Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar Review & Comments

Hi everyone, I became the proud owner of the Q90R yesterday and I'm really liking it so far. However, I was wondering if there's a way to actually lower the sub. It's quite loud regardless of what settings I seem to change. I've put both trebble and bass at -6 but it's still very loud.

Dolby Vision pass through. I know it's supposed to support pass through but it doesn't seem to. Anyone else notice this?

Last couple days having a problem with my q90r and sky q.

The sound has gone all weird. Voices though the sound bar are very quite. Factory reset it last fixed it but came back again today?

Checked the cables are connected properly.

Also don't do it on all channels. Just watched Shawshank redemption which is fine then turn onto attack of the clones and sound goes

How did you do a factory reset

Nothing official from Samsung as far as I can tell about a successor coming in 2020 for the HW-Q90R.

yes, that’s what I’ve seen. I do a google search for 950T and it brings up very little. Wonder if they dropped the 950 and 900 and therefore the Q90r is their only 7.1.4 (or above)

So I think the earc update has screwed my unit. not only am I getting lip synch issues now with the netflix tv app, it now says no signal with my 4k blu ray player which is plaugged into hdmi 2 of the soundbar. if I plug the blu ray player into the tv instead, I get video but no atmos thru the soundbar when I select the atmos track on the blu ray, just the standard, adaptive, surround options

yes, that’s what I’ve seen. I do a google search for 950T and it brings up very little. Wonder if they dropped the 950 and 900 and therefore the Q90r is their only 7.1.4 (or above)

I saw a list of new devices yesterday, cannot remember where. The 950 will be new flagship, theres also a 900R if I remember correctly. I'll go in search of it again

Edit: found it, techradar. My mistake, 900T not R
Linky

Anyone know what the numbers mean when you hold down settings when the sound bar is on and the number “150 0“ shows up. I noticed I could change the value and settings of each number

150 0
300 0
600 0
all the way up to 10k 0 the zeroes can be adjusted.

EDIT: just found out they are frequency bands. Anyone adjusted these And found a good result?

Last edited:
I saw a list of new devices yesterday, cannot remember where. The 950 will be new flagship, theres also a 900R if I remember correctly. I'll go in search of it again

Edit: found it, techradar. My mistake, 900T not R
Linky
Thank you, in terms of my original question then it may drop a bit more as it’s second in line but probably not much more

hmm, to wait or not to wait!

Does this soundbar display any info on what audio format it is currently playing ? For example if I go from the BBC player stereo programme to a 5.1 Netflix programme will its display confirm its now in 5.1 ?

Does this soundbar display any info on what audio format it is currently playing ? For example if I go from the BBC player stereo programme to a 5.1 Netflix programme will its display confirm its now in 5.1 ?
I have only seen it display confirmation for Dolby Atmos.

Just check other people and their findings..
Why do you need to passtrough the DV through the soundbar? I think it is better to send it from the source to the TV directly.

You will not be able to have lossless (unless u have hdmi 2.1). So if u pass trough bar you have lossless sound + dv
UHD Blu-Ray players should have two HDMI ouputs - one for audio, one for video. This wont help?
I do not have UHD player yet so was trying just some DVision/DAtmos demos from USB and the TV shows DV and soundbar DA, but am not sure if the audio was losless. Few of the files with losless audio were without sound.

Hi all..i have a pair of vebos stands for the rear speakers..rather than put up for sale thread I thought id ask on here first. Then ill put one up.

So does anyone want a pair £100

UHD Blu-Ray players should have two HDMI ouputs - one for audio, one for video. This wont help?
I do not have UHD player yet so was trying just some DVision/DAtmos demos from USB and the TV shows DV and soundbar DA, but am not sure if the audio was losless. Few of the files with losless audio were without sound.
It does and I tried this but them I loose the feed from the TV to the soundbar thru the HDMI ARC channel. It's a compromise at best.

Just wondering if anyone has the same setup and issue I have. I currently have my Sky Q 2tb box and my Apple TV 4K box plugged directly into the soundbar and then soundbar out to TV. Reason for this setup is my tv does not pass atmos so have it linked this way.
The issue I am having is the Apple TV 4K keeps auto switching back to its HDMI port. So I can be watching Apple TV then switch to sky, it then switches me back to Apple TV. It will keep doing this unless I turn Apple TV off via the plug. Is this the Apple TV or is that the soundbar that has the issue? Thanks all

Hi all,

Considering upgrading to this from HW-K950. I have terrible lip sync issues with Sky Q Atmos content on my K950. My TV does not have e-Arc and doesn’t support Atmos pass through so have Sky Q connected to soundbar and then soundbar to TV. Xbox one atmos content works fine as does Sky Q non Atmos content but Atmos Sky Q has lip sync issues that I can’t resolve. My question is: are there such issues with this unit? I guess I won’t benefit from e-Arc as my tv doesn’t support it but that shouldn’t matter as I can connect both Sky Q and Xbox one directly to bar.

Thanks all for your thoughts on this.

I've found that on non Atmos content, power cycling the soundbar and choosing adaptive kind of makes the rears more noticeable. It must be some kind of bug.
What sort of levels do you have your speakers at.. I do find my rears quiet. I currently am trying everything at -2, Centre at 0 and rears at +5. Going between adaptive and standard settings

My Smart Things (from Samsung A5 phone) app does not connect to HW-Q90R - it finds it, but will not connect...
Philips TV (65OLED754) connects to Smart Things without issues.
Just a question do you get dolby atmos with the philips tv? i have the 854 and i can not get it

Just a question do you get dolby atmos with the philips tv? i have the 854 and i can not get it
Sometimes :) The lossless audio demos are mostly without the sound. The demo which is built in the TV works fine (both DV and DA), some other demos (played from USB HDD) work as well - sometimes have to change the sound source to TV and back to HDMI to "unmute". I have no UHD Blu-Ray player yet, so have not tested separated HDMI audio/video outputs.

Hi.

How does it perform at low volume?

We come from a better 2ch set (Dynaudio Speakers) but due to space we had to sell it.

We are looking for a decent soundbar that performs well at low-mid volume without waking up the kids/neighbours.

(We might get the 80r, but since its the same bar, we might get better opinions here:)

I got trouble with the bass. It’s to loud still if I put it on -12. I tried a other place for the subwoofer but don’t make any difference. I will try now to select adaptive sound mode on. I read that this is the best mode because is change with the sounds input.

Strange problem with my sound bar this morning. Turned it on but then flashed up with “update”, then turn itself off, then back on and the same again repeatedly. Only for a few seconds. Cycles on, says TV Arc, then flashes Update, then back to TV Arc, then “Bye”, then back on again and so on. Not responding to any button presses on either the remote or on the unit. My TV is not seeing it either.

Anyone know if it can be reset, or is it a repair job?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom