Samsung HW-Q950A Soundbar Review & Comments

CaroleBaskin

All Samsung have to do is offer an optional box containing wireless adapter for sub with a sub out and ability to pair with another wireless sub. If they do this, then I would steer clear of buying separates next month and move the soundbar to my living room.
Why don’t you look into WiSa? I’m not sure about multiple subs but it seems to fit everything you seem to want otherwise?

WATTS

Crazy idea, is there’s any way to use say the 950 system and an AVR system at same time. I’m thinking you would need some kind of eArc splitter?

does my Sony STR DN1080 have a secondary output to take that into say then earc on the 950 soundbar so I could use both?

Last edited:

thothsong

Crazy idea, is there’s any way to use say the 950 system and an AVR system at same time. I’m thinking you would need some kind of eArc splitter?

does my Sony STR DN1080 have a secondary output to take that into say then earc on the 950 soundbar so I could use both?
If your devices are plugged into the AVR and the AVR will simultaneously send audio to speakers and HDMI out, then yes. If your devices are plugged into the TV, and your AVR has two HDMI outs, and if the AVR will repeat eARC-received audio into the second HDMI out, then yes. The upcoming HDFury Vrroom should also work, taking in eARC-received audio and sending it to two different HDMI outs (one normal HDMI out, one via eARC connection). I'm not positive if the existing HDFury Diva will work (I have the Diva but not an eARC-capable TV to test it). Don't know how well you'd be able to control audio synchronization in any of those setups, though.

WATTS

If your devices are plugged into the AVR and the AVR will simultaneously send audio to speakers and HDMI out, then yes. If your devices are plugged into the TV, and your AVR has two HDMI outs, and if the AVR will repeat eARC-received audio into the second HDMI out, then yes. The upcoming HDFury Vrroom should also work, taking in eARC-received audio and sending it to two different HDMI outs (one normal HDMI out, one via eARC connection). I'm not positive if the existing HDFury Diva will work (I have the Diva but not an eARC-capable TV to test it). Don't know how well you'd be able to control audio synchronization in any of those setups, though.
Thanks.

the trouble will be playing Netflix and app content won’t earc need to go back to the amp and back to the soundbar?

is there a easy way to loop and pass through through sort of thing ?

thothsong

the trouble will be playing Netflix and app content won’t earc need to go back to the amp and back to the soundbar?
That was covered in what I wrote. I don't have your AVR, but I gather it supports eARC and has 2 HDMI outs. If the AVR is capable of routing the audio that comes back over eARC to both the speakers and also to the other HDMI out, then you could connect the soundbar to the other HDMI out. If your AVR is not capable of that, then one of the mentioned HDFury devices could be used instead; it would be connected to the TV's eARC port instead, and the AVR and soundbar connected to it.

WATTS

That was covered in what I wrote. I don't have your AVR, but I gather it supports eARC and has 2 HDMI outs. If the AVR is capable of routing the audio that comes back over eARC to both the speakers and also to the other HDMI out, then you could connect the soundbar to the other HDMI out. If your AVR is not capable of that, then one of the mentioned HDFury devices could be used instead; it would be connected to the TV's eARC port instead, and the AVR and soundbar connected to it.
Thanks.

seesm it’s possible here?

Only issue I can see is the lag between the two sources ?

WATTS

That was covered in what I wrote. I don't have your AVR, but I gather it supports eARC and has 2 HDMI outs. If the AVR is capable of routing the audio that comes back over eARC to both the speakers and also to the other HDMI out, then you could connect the soundbar to the other HDMI out. If your AVR is not capable of that, then one of the mentioned HDFury devices could be used instead; it would be connected to the TV's eARC port instead, and the AVR and soundbar connected to

When you connect two Dolby Vision-compatible TVs to the receiver and select [HDMI A+B], Dolby Vision content is output in the HDR10 or SDR (Standard Dynamic Range) format. To enjoy Dolby Vision content as it is, connect only one Dolby Vision-compatible TV to the receiver, or select either [HDMI A] or [HDMI B].

I would presume this also means any HDR10+ content also limits to HDR10 content so using dual output doesn’t have enough bandwidth to output x2 HDR10+ channels?

damo09

Anyone played or watched any games or films on this sub a friend of mines looking into it but isn’t sure. Also what’s better this or the Sonos arc. Or is there no comparison

andykillsu

Anyone played or watched any games or films on this sub a friend of mines looking into it but isn’t sure. Also what’s better this or the Sonos arc. Or is there no comparison
This is better than the Sonos Arc. You get HDMI-in ports, DTS support and more Atmos height speakers. You get a much wider sound stage and with all the channels of the Q950A, the 3D bubble sounds amazing and you will be impressed how good it sounds.

CaptainNemo

Standard Member
Listening to the Samsung, Arc and Bose 700 , I thought the 700 was even better than the Arc…. Samsung way better..

damo09

Has anyone got their surrounds wall mounted?? Any pics and which mounts do you go for?

cliveg

Hi all....still going backwards and fowards with either the Q950T or the Q950A. (The price difference may lean me towards the Q950T)

I will be getting one of them eventually(!), so can anyone recommend stands for the rears?

TIA,
Clive

andykillsu

Hi all....still going backwards and fowards with either the Q950T or the Q950A. (The price difference may lean me towards the Q950T)

I will be getting one of them eventually(!), so can anyone recommend stands for the rears?

TIA,
Clive
I would stay away from the Q950T, there are many problems with it like interference causing the sound to drop out on the rears. The Q950A is just better in almost every way, better audio quality, room calibration features, better more immersive 3D audio and people say the sub is much better. If you wait a little longer for like black Friday, would can probably get this set on sale for about $1,000. In fact it had a recent sale on amazon like 2 to 3 weeks ago were it was going for that. I think if you get the Q950T, you will have FOMO.

ClemensRausch

Anyone saw, that there is a new firmware update for the q950a since August 12th? Anyone already gave it a try and knows what changed?

andykillsu

Anyone saw, that there is a new firmware update for the q950a since August 12th? Anyone already gave it a try and knows what changed?
It fixed the bass enhancement turning off the rear speakers for Dolby content. Also if fixed some distortion in the center channel someone was having. I would recommend you download it.

bobaudio

Standard Member
What is the firmware # I have yet to see it

bobaudio

Standard Member
Its 1007.4 and you can download it from their website and install it via a USB stick.

I personally have the hw q950t so was just curious.
I actually got it just wanted to make sure my 950a is set for auto update. Thank you

Gersho

Novice Member
Hi Everyone,
I've just got Q950A and having trouble to actually confirm if I'm getting Atmos on the soundbar. My connection is pretty straight forward. PC with Nvidia RTX2060 Super connected to the soundbar HDMI1 input. Soundbar HDMI-out connected to Sony 75XH9096 HDMI3 (eARC). Windows 10 speaker setup shows Dolby Atmos for home theater (see attched picture).
1. Playing from PC - soundbar display shows only HDMI1 (no DOLBY on the display).
2. Playing from Sony TV (e.g. Disney+) - soundbar display shows eARC (no DOLBY on the display).
This is really driving me nuts. I appreciate any feedback.
Windows 10 speaker setup.PNG

damo09

I’m trying to run the auto set up. But when I cycle through the settings button auto eq doesn’t show up.
And like the poster above how do I update the firmware via the app

Denner76

Standard Member
I could not update via the app, so did it manually via usb, you have to put only the firmware itself on the usb drive and it has to be formatted as fat32, at least that worked for me

thothsong

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

StormAudio launches ISP Core 16 AV processor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cabasse launches limited edition Pearl Pelegrina speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 22nd September 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Creative introduces Sound Blaster Katana V2 soundbar