Samsung HW-Q930B Soundbar Review & Comments

jdevil

Distinguished Member
With rear speakers included for a £1k this can't be beaten for price, usually they'll have a £300 rebate in the summer so this can be had for £800 or so.

Sir QD oled

With rear speakers included for a £1k this can't be beaten for price, usually they'll have a £300 rebate in the summer so this can be had for £800 or so.
Agree but with only 1 hdmi in, it is a bit of a letdown . :(

gamblor

Great review John, very helpful. It’s a close runner up but the numerous differences add up, so looks like the Q990B will be the one for me later in the year. The price jump is quite steep but hopefully there will be good deals to be had.

whiteswan

Is there only me totally disillusioned with no 120khz passthrough and vrr.

Is there actually a sound bar that has this ?

Also for £1100 (or even £800 with a discount) I would want more than 1 hdmi in.

Bit of a step down from the Q900 for me - although this does have rears included.

Dave

RetroDaz

I quite like the idea of a sound bar but my LG C8 suffers from lip synch issues. Can this sound bar run lag in minus figures because image is always ahead of audio so any adjustments simply widen the gap.

zubeir

Does anyone know if you can place the subwoofer horizontally?
Shouldn't be an issue as bass frequency is not focused like a speaker, and the frequency is more dispersed. As long as you have space for the porthole to breathe and it not positioned too close to the wall.

Jkon1970

Shouldn't be an issue as bass frequency is not focused like a speaker, and the frequency is more dispersed. As long as you have space for the porthole to breathe and it not positioned too close to the wall.
How far away is the minimum space from a wall or tv stand wall ? I have mine about a good few inches away from a wall and the side of the woofer facing the tv stand wall. Would it matter if I turned the woofer where the side of it faced out to my sitting area or should I leave it where it is ?.

zubeir

How far away is the minimum space from a wall or tv stand wall ? I have mine about a good few inches away from a wall and the side of the woofer facing the tv stand wall. Would it matter if I turned the woofer where the side of it faced out to my sitting area or should I leave it where it is ?.
It can also depend on the size of the subwoofer porthole, the link below should help you, but you can experiment by playing the same source and from where you sit to get a feel of the best bass experience. I have mine located on the right side of the TV, plenty of space between wall and porthole with the bass speaker facing me.

btanis20

Standard Member
Is there only me totally disillusioned with no 120khz passthrough and vrr.

Is there actually a sound bar that has this ?

Also for £1100 (or even £800 with a discount) I would want more than 1 hdmi in.

Bit of a step down from the Q900 for me - although this does have rears included.

Dave
No, you're not the only one that's disappointed by the lack of 4K/120Hz, VRR, ALLM passthrough with a lot of these new soundbars.

The only soundbar that comes to mind that supports 4K/120Hz is the Sony HT-A7000, but it didn't support VRR and ALLM at the time. Now that the PS5 recently got VRR, I'm assuming that Sony would either have patched the HT-A7000 to passthrough this feature by now or they're working on doing so soon? (Considering that select Sony TVs received a firmware update to support VRR.)

No, you're not the only one that's disappointed by the lack of 4K/120Hz, VRR, ALLM passthrough with a lot of these new soundbars.

The only soundbar that comes to mind that supports 4K/120Hz is the Sony HT-A7000, but it didn't support VRR and ALLM at the time. Now that the PS5 recently got VRR, I'm assuming that Sony would either have patched the HT-A7000 to passthrough this feature by now or they're working on doing so soon? (Considering that select Sony TVs received a firmware update to support VRR.)
Actually... Sony's HT-A7000, HT-A5000 soundbar and HT-A9 all have HDMI 2.1 ports with 40Gbps bandwidth.

outoftheknow

Actually... Sony's HT-A7000, HT-A5000 soundbar and HT-A9 all have HDMI 2.1 ports with 40Gbps bandwidth.
No such thing as a 2.1 HDMI socket of course. I think the point was not all the video features of the 2.1 standard are supported (passed through).

I’m not sure this will change much since manufacturers of soundbars would expect video devices with those capabilities to be plugged into a video device capable of dealing with them directly.

Same manufacturers of TVs of course don’t necessarily sort out audio passthrough on the video device so alm the audio streams PDs thorough untouched by the TV audio processing (which doesn’t even need to have processing capability at all). Every HDMI standard has had the multichannel audio bandwidth in, and the audio return channel only needs the ethernet wiring to be there and connected (been optional forever) to work.

Whoever is at fault, it isn’t just a soundbar issue to fix. Personally I think the video device should be the one to passthrough audio correctly. It is the video device for a start and that is where new features have been added in the HDMI standard. Even eARC where they have implemented it isn’t’t something “new” they need to get their head around.

Passthrough is supposed to mean audio is sent from the HDMI input socket to the audio return channel without any audio processing. The haphazard way manufacturers have implanted the optional features required seem to mean that doesn’t happen more often than not. It isn’t line the soundbar not supporting an added video feature or two (or three). The audio part of the HDMI standard has had nothing added that properly implemented passthrough couldn’t just carry on handling.

Heap scorn on the TV manufacturers IMHO.

Or spend even more on audio extractors (and similar including playing with EDIDs and other things that shouldn’t be necessary) and just accept device manufacturers will forever faff around and never be able to fix something that shouldn’t even be broken

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom