Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar Review & Comments

My Smart Things (from Samsung A5 phone) app does not connect to HW-Q90R - it finds it, but will not connect...
Philips TV (65OLED754) connects to Smart Things without issues.

Just got the HW-Q90R and have to say it exceeded my expectations by a pretty good margin especially the sub. I did the firmware updates and wasn't sure if I got the subwoofer and satellites to update properly so I started poking around on Samsung's support page and found this,

My bar is reporting, M-0128.0 B-1010.5 H-0051.0 FD-0040.0 W-0240.0 S-0136.0 RR-0136.0 RL-0136.0
their support page shows W-0241.0 is the latest version and the page states all numbers should be equal to or higher than what's shown so I thought maybe something went wrong.

I tried calling tech support on the phone and explained the problem and he made it sound like there might be an issue but I got disconnected and no call back even though my bar is registered and the tech confirmed my call back number. Next I tried the online chat option and wasn't sure the tech even understood my dilemma with the error on W-0240.0 and they just told me I had the latest firmware so I ended the chat. So far I'm not too impressed with their support department.

Does anyone know what the current reported firmware versions should be?
I have the same issue. I got mine a week and a half ago. I tried updating wirelessly and through usb and it kept staying W 0240.0 . From what I could gather, it depends what firmware your updating from. I don’t remember the versions off hand. I got mine from Best Buy, and believe it had not gotten the the firmware update that fixed speaker connection issues and such. If you updated from the newer firmware versions you could get W 0241.0 or W 0242.0 . If it’s from an older firmware, you got 0240.0 . I messed around for a while, but finally gave up because it seems to be working fine and sounds great. I’ll still keep an eye out though

@Talkshowchris @SmAShY

Thank you so much for the replies.

So I got my unit replaced for the new one yesterday evening. Been testing it all day all night, turned out that this unit is much better. The Center Speaker doesn't get any distorted dialogue like the previous one. Still quite surprised why this kind of problem happened and it's considered to be Brand's Hi-End Product as well... this problem should have never existed.

After I tested the speaker... I'm satisfied with it, comparing to the spent money, the quality is there. Still I feel like the high note/audio should have implemented much better than this.... for me, it is not crisp enough and still got some slightly distorted/crack at the very end of those sound. It's not that much, very little but it is there if you monitor or look for it. Bass is deep thought, shakes the whole floor.. very nice.

Still deciding to hang the rear speakers at the back or buy some stands for it. :)

Im still desperate to hear Dolby Atmos on mine.
I bought the nvidia shield pro on pre-order so dont get it till end of next week(mibbe longer).
I bought a 4k DVD player from Hughes who sent me a freeview recorder instead!!!
The 4k films i got to try it out will also have to wait however long its going to take to finally get my 4k player.
Ive got a Roku premium and found that it does Atmos passthrough,i thought "At last!".
I connected it to the sound bar through high end HDMI cables i also bought in preparation,only to get an error message about my HDMI not supporting HDCP2.2.
It does....ive checked.
So ,ive given up on the Roku and am waiting on the shield and player so i(hopefuly) finally get to experience DOLBY ATMOS!!!!:facepalm:

I bought the nvidia shield pro on pre-order so dont get it till end of next week(mibbe longer).
The 4k films i got to try it out will also have to wait however long its going to take to finally get my 4k player.
Ive got a Roku premium and found that it does Atmos passthrough,i thought "At last!".
I connected it to the sound bar through high end HDMI cables i also bought in preparation,only to get an error message about my HDMI not supporting HDCP2.2.
It does....ive checked.
So ,ive given up on the Roku and am waiting on the shield and player so i(hopefuly) finally get to experience DOLBY ATMOS!!!!:facepalm:
You can try some demos from USB (from TV) - 4K Media | Free Ultra-HD / HDR / HLG / Dolby Vision 4K Video Demos or demolandia.net or demo-world.eu

How do you dload them on them websites

It does....ive checked.

Keep in mind that also the result depends on the audio mix from the Blu ray. I have my ps4 pro connected directly in the bar (you should to the same with ur player) and so far the following movies are the best sounding for me.

1. Ready player one
2. Godzilla 2
3. John wick.

Don't get me wrong other movies are OK too but these blew me away. Forget about Disney, their audio mix suck.

It does....ive checked.
I have a shield and had to change resolution to 4k at 24hz (fps) to get dolby vision passthrough. Does the Roku 4k use 60hz (fps)? Can you drop it down to 24?

My favorites are Blade Runner (Final Cut), Blade Runner 2049, and Mad Max: Fury Road. I just purchased Saving Private Ryan, and I might try 1917 next

How do you dload them on them websites
Which one do you mean? I have not tried all the files on the list, but have downloaded few files from each of the links I sent you.

Any

I have a shield and had to change resolution to 4k at 24hz (fps) to get dolby vision passthrough. Does the Roku 4k use 60hz (fps)? Can you drop it down to 24?

My favorites are Blade Runner (Final Cut), Blade Runner 2049, and Mad Max: Fury Road. I just purchased Saving Private Ryan, and I might try 1917 next
Not sure if i can drop it down,ill give it a look,thanks.

Keep in mind that also the result depends on the audio mix from the Blu ray. I have my ps4 pro connected directly in the bar (you should to the same with ur player) and so far the following movies are the best sounding for me.

1. Ready player one
2. Godzilla 2
3. John wick.

Don't get me wrong other movies are OK too but these blew me away. Forget about Disney, their audio mix suck.
OK,thank you. i will check those 3 out in the near future.:lesson:

I tried some of those before and got either,no sound,not compatable or a couple played what sounded like mibbe Atmos(sounded good anyway) but didnt show on the bar.
I tried some of these and i got 2 to play in Atmos that didnt before, so thanks.:thumbsup:
Just had a strange thing happen.
I played those 2 files again that worked in Atmos and they played in non Atmos,i had to turn off the bar then they played in Atmos when i turned it back on.
Anyone know if this is normal or unusual.

I have the same issue. I got mine a week and a half ago. I tried updating wirelessly and through usb and it kept staying W 0240.0 . From what I could gather, it depends what firmware your updating from. I don’t remember the versions off hand. I got mine from Best Buy, and believe it had not gotten the the firmware update that fixed speaker connection issues and such. If you updated from the newer firmware versions you could get W 0241.0 or W 0242.0 . If it’s from an older firmware, you got 0240.0 . I messed around for a while, but finally gave up because it seems to be working fine and sounds great. I’ll still keep an eye out though

Mine seems to work fine and sounds great so I should just leave well enough alone but it bugs me when their site lists specific versions of firmware that are incorrect. Also Samsung support has been a joke so far.

soooooo anyone know how to do a master reset?

Doesnt work on mine..

I downloaded the earc update this morning via the SmartThings app on my phone. Is that everything up to date now or do I need to do anything else for the subwoofer & rears?

Hi guys, do you have any tips, how to connect SmartThings app to the soundbar?

Well still can't do andull master reset. But my vebps stands arrived today. Looks pretty dam nice too..

Attachments

• 20200522_104945.jpg
    20200522_104945.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 117
@Talkshowchris @SmAShY

Thank you so much for the replies.

So I got my unit replaced for the new one yesterday evening. Been testing it all day all night, turned out that this unit is much better. The Center Speaker doesn't get any distorted dialogue like the previous one. Still quite surprised why this kind of problem happened and it's considered to be Brand's Hi-End Product as well... this problem should have never existed.

After I tested the speaker... I'm satisfied with it, comparing to the spent money, the quality is there. Still I feel like the high note/audio should have implemented much better than this.... for me, it is not crisp enough and still got some slightly distorted/crack at the very end of those sound. It's not that much, very little but it is there if you monitor or look for it. Bass is deep thought, shakes the whole floor.. very nice.

Still deciding to hang the rear speakers at the back or buy some stands for it. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom