result his comparison conclusions are inaccurate, and were actually out-of-date when that video was uploaded to youtube.

He's comparing the Q950A to an earlier version of the Q950T, the same one that I bought in the first week of Sept 2020. So his conclusions about sound differences are not valid.

What actually happened is the initial firmware for Q950A was finalized on about the 29th or 30th of March, 2021. Then the modes of Q950A were back-ported to the Q950T, within a very long-awaited firmware update which occurred just 1 week later on the 6th of April, 2021 ... which occurred just as the Q950A was showing up in shops within South East Asia.

Within that update, the Q950T got the identical mode developments as the Q950A. And that's why they now sound the same to owners and users of both, and also why that video and also even the Steve Withers review, did not realize that a Q950A and Q950T now sound basically indistinguishable.

Eventually Samsung will update the sub-EQ feature, and that is when they will begin to sound significantly different to each other. But right now you could not do a blindfold music, movie or game test, and pick them apart on sound, except the rears will be louder on a Q950A with the same (shared) system settings. What the guy in the video is saying about the Q950A's improved sound, now also applies to the Q950T too. He clearly was not aware of that and Steve probably wasn't either, before he published his Q950A review.

But as for which to buy I do expect the sub-auto-EQ function will eventually be made to work as expected, and this will then dramatically improve the sound of a Q950A, over a Q950T ... at some point.

For that reason alone I'd buy a Q950A now. But no one will be experiencing 'FOMO', or disappointment if they bought a much cheaper Q950T plus a PC or XBox to go with it, with the money saved from not buying a Q950A which currently sounds the same.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of Q950T's left in stock now though. A secondhand one is more likely to be found.

Last edited:

Talkshowchris

You're grossly generalizing, and it's quite inaccurate actually. The drop-out issue affects some people very occasionally. Interference causing drop-outs to WiFi speakers has not occurred to me even once in 12 months. This is the normal situation for Q950T owners as far as I can tell. Most people were able to resolve it by changing other leaky equipment, or WiFi band used.

Btw this sort of interference affects all current WiFi speaker setups. Do a search, it's the same for all. And there are two specific bugs that I'm aware of that affect the Q950A's rears that a Q950T does not suffer from.

This is definitely not the case, several people who tried both these system side by side reported that they sound identical and advised to not bother buying a Q950A on sound, indeed one of the more discerning owners sent the Q950A back and kept their Q950T, as they sound exactly the same to him.

Not at all, the two bars contain the same modes, and they sound identical, you can not tell which is which, in practice.

But I have seen people who say from testing with the sub-EQ, ON then OFF, that the sub produced the same spectrum-analyser trace and sounded the same. i.e. the sub-EQ function does not appear to be working presently. It functions, it creates calibration tones, but it does not currently adjust the internal EQ, in audibly detectable ways.

This should not be so surprising to anyone who bought a Q950T as the memory for its 7-Band EQ also did not work for the first 4 months after its release (fixed on 12th Oct, 2020 in just one mode). And it still only works in one mode (Standard) after another firmware update since, on April 6th, 2021.

In other words, the EQ on the Q950T and Q950A remain broken on both, in all but the Standard mode. That's how common their software is. The Q950A is not fundamentally new, nor is its firmware, it is a Q950T with feature additions. Samsung's firmware is the pits and the Q950A has the same legacy problems as the Q950T (plus a few new ones) so absolutely the Q950A is not superior in modes, software or sound quality. That is a myth.

Plus people who tried them side by side said the subs were basically indistinguishable to each other, and I PM-ed some of them specifically to ask about this aspect.

Presumably Samsung will eventually fix and also develop further the sub-EQ within a firmware update. But for now, it appears the sub's auto-EQ is not working as advertised, as several people reported no audible differences despite it appearing to calibrate to an internal tone-generator. But I do expect it to eventually work and make the Q950A sub significantly better then the Q950T sub ... at some point ... probably soon.

But it hasn't yet.

Missing out on what exactly? There's no audible difference at present. However, I would prefer the Q950A for its 'Night Mode' and for the imaging potential of the rears (with further firmware update to that aspect). However, the rears are currently reported as producing a negligible to non-detectable image improvement, by people who did a direct comparison between Q950T (v1019.5 firmware) and the current Q950A. Though the Q950A rears were louder and needed turning down, as a result of having another driver + 70 watts more output.

Other than that there's no practical audible difference between the two systems. The calibration options with Samsung TV's are also practically irrelevant, as a feature, and the bar has never needed "voice enhancement", so that is a bit redundant (plus people who tried it did not like the sound of it).

None of the owners of both systems (at once) who tried them side by side would agree with what you've stated. See for instance this page, and the following page.

Much of the misconception of sound difference was created by the following video's incorrect conclusions.

Except he did not know that the sound of the Q950T had improved considerably with the last 2 firmware updates (v1017.5, on 12th Oct 2020, and v1019.5, on April 6th, 2021). As a result his comparison conclusions are inaccurate, and were actually out-of-date when that video was uploaded to youtube.

He's comparing the Q950A to an earlier version of the Q950T, the same one that I bought in the first week of Sept 2020. So his conclusions about sound differences are not valid.

What actually happened is the initial firmware for Q950A was finalized on about the 29th or 30th of March, 2021. Then the modes of Q950A were back-ported to the Q950T, within a very long-awaited firmware update which occurred just 1 week later on the 6th of April, 2021 ... which occurred just as the Q950A was showing up in shops within South East Asia.

Within that update, the Q950T got the identical mode developments as the Q950A. And that's why they now sound the same to owners and users of both, and also why that video and also even the Steve Withers review, did not realize that a Q950A and Q950T now sound basically indistinguishable.

Eventually Samsung will update the sub-EQ feature, and that is when they will begin to sound significantly different to each other. But right now you could not do a blindfold music, movie or game test, and pick them apart on sound, except the rears will be louder on a Q950A with the same (shared) system settings. What the guy in the video is saying about the Q950A's improved sound, now also applies to the Q950T too. He clearly was not aware of that and Steve probably wasn't either, before he published his Q950A review.

But as for which to buy I do expect the sub-auto-EQ function will eventually be made to work as expected, and this will then dramatically improve the sound of a Q950A, over a Q950T ... at some point.

For that reason alone I'd buy a Q950A now. But no one will be experiencing 'FOMO', or disappointment if they bought a much cheaper Q950T plus a PC or XBox to go with it, with the money saved from not buying a Q950A which currently sounds the same.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of Q950T's left in stock now though. A secondhand one is more likely to be found.
I agree with all of this and have had several of these debates with people over the past months and weeks.
Reviewers generally review using equipment loaned to them by the manufacturer, meaning they review a finite build, not subsequent updates. We experience this in the gaming world too, where games are quite poor on initial release but then get updates that can significantly transform the game (not talking about DLC or add-ons). In the gaming journalism world, this is often taken into account and games are given another look and users will also realise this, post-release.

Sadly, in AV tech reviews it is a one-time review that goes on the record. This needs to change.

Jkon1970

But it hasn't yet.

There are many complaints about the 950t being posted daily. Just saying.

Nure

Standard Member
Is this soundbar recommended in a living room where the couch is against the wall? Do the satellite speakers really need to be behind you? Or can they also function at 90 degree angle? And maybe a stupid question, but how exactly does a 11 channel soundbar do 5.1 and 7.1 audio?

andykillsu

Is this soundbar recommended in a living room where the couch is against the wall? Do the satellite speakers really need to be behind you? Or can they also function at 90 degree angle? And maybe a stupid question, but how exactly does a 11 channel soundbar do 5.1 and 7.1 audio?
You can place the surround speakers next to the couch. You just won’t be getting 100% the ideal experience but it will still be 100% better than no rear speakers. The soundbar takes 5.1 and 7.1 audio and upscales it to the 11.1.4. It is unclear on what it is using to do it, but on any sound mode other than standard, it will upscale to 11.1.4. Standard will play audio as it is received (7.1 plays as 7.1). Only issue I have with standard is Atmos/DTS:X will only be 7.1.4 when it could (and should) be 11.1.4.

lee82gx

Novice Member
Hello everyone,
(Sorry I realized there are 2 Q950A threads)

Id like to know if any of you pair the soundbar from a PC with DP1.2 to HDMI (my PC is a i3-6100 Windows 10 and also another NUC5i5MYBE with mini DP to HDMI), and then from the soundbar and OLD 1080p LCD TV that does not support ARC return.

If my media is sourced from Netflix windows 10 app, it should pass bitstream uncompressed LPCM directly to the soundbar, right?

If I were to playback a mkv file x264 with DD+ or Dolby Atmos, in order to get either I should also set a player such as KODI or VLC to bitstream, correct?

Last question....bear with me....For Around US$900 for Q950A, and $800 for the Q950T, (difference of 20 Big macs in Malaysia), does it make sense for me to save the money if I don't really need extra height and side sounds? I'm pretty sure most streaming services only offer 5.1 audio...The days of buying a bluray seem over.

My usage is mainly watching Movies on Netflix but also streaming Spotify.
Thank you everyone.

andykillsu

Hello everyone,
(Sorry I realized there are 2 Q950A threads)

Id like to know if any of you pair the soundbar from a PC with DP1.2 to HDMI (my PC is a i3-6100 Windows 10 and also another NUC5i5MYBE with mini DP to HDMI), and then from the soundbar and OLD 1080p LCD TV that does not support ARC return.

If my media is sourced from Netflix windows 10 app, it should pass bitstream uncompressed LPCM directly to the soundbar, right?

If I were to playback a mkv file x264 with DD+ or Dolby Atmos, in order to get either I should also set a player such as KODI or VLC to bitstream, correct?

Last question....bear with me....For Around US$900 for Q950A, and $800 for the Q950T, (difference of 20 Big macs in Malaysia), does it make sense for me to save the money if I don't really need extra height and side sounds? I'm pretty sure most streaming services only offer 5.1 audio...The days of buying a bluray seem over.

My usage is mainly watching Movies on Netflix but also streaming Spotify.
Thank you everyone.
I would not recommend that you buy the Q950T, it has many connection and drop out issues. If you use player like Kodi, you should be able to get full lossless audio.

Using the Netflix App on Windows, you will be able to get Dolby Atmos via DD+ as well.

As long as you connect your PC to the soundbar and then the soundbar to the old TV (I suggest you try upgrading the old TV) you should be fine. One issue you might have is not all DP to HDMI adapters play nicely with passing that type of audio, so you might run into issues there, but if you have a pure HDMI to HDMI connection, you should be okay.

lee82gx

Novice Member
I would not recommend that you buy the Q950T, it has many connection and drop out issues. If you use player like Kodi, you should be able to get full lossless audio.

Using the Netflix App on Windows, you will be able to get Dolby Atmos via DD+ as well.

As long as you connect your PC to the soundbar and then the soundbar to the old TV (I suggest you try upgrading the old TV) you should be fine. One issue you might have is not all DP to HDMI adapters play nicely with passing that type of audio, so you might run into issues there, but if you have a pure HDMI to HDMI connection, you should be okay.
Thank you for the confirmation. I hesitated last night and didn't order the HW-Q950A yet because, my dear wife didn't bless the purchase completely. I suppose if the itch is strong I'll do it soon.

PlanetaryReference

Where? I watch the relevant threads and all people are basically asking is how to get all of their gear working together, basic nuts and bolts stuff, much like is occurring in the Q950A thread. It's been like that since about early April.

Last edited:

PlanetaryReference

I would not recommend that you buy the Q950T, it has many connection and drop out issues. If

I have experienced none of that in just on 12 months of constant daily use. When do you think these problems will kick in for me? You're generalizing again, and it's untrue, if it were true I would not own it, I would own a Q950A. The Q950T's operation has been just as reliable and as dependable as my fridge, stove or the hot water system from day one. It did have bugs, and now it doesn't.

The one remaining significant bug that it does have is also present on Q950A. However the Q950A has new bugs in it which the Q950T does not have at all.

Last edited:

Jkon1970

Where? I watch the relevant threads and all people are basically asking is how to get all of their gear working together, basic nuts and bolts stuff, much like is occurring in the Q950A thread. It's been like that since about early April.
One just went to the sonos on a thread that you're on.

lgans316

Distinguished Member

95% of the complaints are related to flaky eARC/HDMI 2.1. Every thread is filled with it these days. Annoying for non-gamers like me :)

PlanetaryReference

One just went to the sonos on a thread that you're on.

The current Q950A thread page 89:

"So my rears both died today, just wont pair no matter what I try. Man stuff today is just so poorly made"

You're just kidding yourself if you believe a Q950A isn't the same as a Q950T in almost every way, except a few feature additions, it has the same issues and a few new ones as well.

Jkon1970

The current Q950A thread page 89:

"So my rears both died today, just wont pair no matter what I try. Man stuff today is just so poorly made"

You're just kidding yourself if you believe a Q950A isn't the same as a Q950T in almost every way, except a few feature additions, it has the same issues and a few new ones as well.
I gotta go with what Andy says between the two. He helps us out here man snd it's not boring at all. It's helpful.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Hisense TVs get Disney+ on VIDAA smart OS
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern launches entry level SR25 MKII portable music player
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG rumoured to release 97-inch OLED TV in 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray (UK) for Halloween 2021