Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar Review & Comments

Hi guys, I just ordered this set (Samsung SWA-9000s) from USA, but I live in Europe, Slovenia; in manual, there is stated: "If the electricity supplied to your home is rated at 240V AC, use a suitable plug adapter to connect this unit to your electrical outlets." So - Not converter, but just adapter (for different shaped outlet in Europe). I already have an adapter, but not Voltage converter. I checked everywhere, this information cant be found (not in manual, not on device itself). My question is: does this device supports 110V and 240V at the same time, does anyone know? It's suppose to be written on modul, can anyone check that form me, plz. Thanks

The US voltage is 110 volts so TV cannot be plugged into 220v or 240v. You need a step down transformer if it is a US TV.

We have the Q90 Tv and got the HW-Q90r soundbar yesterday. Brilliant sound. However the soundbar does not lift high enough to sit above the TV stand. The Q70 soundbar had feet so lifted above the Q90 stand. I am wondering if it is possible buy feet similar to the Q70 to raise the Q90 sound bar so that it does not sit on the TV stand.
Would something like this help ? Amazon.co.uk: speaker feet pads

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The US voltage is 110 volts so TV cannot be plugged into 220v or 240v. You need a step down transformer if it is a US TV.
Those are speakers. Not TV. Q80r Sounbar works on 110-240 Volts, those are rear speakers that goes with that soindbar. I asked if someone can check sticker on the bottom of the system :) come on :) ...

At the weekend, I think a message related to "anynet" appeared in the small window at the front of the unit (I didn't see the full message), since then ARC doesn't appear to be working , TV apps won't play audio on the device and turning the TV on won't turn the soundbar on.

EDIT: Ignore this I found the issue and resolved it, it would help if I had read the instructions properly!

Last edited:
Are there any suitable wall mounts for the rear speakers? I am thinking of sticking them on the same wall above the couch which is also up against the wall.

As a matter of interest what are the best sound level settings for the Q90 or do you set them up to +6? I was thinking that perhaps the rear speakers should be down to about +4? Thanks.

ive got mine mounted to these no problem...

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Having an issue. I have a LG B9 tv. It is connected via ARC to a HW-Q90R soundbar. In HDMI 1 I have a Nvidia Shield (2017) and HDMI 2 a Panasonic UB820. Now when I switch inputs I have a couple issues. Either on the TV only one of the soundbar inputs will show up or the other concern is I go to Panasonic DVD and it doesn’t activate the 4K player. Tried turning Vierra both on and off. When I find it’s off it doesn’t even come up as a unit I can choose as an option via the input function. No issues with Nvidia Shield. I go to that option and worst case it might take a moment to come out of sleep mode but it works every time. Lastly if I turn the 4k player on with the remote it does work. Just surprised that choosing that option on the tv remote doesn’t turn on the player unless I power it on. Is this normal? Before returning my Sony x95g it would work.

Hi All,
Looking for advice for resolving a problem with my q90. Dolby atmos randomly cuts in and out for half a second or so intermittently on all speakers (bar included) with no discernible pattern when playing via the netflix app on my Sony x95g.

Have 1008 firmware installed (is definitely done on rears and sub too as per codes from holding down settings button), hdmi 2.0/ethernet cables, and have disabled the 5ghz bandwidth on our modem. Have also unpaired and re-paired sub and satellites to no avail.

Any advice to resolve/ troubleshoot would be much appreciated!

I also have the same setup as you. Not sure if this will satisfy you but will help with the random cutouts. Once you have the netflix content playing. go to your sony remote press the subtitle button which is located at the bottom, third row up in the middle. Change the audio to 5.1 or another language then repeat and change it back to Atmos content. This should help temporarily. Just make sure you don't get out of netfilx as you will need to do the same procedure again.

There is also another remote button you can use to view what content is showing on netflix. The bottom right button. The display will show up on the top left of your tv screen. It needs to say atmos (primary)

Those are speakers. Not TV. Q80r Sounbar works on 110-240 Volts, those are rear speakers that goes with that soindbar. I asked if someone can check sticker on the bottom of the system :) come on :) ...
Or just check a manual online. Is maybe the easier way

If we do not get eARC update on these 2019 soundbars that’s me done with Samsung, never again will I buy their products.
Let that be a lesson to you with Samsung products. The trick is to EXPECT poor after sales service and support with this company. I almost never buy Samsung products because of this reason, they are a dodgy corrupt company. This kit however blew me away sound wise so I made a rare exception to my rule and I also didn't need eARC. If I DID need eARC and my time to return the product was quickly running out I'd return it (and re-buy if eARC does turn up). Thats how little confidence I have in them. I'll say it again though, I love this kit, it sounds fantastic (and that's coming from about 15 years of owning 5.1 separates).

Not sure why people are getting their knickers in a knot regarding Samsung and eArc? After all when you purchased the sound bar you probably bought it from a dealer in the knowledge that it did NOT have eArc functionality and you were aware of this before purchase.
Your contract is with the supplying dealer and not Samsung and if you have an issue you should take it up with the retailer that sold you the unit and not the manufacturer. I have never seen anything official from Samsung stating that Samsung will be supplying an upgrade regarding eArc. It has all been rumours.
I do not work for Samsung and before we purchased our units I was fully aware that I would only have Arc and not eArc. If at some stage I am able to upgrade to eArc I would be grateful for the bonus!

Not sure why people are getting their knickers in a knot regarding Samsung and eArc? After all when you purchased the sound bar you probably bought it from a dealer in the knowledge that it did NOT have eArc functionality and you were aware of this before purchase.
Your contract is with the supplying dealer and not Samsung and if you have an issue you should take it up with the retailer that sold you the unit and not the manufacturer. I have never seen anything official from Samsung stating that Samsung will be supplying an upgrade regarding eArc. It has all been rumours.
I do not work for Samsung and before we purchased our units I was fully aware that I would only have Arc and not eArc. If at some stage I am able to upgrade to eArc I would be grateful for the bonus!
What you say is correct, but Samsung did plan to deliver eARC and now it seems they are not going to. It all comes down to customers hoping that a company will make good on its word. Unfortunately that's always a gamble...and particularly so when it comes to companies like Samsung.

eARC would help future proof the kit a little (until the next big thing comes along anyway) and creates a good customer experience. If it doesn't come, many people will either return the kit or next time move to a brand that they have more confidence in when they are about to drop a lot of money on a product.

Aside from the initial firmware update (1007.9/1008) to correct the disconnection issues there has been no further updates whatsoever. My previous Yamaha amp regularly received updates years after purchase, I didn't know what half of them did but it instills confidence seeing a company providing good support. Something Samsung always seem to shoot themselves in the foot over, or more realistically, doesn't care enough about.

What you say is correct, but Samsung did plan to deliver eARC and now it seems they are not going to. It all comes down to customers hoping that a company will make good on its word. Unfortunately that's always a gamble...and particularly so when it comes to companies like Samsung.

eARC would help future proof the kit a little (until the next big thing comes along anyway) and creates a good customer experience. If it doesn't come, many people will either return the kit or next time move to a brand that they have more confidence in when they are about to drop a lot of money on a product.

Aside from the initial firmware update (1007.9/1008) to correct the disconnection issues there has been no further updates whatsoever. My previous Yamaha amp regularly received updates years after purchase, I didn't know what half of them did but it instills confidence seeing a company providing good support. Something Samsung always seem to shoot themselves in the foot over, or more realistically, doesn't care enough about.

Interesting reply and understand where you are coming from, but if people put pressure on dealers instead of Samsung, just maybe we would have better luck. After all it is retailers that keep Samsung afloat.
However the main issue is still that the units came standard with Arc. Where has Samsung stated that they will be offering the upgrade at some point in the future? I do agree that it would be good for customer relations.

Where has Samsung stated that they will be offering the upgrade at some point in the future? I do agree that it would be good for customer relations.

Steven Withers who reviewed the product has direct contact with Samsung so it has been mentioned in reviews. Samsung initially stated that it was delayed, then that there were technical issues, and now the generally consensus is that it probably won’t come at all. It’s more likely that they have turned their attentions to future products now.

In the age of ‘smart’ products it seems they are not smart enough to stay current for more than a year or so.

I took mine back for a refund, for the money it was trash.

I’m glad you are happy with your investment, I wasn’t, it doesn’t have basic calibration abilities and lacks many options, you can’t even tell what sound format is getting outputted.

I ended up pulling the trigger on a deal, and decided not to wait for the new LG soundbars.
eARC is not an issue for me right now (I have a C8 oled that I will not be trading in the near future).
I would like that I would be future proof with eARC and would most welcome the AI room calibration with the new LG's but "oh... Well"...
I also bought the Nvidea Shield Pro and I have to say that I was blown away by the sound paired with the HW-Q90R.
Setup was easy, firmware update as well and I didn't have any connectivity issues with the rears.
Pretty happy with the bar so far!
I'm sure the LG Sn11rg might be better but they don't even have a release date for Europe yet...

Can anyone link me to screws/bolts for the rear speakers?
I've bought wall mount kit but the screws are too loose, I can see it's 1/4 20unc bit is there an equivalent in the M sizes you see in hardware shops etc?

I have had issue with ARC connections dropping. Tried to return it for a refund. Said they won’t refund it without inspecting it... really hoping it’s comes up bad and they don’t repair/replace. It’s disappointing to spend so much money on a unit that is so buggy...

It probably doesn't help people having problems but thanks to this thread I went with a Sonos system and couldn't be happier. Overall it may not be as capable but I've had no connection issues and it works as expected 100% of the time.

I have had issue with ARC connections dropping. Tried to return it for a refund. Said they won’t refund it without inspecting it... really hoping it’s comes up bad and they don’t repair/replace. It’s disappointing to spend so much money on a unit that is so buggy...
We bought a Q70 sound bar on 2nd Jan and after using a few times the ARC went faulty. We contacted Samsung support and went through all the tests with them. It was decided that the sound bar was faulty and they gave me an authorisation number to give to the retailer to exchange or refund. Contacted retailer who pay return carriage and who then refunded us no quibbles.

It's easy to fix... I mentioned it like 15pages back.

I’m glad you are happy with your investment, I wasn’t, it doesn’t have basic calibration abilities and lacks many options, you can’t even tell what sound format is getting outputted.
Bla Bla Bla... I have no problem to find out what sound format is getting outputted.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom