Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar Review & Comments

My ps4pro is directly in the soundbar. Soundbar connected like u in my one connect box and has arc connection.

Maybe try my setup (please keep in mind every movie has a different soundtrack. Some are great some a bit less)

Bass 2
Teble 4
Front centre and side 4
Back and up 6..

With these settings I can't put it louder than 12 or my Mrs or my cat goes bonkers when I watch ready player one. Especially the beginning race is insane

Ok thanks I’ll try those settings and with ready player one 👍

yes all updated, I tried with Star Trek

Ow OK :) then lemme know when u used these settings with the race.

My rears are on stands behind the sofa, about 10cm away from me.. That maybe also helps. Maybe yours are too high up

Ow OK :) then lemme know when u used these settings with the race.

My rears are on stands behind the sofa, about 10cm away from me.. That maybe also helps. Maybe yours are too high up

yeah maybe will try different things to make it work I guess

I'm looking to buy this, just wondering if anyone has changed the woofer? I've got a massive Onkyo woofer form 5 years ago and would rather use that if it out can outperform the sammy one

Maybe I wasn't correct..

I mean this.. Only in 2 situations u can get Dolby atmos.

1. By streaming (like Netflix) u can only get Dolby digital+ due to arc limitation. Lossy version.

2. Having a disc or in your case a movie downloaded with true HD. You can only get this when u directly plugged in the source in the soundbar, the soundbar has 4k pass trough. Lossless version.

I always have lossless because I have my ps4pro directly in the bar.

So what do you think is happening on my end? I am watching a movie off Plex that was downloaded with trueHD and Atmos and outputting the sound onto my soundbar via ARC. It sounds like I shouldn't be getting Atmos since my Arc is unable to pass lossless version but my soundbar is displaying Dolby Atmos and when he views the metadata , it is displaying trueHD. The only thing that makes sense here is that the q90r thinks its playing Atmos when in fact it isn't? But then I am still hearing sound output from my upfiring speakers.

So what do you think is happening on my end? I am watching a movie off Plex that was downloaded with trueHD and Atmos and outputting the sound onto my soundbar via ARC. It sounds like I shouldn't be getting Atmos since my Arc is unable to pass lossless version but my soundbar is displaying Dolby Atmos and when he views the metadata , it is displaying trueHD. The only thing that makes sense here is that the q90r thinks its playing Atmos when in fact it isn't? But then I am still hearing sound output from my upfiring speakers.
U will always hear sounds from the up firing speakers with lossy.. It is just not as awesome as lossless version.

Just because your settings in the movie shows true HD does not mean u get it.. U just get lossy version (similar to Netflix)

U will always hear sounds from the up firing speakers with lossy.. It is just not as awesome as lossless version.

Just because your settings in the movie shows true HD does not mean u get it.. U just get lossy version (similar to Netflix)

Got it. Makes sense. Thanks for the responses. I really wish this soundbar fully supported Dolby Vision pass-through so that I can plug everything directly into the soundbar and not have to use ARC. Oh well.

Got it. Makes sense. Thanks for the responses. I really wish this soundbar fully supported Dolby Vision pass-through so that I can plug everything directly into the soundbar and not have to use ARC. Oh well.

It should have dv.

I really wish this soundbar fully supported Dolby Vision pass-through so that I can plug everything directly into the soundbar and not have to use ARC. Oh well.

It's not going to happen anytime soon (if at all) considering Samsung's latest QLED TV's don't offer Dolby Vision. It seems they have gone with HDR10+ instead due to Dolby licensing costs.

I would like to ask a simple question. I got the new Q90R soundbar today and it works fine. I am not sure if I need to update the firmware. Could someone tell me how to check firmware version on this soundbar ? I downloaded the smartThings, it sees my Samsung Q7 TV but does not see the soundbar. So I can't use SmartThings to check version. A Samsung doc said I can check by "power off the bar, then press and hold the VOL CONTROL button for 5 second". I did that, but it only brought up the BT Ready and BT Paring message. It did not show me the firmware version. Please help.

I tried Q70R at Bestbuy and Q90R at Visions at Canada. Since the Q70R is out of stock. and the Visions salesman took another more $ off the Thanksgiving price of the Q90R, so I got it :cool:. I live in a high rise condo now, and I hope my neighbor won't complaint me that much.... When I lived in a house before, my sub was 1000 Watt !

Last edited:
Anywhere got a Q90R on offer at the moment? Cheapest i can find is £1249.....possible i missed a better deal on black friday/cyber mondey :(

Unfortunately you did, it was down to £999 at PRC and RS were price matching.

When turning on the soundbar and the tv it defaults to arc so that whatever is on tv can be heard. Is there any way for the soundbar to start on the last used HDMI? so if I were using HDMI2 and turned it off, it would come back on HDMI2?

Also I accidentally held the vol down button for 5 seconds while the soundbar was off and the display scrolled the words 'shop6'. I held it down for 5 seconds again and it scrolls the words 'shop ng'. Can anyone tell me what these are and have I affected anything?

Hi mate, appreciate this post is a few days old but to clear this up, LG OLEDS from 2017 onwards are capable of onboard decoding atmos both within a true HD container (such as UHD movies) and also Dolby MAT (Multichannel PCM with metadata used by the ATV and XBOX). For TV's which do not have EARC functionality this signal is downsampled and repackaged and sent lossy via ARC

None of both always surround.

For the 2018 models if the Bar was receiving an atmos (or DTS:X) signal then the DSP modes would become inactive, I assume its the same o the 2019 ones?

Hi mate, appreciate this post is a few days old but to clear this up, LG OLEDS from 2017 onwards are capable of onboard decoding atmos both within a true HD container (such as UHD movies) and also Dolby MAT (Multichannel PCM with metadata used by the ATV and XBOX). For TV's which do not have EARC functionality this signal is downsampled and repackaged and sent lossy via ARC

For the 2018 models if the Bar was receiving an atmos (or DTS:X) signal then the DSP modes would become inactive, I assume its the same o the 2019 ones?

I actually have no idea.

I actually have no idea.
Screenshot 2019-12-03 at 15.04.16.png

looks the same mate, so if anyone thinks they are getting atmos but can select the DSP modes, then it ain't atmos

When I am in atmos I can't switch the modes.

correct sorry mate, I may have quoted the wrong post, I noticed a convo going on between output from the up fires using an atmos source, someone then asked what dsp to use, I was just meant to point out that if you are receiving atmos then the sound mode is irelevent as it isn't used

cheers

correct sorry mate, I may have quoted the wrong post, I noticed a convo going on between output from the up fires using an atmos source, someone then asked what dsp to use, I was just meant to point out that if you are receiving atmos then the sound mode is irelevent as it isn't used

cheers
LOL no worries.. I totally understand now ha.

Hi,

New to the forum.

I have a Q90r panel and just received the q90r soundbar today, been following this thread for a while so i tooke all the pointers and applied them. Im having an issue with 4k passthrough on my bluray player. I have uhd player connected to soundbar and then soundbar connected to tv via Arc. Put in Hacksaw ridge 4k disk, Sound is fine, atmos comes through, but i get a message saying that picture has reverted to HD as not able to passthrough hdcp2.2 signal. I still get HDR but the resolutiom reverts to 1080p? I have changed the hdmi cables to make sure and still same message. As a work around i have connected the uhd player straight into tv for picture and have connected a hdmi cable from hdmi out from player to soundbar hdmi 1 for the audio. This works fine but have to keep switching the source to hdmi2 when my player turns on and is annoying. Also in this setting i am not able to get Atmos when i play an atmos demo from usb, in the latter setup were i was having issues with 4k passthrough, i was able to get Atmos through usb. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom