Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar Review & Comments

Sometime I also see the Atmos content as 5.1 only or Netflix (internal Philips TV app) does not play in the highest possible resolution - I suppose it depends on the actual internet connection bandwidth. My wife and kids wer watching Netflix on two other devices + my TV and the resolution was lower and no DA available.
Bandwidth have been throttled due to Corona.

Thank you fella all updated now
Yes, if you connected to WiFi it probably did automatically. You can force the sub and rears to update though. When you turn on the soundbar let it sit for 3 minutes. Then tap the volume button and hold down on the pad on the remote until update flashes on the soundbar screen. It’ll flash update until it’s done and automatically restart, let it sit for for seconds to make sure it’s done.
To check for your current firmware, turn the soundbar off and hold the settings button on the remote until the firmware numbers starts scrolling across the screen. W (sub)- should be either 0240.0 or 0.241 depending on which version your updating from. S, RR and RL should be 0136.0
What exactly do you mean when you say ..hold down on the pad ? thanks for any help .

What exactly do you mean when you say ..hold down on the pad ? thanks for any help .
On the remote there’s a circular pad. You can press left, right, up, and down. For this instance you want to press and hold down on the pad to force the sub and rears update

Bandwidth have been throttled due to Corona.
I know, but this limitation should already be canceled. But, who knows.
What is annoying, is that I see the VISON/ATMOS notice on the main screen of the movie/show and when play it, only VISION runs and ATMOS only sometimes

I know, but this limitation should already be canceled. But, who knows.
What is annoying, is that I see the VISON/ATMOS notice on the main screen of the movie/show and when play it, only VISION runs and ATMOS only sometimes

In which language are you watching movies? Found the same, it shows Vision and Atmos batch on title screen but not playing Atmos then when using german language. Atmos is only active for some and most of the time only English version.

In which language are you watching movies? Found the same, it shows Vision and Atmos batch on title screen but not playing Atmos then when using german language. Atmos is only active for some and most of the time only English version.
English with Czech subs (of course Atmos is available in some languages only)

Having trouble figuring out how to play music services through the soundbar. In the Smart Things app, the only thing available via WiFi is Tune In. I see there is another app called "Wireless Audio-Multiroom", but this gets HORRIBLE reviews. Is there any other way to get Tidal, Amazon Music, Spotify etc. to play via WiFi? Or must I go through this multi-room app? Or a secret door to connect the service to Smart Things?

What HDMI cables do you guys use? a previous set of 4K cables couldn’t pass DV. The set I have now are 8k and have been working okay, but at times I’ll get dropped frames on hdr content through my shield, which is plugged into the q90r. I have an e8, so no eARC. I recently tried a set of monoprice 8k, but the plug was too high profile and the angle the cord made from the HDMI port on the q90r was too harsh. The cord wouldn’t work properly. I wish the HDMI ports were better placed to avoid this problem. So, looking for quality cables with low profile plugs, or a better solution.

What HDMI cables do you guys use? a previous set of 4K cables couldn’t pass DV. The set I have now are 8k and have been working okay, but at times I’ll get dropped frames on hdr content through my shield, which is plugged into the q90r. I have an e8, so no eARC. I recently tried a set of monoprice 8k, but the plug was too high profile and the angle the cord made from the HDMI port on the q90r was too harsh. The cord wouldn’t work properly. I wish the HDMI ports were better placed to avoid this problem. So, looking for quality cables with low profile plugs, or a better solution.

I use belkin, where are you seeing dropped frames? Netflix Dolby vision?

I have seen dropped frames on Netflix Dolby vision only on my shield 2019 connected to my Q90r on my B8 but if I use the match frame rate beta there’s no dropped frames.

Remember most Netflix Dolby vision originals are 24.00 and not 23.976 so if your shield is set to 59.94 you will get a dropped frame every 40 seconds, the match rate beta fixes this.

Disney plus Dolby vision has no issues even without match frame rate beta and amazon HDR10 has no frame rate drops too.

I use belkin, where are you seeing dropped frames? Netflix Dolby vision?

I have seen dropped frames on Netflix Dolby vision only on my shield 2019 connected to my Q90r on my B8 but if I use the match frame rate beta there’s no dropped frames.

Remember most Netflix Dolby vision originals are 24.00 and not 23.976 so if your shield is set to 59.94 you will get a dropped frame every 40 seconds, the match rate beta fixes this.

Disney plus Dolby vision has no issues even without match frame rate beta and amazon HDR10 has no frame rate drops too.
Thanks for the reply. So match frame works well? I had it happen probably about every 40 seconds watching the old guard today on Netflix which is DV. When I tried to watch zerozerozero last week on Amazon it happened much more often. When I watched it on the Amazon tv app it was fine though. It was HDR, wonder if it was 30.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. So match frame works well? I had it happen probably about every 40 seconds watching the old guard today on Netflix which is DV. When I tried to watch zerozerozero last week on Amazon it happened much more often. When I watched it on the Amazon tv app it was fine though. It was HDR, wonder if it was 30.

Yeah watched the old guard in Dolby vision, that’s definitely filmed in 24.00 and not the usual 23.976 hence the every 40 second fram drop, I had no frame drops when turning on shields match frame rate beta.

If you don’t know you can add match frame rate beta to the quick settings so when you start watching a Netflix film you just press the settings button on your shield remote and then turn on match frame rate.

shields match frame Rate beta only works with Netflix not amazon prime, for amazon you can download the refresh rate tool app. Not watched zerozerozero so can’t say what frame rate but watched the expanse, hanna, Alex rider in HDR10 without any drops with shield set to 59.94 so those shows must be filmed in 23.976.

Last edited:
i can get this soundbar for the price of sonos arc - would it be better buy? i mean, would get soundbar and sub and rears (but probably wont use rears, no place for them - would q90r be any good without rears?) for same price as sonos arc without sub without rears... is lacking room calibration an issue?

i can get this soundbar for the price of sonos arc - would it be better buy? i mean, would get soundbar and sub and rears (but probably wont use rears, no place for them - would q90r be any good without rears?) for same price as sonos arc without sub without rears... is lacking room calibration an issue?
Q80r forgoes the rear speakers of the Q90r.... Cheaper and still packing premium features from the Q90r if that's your bag.

Room calibration on the SN11RG works well and compared to the N950/Q90r it can utilise more powerful rear speakers and aids balancing the result. Manually tuning the Q90r/N950 with a hard limit of +6 on the atmos 'top' channels can limit the atmos bubble effect, it's still good, just not as good as the SN11. The SN11 however has its own glaring flaws...

Can anyone give me some advice. I’m thinking of getting a q90r to go with my 2020 LG oled 65GX.
Will I have any issues playing Dolby atmos using the in built apps in the tv like Netflix/Disney+??
Has anyone had any issues pairing the q90r with an LG oled?

Q80r forgoes the rear speakers of the Q90r.... Cheaper and still packing premium features from the Q90r if that's your bag.

Room calibration on the SN11RG works well and compared to the N950/Q90r it can utilise more powerful rear speakers and aids balancing the result. Manually tuning the Q90r/N950 with a hard limit of +6 on the atmos 'top' channels can limit the atmos bubble effect, it's still good, just not as good as the SN11. The SN11 however has its own glaring flaws...
I'm pointing my friend towards the SN11RG, but what glaring flaws does it have?

@skingg LPCM 5.1 audio on the SN11 plays through the left and right side speakers of the bar and not the rears. Also an issue where the subwoofer is not utilised on any rear speaker directed sound in any sound mode. If you turn around in a game to utilise the rears you can hear the issue considerably as all life drops from the sound.

Can anyone give me some advice. I’m thinking of getting a q90r to go with my 2020 LG oled 65GX.
Will I have any issues playing Dolby atmos using the in built apps in the tv like Netflix/Disney+??
Has anyone had any issues pairing the q90r with an LG oled?
You should not. All those built in apps use DD+ which carries lossy atmos. Lossy atmos can be sent via both ARC and eARC no problem. Both the GX and q90r have eARC so you can also hook up a 4k blu ray player and pass lossless atmos via dolby trueHD. I'm not sure about the GX, but I know other 2020 LG oled's have dropped support for dts passthrough which is only used for physical media like blu ray. Luckily the q90r has two HDMI inputs, and it plays dts, and dts:x. If you hook your blu ray player up to the q90r you should be able watch about anything and everything with no problem.

I have an older LG oled, the e8, which only supports ARC. I'm able to get atmos from built in apps, and have no lip sync issues (a potential problem with ARC, but not eARC). I plug an nivida shield pro, and a 4k blu ray player into the bar for lossless audio and passthrough dolby vision and other 4k hdr just fine. If you have any problems it most likely a defective bar or tv. Just make sure you have decent 4k cables

You should not. All those built in apps use DD+ which carries lossy atmos. Lossy atmos can be sent via both ARC and eARC no problem. Both the GX and q90r have eARC so you can also hook up a 4k blu ray player and pass lossless atmos via dolby trueHD. I'm not sure about the GX, but I know other 2020 LG oled's have dropped support for dts passthrough which is only used for physical media like blu ray. Luckily the q90r has two HDMI inputs, and it plays dts, and dts:x. If you hook your blu ray player up to the q90r you should be able watch about anything and everything with no problem.

I have an older LG oled, the e8, which only supports ARC. I'm able to get atmos from built in apps, and have no lip sync issues (a potential problem with ARC, but not eARC). I plug an nivida shield pro, and a 4k blu ray player into the bar for lossless audio and passthrough dolby vision and other 4k hdr just fine. If you have any problems it most likely a defective bar or tv. Just make sure you have decent 4k cables

thank you for the advice. I’m probably going to order the q90r. I’m not a fan of the new q950t sound bar design and Same goes for the LG soundbars.

another quick question. Dose the q90r sound bar inform you when your listening to Dolby atmos via the led display on the sound bar.

Would q90r males sense without rears? And can be rears sold/used with any other soundbar?

another quick question. Dose the q90r sound bar inform you when your listening to Dolby atmos via the led display on the sound bar.
It does, dolby atmos will scroll across the screen and if you try to change the mode it’ll say not available

Needing advice. I am looking at getting the Q90R or Q950T. Looking at advice for the best way to set up HDMI for it. Hearing that the Dolby Vision passthrough is a bit patchy looking at the ideal set up.
I have a LG B9 TV and currently use a YSP-2700. I have a UB820, Apple TV 4K and 2019 Nvidia Shield Pro connected to the Soundbar. I have a PS4 and Foxtel connected to the tv and obviously HDMI ARC. I like having Apple TV plugged into the soundbar for Airplay. Thoughts?

Needing advice. I am looking at getting the Q90R or Q950T. Looking at advice for the best way to set up HDMI for it. Hearing that the Dolby Vision passthrough is a bit patchy looking at the ideal set up.
I have a LG B9 TV and currently use a YSP-2700. I have a UB820, Apple TV 4K and 2019 Nvidia Shield Pro connected to the Soundbar. I have a PS4 and Foxtel connected to the tv and obviously HDMI ARC. I like having Apple TV plugged into the soundbar for Airplay. Thoughts?
I don’t know about the q950t, but with the q90r and your b9 you’ll get eARC. I’d probably try plugging everything into the tv and see how well it passes through lossless audio. I think the b9 can passthrough dts and dtsx too, so you should be fine. If you have issues then I’d try plugging into the bar. I have a shield pro and the ub820 too, but I have no eARC with my e8. I plug them into the bar and can passthrough Dolby vision pretty well with 2.1 cables. I had decent 2.0 cables, but I could only passthrough DV with 2.1. I don’t really like how they placed the HDMI ports on the bar. I feel like it forces the cables to bend harshly, so the less cables you have to attach the better.

I bought Monoprice ultra slim cables from amazon. I had a Q90R for a brief time due to having issues with audio drop out issues which and noticed how bad the placement of the HDMI ports are on the soundbar so hopefully the Slim cables fix that. Would you run the Shield or UB820 through the soundbar if im running Apple TV through it?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom