Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar Review & Comments

Any tips on what to look for? What would be a flag that i need another cable?
I've just checked the owner manual for the Q90R & it states clearly that there is no HDMI cable supplied, so you're going to have to buy one (or more) anyway. You'll probably need at least two. One from your device to the SB (or TV) and another to ARC on your TV.Suggest you get Ultra High Speed.

I've just checked the owner manual for the Q90R & it states clearly that there is no HDMI cable supplied, so you're going to have to buy one (or more) anyway. You'll probably need at least two. One from your device to the SB (or TV) and another to ARC on your TV.Suggest you get Ultra High Speed.

Thank you for the help :)

Hi, can I ask you how you have your setup connected? I have an hw80 sound bar connected via hdmi3 to the Samsung q65 and still can't get away from lip sync issues . I have my sky Q box in hdmi1 and an xbox into hdmi2. Also, how do you know you're getting whatever sound output? Does it show on the soundbar?
Sorry for the interrogation, I'm a bit new to all this....
Hi, I have Sky Q into OneConnect box HDMI 1, a bluray player into OneConnect HDMI 2, Soundbar into ARC (HDMI 3). Apologies if I've misled anyone but the lip-sync issues are still there - just not noticeable during the football as you're just hearing the commentators and not seeing them. I was more surprised (and delighted) that I was getting Dolby Atmos through SkyQ as I wasn't expecting that. Up to now the only Dolby Atmos content I was getting had been through Netflix.

Roll on eARC software update and hopefully an end to the lip-sync problem. In fact, even if they could give you the option to put a negative delay into the settings that would help.

As for cabling I bought a couple of 8K-IBRA-v2-1-Luxury-HDMI-Cable-High-Speed-48Gbps-Lead-Supports-8K-60HZ-1M-2M from a well known buying/auction site. About £14 for each 1 metre length and £15 for the 2 metre so pretty good value and I knew the cable build quality was good as I'd previously bought their 2.0 versions. Seller hdmi_e4uelectrical got them to me nice and quickly so I'm happy to recommend.

I have just picked up a HDMI splitter box on amazon to I can have three devices connected rather than two. It seems to be working flawlessly with my Apple TV 4K and UHD player and auto detects which input to use. Only cost about a tenner.

I have just picked up a HDMI splitter box on amazon to I can have three devices connected rather than two. It seems to be working flawlessly with my Apple TV 4K and UHD player and auto detects which input to use. Only cost about a tenner.
Could you share the link please ?

Sorry bro. But mine included a Samsung 4k hdmi cable. I'm Dutch btw, maybe thats why.

Just got mine. I have to say for starters, this is a beast! i expected both the soundbar and the rear speakers to be smaller, but I am happy.

It also came with a high speed hdmi included which I connected to hdmi arc. Although I already ordered 2 certified uhs ones (found a sale for 15 each). Surround works perfectly for netflix and plex even without updating the bar to the latest firmware.

I will later try steam link app from samsung to check if surround or atmos work with games.

Just got mine. I have to say for starters, this is a beast! i expected both the soundbar and the rear speakers to be smaller, but I am happy.

It also came with a high speed hdmi included which I connected to hdmi arc. Although I already ordered 2 certified uhs ones (found a sale for 15 each). Surround works perfectly for netflix and plex even without updating the bar to the latest firmware.

I will later try steam link app from samsung to check if surround or atmos work with games.

How are you using Plex? You won't get Dolby Atmos via Plex unless you're using an external player such as the nVidia Shield. This is because the built in smart apps of most tv's only support lossy streaming Atmos and not the lossless Atmos contained on a blu ray rip.

The firmware update will also be required for lossless Atmos from an external source that isn't connected directly into the soundbar because hdmi arc does not have sufficient bandwidth to play lossless Atmos, it only has enough bandwidth for lossy streaming Atmos that Netflix and other streaming services use.

How are you using Plex? You won't get Dolby Atmos via Plex unless you're using an external player such as the nVidia Shield. This is because the built in smart apps of most tv's only support lossy streaming Atmos and not the lossless Atmos contained on a blu ray rip.

The firmware update will also be required for lossless Atmos from an external source that isn't connected directly into the soundbar because hdmi arc does not have sufficient bandwidth to play lossless Atmos, it only has enough bandwidth for lossy streaming Atmos that Netflix and other streaming services use.

I have updated to the latest firmware (although i had some troubles over wifi, samsung support help to get it right via usb). I am using a 48gbps hdmi cable (certified uhs) and I tried plesk on nvidia shield. I havent tried it yet on the tv app to see if i get atmos or only surround. At least i had no lip sync issues.

What's the lowest the 90R has been? I'm looking for something but can't justify over £1000. Maybe the new 900/950 model will lower the price.

What's the lowest the 90R has been? I'm looking for something but can't justify over £1000. Maybe the new 900/950 model will lower the price.
I bought my last year may for €950 as a promotion.. Yeah I was quite happy with that

Hi All - Newbie questions (thanks upfront to those who help).

Setup yesterday, and it sounded awesome. Very happy. Did a lot of research, especially on the wifi connection issues (I have an Orbi), so was well prepared. Updated to latest firmware. My setup a little different than most probably (since my wife would kill me if I upgraded too much too quickly!). I have an old Panasonic Plasma (remember those?)... so it is just a video output (HDMI ARC to HDMI input on TV). My sources are ROKU ULTRA --> HDMI 1 (Soundbar) and BlueRay --> HDMI 2 (Soundbar).
Questions (sorry if these were answered already - tried looking around but couldn't find answers):

1. From what I researched, the Roku Ultra (mod 4661R) can pass through Atmos. When I went to Prime (Jack Ryan) or YouTube (pulled up some test Atmos videos), I can hear the upward firing speakers work - and it seems to sound amazing, but the soundbar does not say "Atmos" in the readout. Does it only have that readout when getting it from the TV via ARC (which is not possible with me)? Or is this proof I am not getting Atmos quality (but yet the upfiring speakers work)?

2. Can someone provide details on the best way to calibrate for my exact room/setup? Remember - I'm a newbie, so looking for more newbie kind of description of how to do it (sorry). Have never done anything like that, but would like to give it a try. I know and have performed leveling with the various speakers... but I want more than that - I want to know how to best balance the leveling (not just randomly change center to 6 and assume that is the best for my room, know what I mean?).

3. Is there a way to mute only the sub? I know - blasphemy! However, when listening late at night especially when the wife is sleeping, even a little shake can be a bad thing. Is "-12" same as "mute" or no?

May have some more questions later. Thanks again!!

Have seen a couple Brand New or Just opened for £900 on eBay UK few months back.

Mine in the last 24hours has stared: every couple of minutes, displaying “sound bar” and turning down the volume.
anyone have any ideas?

Setup yesterday, and it sounded awesome. Very happy. Did a lot of research, especially on the wifi connection issues (I have an Orbi), so was well prepared. Updated to latest firmware. My setup a little different than most probably (since my wife would kill me if I upgraded too much too quickly!). I have an old Panasonic Plasma (remember those?)... so it is just a video output (HDMI ARC to HDMI input on TV). My sources are ROKU ULTRA --> HDMI 1 (Soundbar) and BlueRay --> HDMI 2 (Soundbar).
Questions (sorry if these were answered already - tried looking around but couldn't find answers):

1. From what I researched, the Roku Ultra (mod 4661R) can pass through Atmos. When I went to Prime (Jack Ryan) or YouTube (pulled up some test Atmos videos), I can hear the upward firing speakers work - and it seems to sound amazing, but the soundbar does not say "Atmos" in the readout. Does it only have that readout when getting it from the TV via ARC (which is not possible with me)? Or is this proof I am not getting Atmos quality (but yet the upfiring speakers work)?

2. Can someone provide details on the best way to calibrate for my exact room/setup? Remember - I'm a newbie, so looking for more newbie kind of description of how to do it (sorry). Have never done anything like that, but would like to give it a try. I know and have performed leveling with the various speakers... but I want more than that - I want to know how to best balance the leveling (not just randomly change center to 6 and assume that is the best for my room, know what I mean?).

3. Is there a way to mute only the sub? I know - blasphemy! However, when listening late at night especially when the wife is sleeping, even a little shake can be a bad thing. Is "-12" same as "mute" or no?

My settings
Bass 2
Trebble 3
Centre, front, size 4
Back & up 5

I think you’d need a 4K display to stream Atmos from Prime or Netflix as they only have Dolby Digital+ on their 4K content. You’d be better testing it with a blu ray with an Atmos soundtrack and it will also be lossless using Blu ray which is a lot better than the lossy Atmos you’ll get through streaming. Also I’m sure you can’t get Atmos sound at all through YouTube.

I think you’d need a 4K display to stream Atmos from Prime or Netflix as they only have Dolby Digital+ on their 4K content. You’d be better testing it with a blu ray with an Atmos soundtrack and it will also be lossless using Blu ray which is a lot better than the lossy Atmos you’ll get through streaming. Also I’m sure you can’t get Atmos sound at all through YouTube.

4k screen has nothing to do with streaming lossy Atmos from Netflix / Disney.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom