Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar Review & Comments

4k screen has nothing to do with streaming lossy Atmos from Netflix / Disney.

Well it kinda does as like I said I don’t think you can stream Atmos from amazon unless it’s detecting a 4K display to output to. Not sure on Netflix tbh but you would need to be on their highest tier subscription and Disney, are they even streaming Atmos at the mo on their reduced bandwidth? And he did try to get Atmos going using Prime and YouTube.

I think you’d need a 4K display to stream Atmos from Prime or Netflix as they only have Dolby Digital+ on their 4K content. You’d be better testing it with a blu ray with an Atmos soundtrack and it will also be lossless using Blu ray which is a lot better than the lossy Atmos you’ll get through streaming. Also I’m sure you can’t get Atmos sound at all through YouTube.
I think it depends on the BR player he owns - it should have two HDMI outputs - one for audio, one for video.
You are right that Youtube does not play surround sound.

My settings
Bass 2
Trebble 3
Centre, front, size 4
Back & up 5

I’ve always wondered about these type of settings. Wouldn’t you get the same result have backs and up at 1 and the rest as zero but turning the overall volume up? I have always assume the individual volumes are in addition to the overall volume (more than happy to be corrected 🙂)

I’ve always wondered about these type of settings. Wouldn’t you get the same result have backs and up at 1 and the rest as zero but turning the overall volume up? I have always assume the individual volumes are in addition to the overall volume (more than happy to be corrected 🙂)

Don't have to use them. I find after testing that these are best for me.

FYI - Disney+ through the Roku did register as "Dolby Atmos" on the bar, so I think somethings up with Amazon Prime (totally forgot about the COVID reduction in streaming quality - so maybe they haven't increased it back up yet? I'll need to research that - thanks for the reminder about that). So for the record, this confirms that the following setup will deliver Atmos (even if lossy due to streaming) Roku Ultra --> Soundbar --> Video only output to old HMDI TV.

Anyone have thoughts on calibration? Discs or files out there for 7.1.4? Something that Samsung offers?

And any thoughts on if the sub can be muted?

Thanks again all!

FYI - Disney+ through the Roku did register as "Dolby Atmos" on the bar, so I think somethings up with Amazon Prime (totally forgot about the COVID reduction in streaming quality - so maybe they haven't increased it back up yet? I'll need to research that - thanks for the reminder about that). So for the record, this confirms that the following setup will deliver Atmos (even if lossy due to streaming) Roku Ultra --> Soundbar --> Video only output to old HMDI TV.

Anyone have thoughts on calibration? Discs or files out there for 7.1.4? Something that Samsung offers?

And any thoughts on if the sub can be muted?

Thanks again all!

Sub can be muted from the remote. Click the sub rocker

Don't have to use them. I find after testing that these are best for me.

Wasn’t intending to criticise, just wondered if I’m correct

Looks pretty sweet, I did notice the there’s no mention of Harmen Kardon at all. I wonder what happened to that connection. Also, it looks like the q900t is the same bar, just without rears

Looks pretty sweet, I did notice the there’s no mention of Harmen Kardon at all. I wonder what happened to that connection. Also, it looks like the q900t is the same bar, just without rears

Just like q85r is the same as 90r

Hi,

I love experimenting with new units. I recently bought the Bose Soundbar 700 with the bass and surround and put it against the Samsung Q90r with its Atmos and 7.1.4 set-up.

It helped me notice that even thou the Bose is more expensive, the Samsung is just as good and if you feed it Atmos its amazing.

Thank you.

Christ has anyone watched the cyberpunk trailer in atmos on the Dolby access app my word the bass when he gets out of car makes room shake best thing honestly

Can't wait to get this setup.
IMG_20200628_152855.jpg

You can download some testing files from www.demolandia.net, but I am afraid there is not too much to calibrate on our soundbar as you can`t change the volume and parameters of every single speaker. It is a shame there are only 3 EQ presets in Smart Shings app and none of them for different types of movies.

So, at least in the US, the price for hw-q90r dropped to $999.99 for now. Looks like Best Buy and Amazon are offering this price. Think the q950t is incoming very soon

I am keeping an eye on Q950TS. Wondering if the rears on the Samsung are as effective as the LG SN11 rears? Also the LG rears are a bit larger and heavier than the Samsung and that's proving to be effective while watching movies.

I am keeping an eye on Q950TS. Wondering if the rears on the Samsung are as effective as the LG SN11 rears? Also the LG rears are a bit larger and heavier than the Samsung and that's proving to be effective while watching movies.
Yeah, the dimensions for the rears on the q950t are very similar if not exactly the same as the q90r’s. Would suspect that they are used in a similar fashion. One can hope they’re as good as the sn11rg rears

Yeah, the dimensions for the rears on the q950t are very similar if not exactly the same as the q90r’s. Would suspect that they are used in a similar fashion. One can hope they’re as good as the sn11rg rears

I see. The rears on the LG are as effective as my separates if I am being honest. I have now almost found a permanent solution to adding my Active subwoofer into the mix which means I don't have to worry about the missing infrasonic deep bass and this solution should apply to any soundbar.

How is your Q90R fairing in comparison to your ex-LG SN11 ?

I’m about to return the Q80r. Is this bar worth it with the rears?
I think so, the rears on the q90r come with upfiring speakers which don’t come with the separate rear speaker packages. Plus, at the moment the q90r is only $100-200 dollars more which is a steal

I think so, the rears on the q90r come with upfiring speakers which don’t come with the separate rear speaker packages. Plus, at the moment the q90r is only $100-200 dollars more which is a steal

thanks dude Yeah it’s definitely worth the extra then. What stands are best for rears

I see. The rears on the LG are as effective as my separates if I am being honest. I have now almost found a permanent solution to adding my Active subwoofer into the mix which means I don't have to worry about the missing infrasonic deep bass and this solution should apply to any soundbar.

How is your Q90R fairing in comparison to your ex-LG SN11 ?
That's good to hear about adding a sub! Will be interested in your solution.

So far pretty well. I still think the bass was better and more full with sn11rg, and the level of immersion (more active rears, wider front sound stage) was better. The center channel is a little more crisp and dialogue is more reliably clear with the q90r. It does a good job of immersion, enough to satisfy my needs. I took down the treble and the center channel a notch or two and turned up the rears by 2, which has helped. It’s just not quite as accurate or detailed with sound placement, at least in my space. Thankfully Dolby vision passthrough has been working just fine. I must’ve had a defective unit or bad cables before. I haven’t really put it through it’s paces to test for pops and crackles. BR2049 on UHD sometime soon for that. Our tv stand looks a lot cleaner and the wife is happy so that’s been worth it 👍

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom