Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar Review & Comments

I wouldn’t say it’s common but people have had this issue. Sometimes it’s related to WiFi interference. Do you have a router nearby? Might also be worth limiting 5g WiFi channels to the lower end of the 5g frequencies within the router. The sub and rears communicate via 5.8ghz frequency. If that doesn’t solve it, I’d swap the sub out for a new one as it’s probably defective.

This solved it, thanks! Just when you posted, I realised that this starting coincided with us getting a new ASUS WIFI router which sits close by.

Yeah, when I just got this bar last year may I lost arc connection. Idiotic repair people from Samsung could not fix it. I found a way to solve it at the community's website from Samsung.. After fixing that no problems what so ever.

Hi, do you have a link please to the fix that you found on the community website? I just got a HW-Q90R on Monday and yesterday afternoon, when turning TV on the soundbar had lost Hdmi Arc connection. Had to unplug from mains and start from scratch to get it to work again. Hoping it was a one off, but would be good to know if there's a fix in case it happens again

Thanks!

Hi, do you have a link please to the fix that you found on the community website? I just got a HW-Q90R on Monday and yesterday afternoon, when turning TV on the soundbar had lost Hdmi Arc connection. Had to unplug from mains and start from scratch to get it to work again. Hoping it was a one off, but would be good to know if there's a fix in case it happens again

Thanks!

Just do this.

1. Pull all hdmi cables from TV and soundbars
2. Switch off both soundbar and TV
3. Hold power on button for 15 secs to drain battery TV
4. Leave it like this for 30 min
5. Put in power cables bar and tv
6. Switch soundbar to d.in
7. Now connect all hdmi cables

This is the way it worked for me. I never had any problems what so ever.

Yes, updated the rears after updating the main bar via smart things app

Since I swapped hdmi cables around it's not lost arc connection again yet. If it does again, will try your method!

I think I have an issue with my subwoofer and was wandering has anyone experienced the same.
In bass intensive scenes certain frequencies cause my Sub to vibrate internally, It emits this weird vibration mostly via the port hole on rear.

When I first got the soundbar, I thought the sub was just vibrating something in the room or vibrating against the floor but as the problem has worsened, I have now investigated and its definitely coming from the sub.

Has anybody got their rears on speaker stands? If so, which stands are you using and how much did you pay?
There are a few generic stands on Amazon UK, but it's guess work if they'll be any good, as the rear speakers are quite heavy.

Has anybody got their rears on speaker stands? If so, which stands are you using and how much did you pay?
There are a few generic stands on Amazon UK, but it's guess work if they'll be any good, as the rear speakers are quite heavy.

Using the Eono stands from amazon. Think I paid around £30 or £40

Hi All,
I recently purchased a Q90R here in the Uk to match up with my Q90R 55" TV. I am struggling to get the rears and the sub even remotely working even though they are paired (showing a static blue light).

I have the soundbar's ARC HDMI connected to the Arc input on my TV's One Connect Box. I have an Apple 4K box connected directly to the soundbar - it was connected to the TV but even then I couldn't get rears+sub doing a thing. 5.1 content on Amazon Prime (via ATV) also results in the same thing.

Upon playing back Atmos content from my apple library, Dolby Atmos does appear on the small LED screen of the bar but I get nothing from the rears and sub, even with them set at +6. I have tried the pressing down on the remote's pad update feature and the Sub and Rears seem to be at the latest firmware that I've seen on here. I have also tried disconnecting the entire system and switching the parts on in order as mentioned in the manual.

My SkyQ box even though it is setup for DD also doesn't do much for the sub+rears.

All I have left is to attempt a factory reset after I try and update the bar with the latest firmware slapped on a USB stick, just to be sure. The smartthings app says no update available however.

I am using 2.1 UGreen HDMI's all round fyi. This weekend is the first chance I'll get to properly play with this thing so I'll search for some Atmos test tracks and lob them onto a usb stick too.

Edit: Ok the bar wouldn't even recognise a FAT32 formatted stick so I left that process alone. I went and tried an Atmos soundtest video on YouTube and that woke the sub and rears up. I then went and tried a few more videos before settling on 4k Pacific Rim in my appletv library and that was certainly utilising the rears and sub this time. After playing around it seems the rears are heavily source dependant and as I am new to soundbars I wasn't really aware.

Last edited:
Hi All,
I recently purchased a Q90R here in the Uk to match up with my Q90R 55" TV. I am struggling to get the rears and the sub even remotely working even though they are paired (showing a static blue light).

I have the soundbar's ARC HDMI connected to the Arc input on my TV's One Connect Box. I have an Apple 4K box connected directly to the soundbar - it was connected to the TV but even then I couldn't get rears+sub doing a thing. 5.1 content on Amazon Prime (via ATV) also results in the same thing.

Upon playing back Atmos content from my apple library, Dolby Atmos does appear on the small LED screen of the bar but I get nothing from the rears and sub, even with them set at +6. I have tried the pressing down on the remote's pad update feature and the Sub and Rears seem to be at the latest firmware that I've seen on here. I have also tried disconnecting the entire system and switching the parts on in order as mentioned in the manual.

My SkyQ box even though it is setup for DD also doesn't do much for the sub+rears.

All I have left is to attempt a factory reset after I try and update the bar with the latest firmware slapped on a USB stick, just to be sure. The smartthings app says no update available however.

I am using 2.1 UGreen HDMI's all round fyi. This weekend is the first chance I'll get to properly play with this thing so I'll search for some Atmos test tracks and lob them onto a usb stick too.

Edit: Ok the bar wouldn't even recognise a FAT32 formatted stick so I left that process alone. I went and tried an Atmos soundtest video on YouTube and that woke the sub and rears up. I then went and tried a few more videos before settling on 4k Pacific Rim in my appletv library and that was certainly utilising the rears and sub this time. After playing around it seems the rears are heavily source dependant and as I am new to soundbars I wasn't really aware.

Doing a test on YouTube has no point due to the fact YouTube does not play atmos.

Hi All,

You do also need to setup the proper sound output on your devices connected to the soundbar. Someting like "Passthrough" but you can also try to let the source (Apple box or TV) decode the sound.
You should also try optical connection for standard DD/DTS.

Thanks for the replies. Yep I know about YouTube not playing atmos or anything. Oddly sound was coming out of the rears+sub and this was the first I'd heard of the rears and sub actually doing something.

I have since rejigged the setup and connected my PS4 Pro and my AppleTV 4k to the soundbar direct, whilst the SkyQ box is connected to the TV via it's OneConnectBox. The latter has picture sync issues with DD is selected as a sound output and it only returns to normal when I select 'Normal' for sound. It is a well known issue and since the missus mostly uses sky I am not fussed.

Horizon Zero Dawn sounds absolutely fantastic on the PS4, as does the Close Encounters/Third Kind BR during the final UFO over Devil's Tower.

A bit silly question but I can't find out how to connect the Q90R to my WIFI network/Imac (using Bluetooth now) . Is there a tutorial somewhere? Thanks!

My friend Bought one at a greatly reduced price as the new Model came out , It does not
hold a Candle to the Q90R .
No need for AMPs or Speakers around the room anymore as this Soundbar Delivers.
Before buying seeing in store , seeing everyone walk away they looked at it as they left ?
The new Model of 2020 has Cloth on the front it looks Cheap and Tacky .
I already own a Old Yamaha Amp 671 with Tall Boy Speakers plus Sub , It works for me.
Anyone wanting to get a Good Sound Bar , Can't go far Wrong than the Q90R it Delivers.

A bit silly question but I can't find out how to connect the Q90R to my WIFI network/Imac (using Bluetooth now) . Is there a tutorial somewhere? Thanks!
[/QUOT
A tutorial should have been enclosed (unless you purchased second hand), but you can download one from the Samsung web-site anyway. The app for your phone is very, very poor and most of the time will not even connect with the sound bar. This is not just my experience but other users also have issues with it. If all else fails there is a button on the underneath of the SB that you press & hold in and you'll hear loud beep which indicates that you're connected. Most of the time the Samsung will self connect to Wi-Fi and auto download any software updates as long as it remains connected to the mains (does not need to actually be on). Regarding joining a LAN, I've had no luck as neither of my Mac Minis will recognise it, but more informed people may have better & more helpful info.

Last edited:
Hopefully someone can help me. Everytime I turn the soundbar off and turn it back on again it defaults to DIN for sky Q. The only way I can get ARC on is to turn anynet+ off and then back on again on the soundbar. I have anynet+ turned on the TV and sky Q.

Hi Guys
Getting really frustrated with this now but its happening more and more often. The problem is the soundbar sometimes doesn't turn on when the TV turns on. I have Sky Q box connected to my LGB9 via HDMI then eARC HDMI from TV to soundbar. Turn Sky box on which fires up the TV but like i said sometimes soundbar wont turn on. I have to either turn on via power button on top of the bar which powers up as normal but sometimes the sound doesnt come on and then have to power off at the mains and power back on.
Anyone else experiencing problems like this and more importantly does anyone have a fix??
Cheers

Have you tried different HDMI cables?

I can set the Samsung to WIFI with the app or the fysical buttons but it does not show up in any of my Apple gadgets after that so cannot stream to it through WIFI.

Samsung HW-Q90R has good features. I like the sound of it, which creates a natural sound.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom