Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar Review & Comments

Does anyone know if there is a way to see what signal is playing out? If I put a Dolby Atmos signal through it then the display flashes Dolby Atmos but anything else I get nothing and I like to confirm that I'm getting true HD or DTS--HD as and when...

I've not been able to figure that one out either, DTS-X flags up as well and that's it..

@Steve.EX - Could be a HDMI cable issue, I replaced mine recently with these :-

My Xbox One X connects to a switch then the Q90R on HDMI 2 and ARC to my E8 Oled, just use the shortest cables you can get away with.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
It does seem odd. I would like to believe that it was a cable issue, but it never occurred with the K950. The only thing that has changed is the Soundbar, and I am now able to select DD+ as an output on the TV rather than DD, which was the limit of the K950 via ARC. I am fairly confident the cable between the Soundbar and Q7F OneConnect box is 1.4. I'll try a 2.0 for the sake of trying.

*Update.

Yeah, had a look. It was an old 1.3 between the Samsungs. I'm amazed ARC worked as well as it did with the K950 (i thought ARC was 1.4 thing) Seems much happier with a 2.0

Just the Virtual question now.

I'm a new Q90 owner who's got an issue not reported on here as yet.
My Soundbar has a little crackle sound every now and then when playing atmos content.
I've seen 4 movies and it's done it on all of them.
It's erratic, so I can watch 60 minutes with no issue and then it may crackle 5 times in a 20 minute sequence.

I had an N950 before and that had the same issue.
I'm using new Amazon Basics cables and have changed them around.

All the movies I've had issues with had no previous issues with my Old LG SL10YG soundbar.

Anyone have any ideas as I'm pulling my hair out?!?

First, and probably fairly obvious but I couldn't find reference to it online. What is the Virtual setting, the last option when cycling through the settings option via the remote?
I think is a left over from the soundbar without rear speakers (Q860)?

Ok, I don"t like the poor bas from the subwoofer on HW-Q90/96 vs the older buggy HW-K950/60. But the Q90/96 works perfectly with my LG OLED C9: eARC and can Pass through Dolby Vision (now only wating on LG to enable the Audio-EDID for LPCM 8 channels over eARC and not only 2.0 )

I wouldn’t describe as poor per se. I would simply say that watching a TV source vis ARC the sub could be set at 0 and even higher.
When an Atmos source was played I had to switch it to -12 and even then it was prodigious. With the Q90r I am never lower than 0db. I think the Q90r sub is far less one note, but also considerably less apoplectic.

(And this is someone who once ran Tag McLaren Dual Pro, McLaren 250m’s feeding Kef Reference and 4 x Servo 15s and packed it all away as I was “satisfied” with what the K950 offered in a TV remote control does it all kind of way)

Is there is any way to pair the soundbar with a wired subwoofer?

Thinking of this. HDMi out of player to HDMI IN of this adapter. HDMi out from adapter to soundbar. RCA out from adapter to wired subwoofer

What HDMI leads are people using to connect their Q90 to their TV and then connect devices directly to the Q90?

Nobody has replied about my crackle problem so I've done some more testing.

-Installed 1008 firmware and still crackling.
-Tried my LG Ubk 90 and my XBOX one X and both crackle.
-Unplugged the sub and rears so just the bar is working and still crackling.
-Done a reset, still crackling

Really confused now.

I can post a video with the crackle happening if it helps anyone.

Think you’ve done everything you can .
maybe contact Samsung, or return the SB in exchange for another?

I think that's what I'll have to do, but the weird thing is that I had a Samsung N950 in the past and that had the exact same problem.
I've literally watched 4 separate films this evening (parts of them) and it's done it on every film eventually (took over an hour on the new Godzilla but did it within 15 minutes of Blade Runner 2049).

It does it on my LG UHD player (UBK 90) and my xbox one x.
I'm sure it did it on Netflix last week when watching something casually in the background.
I can get it to do it every time on the end credits to the movie Annihilation, but I don't know anyone else who has the movie and a Q90 to test if it happens for them.
I suppose it could be a faulty disc, which is why it does it on those credits (though not in the same part each time), but that doesn't explain all the other films it's done it on recently.

That's my soundbar ordered along with a TV I don't really need and a HDMI switcher. Hoping it's a big step up from my Yamaha YSP-2700 and hopefully my claim will go through no problem.

That's my soundbar ordered along with a TV I don't really need and a HDMI switcher. Hoping it's a big step up from my Yamaha YSP-2700 and hopefully my claim will go through no problem.

which switch have you ordered?

I'm very pleased with mine which I've had for around 12 weeks. No issues really (other than a couple of random complete shut downs), but as I have around one fifth less hearing in my left ear was expecting that I would have volume control over all the speakers, but unfortunately it's just the fronts & rears and not individually left & right and my output devices, Apple TV & Mac Mini do not allow adjustment to left & right in their sound settings. I used to be able to have complete control over all speakers on a couple of previously owned Yamaha sound bars and was anticipating the same here, so I'm stuck unless someone could come up with a suggestion.

It does it on my LG UHD player (UBK 90) and my xbox one x.
I'm sure it did it on Netflix last week when watching something casually in the background.
I can get it to do it every time on the end credits to the movie Annihilation, but I don't know anyone else who has the movie and a Q90 to test if it happens for them.
I suppose it could be a faulty disc, which is why it does it on those credits (though not in the same part each time), but that doesn't explain all the other films it's done it on recently.

i don't know if your using a extension lead or straight into the sockets but this helped me with a similar problem used it ever since .https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tacima-6-Way-Mains-Conditioner-black/dp/B00UB0G4DQ/ref=pd_sbs_60_1/257-5648044-2435003?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00UB0G4DQ&pd_rd_r=f3e9bc0f-f8ad-4852-a1a3-f2d1a3f19ba1&pd_rd_w=N9cBe&pd_rd_wg=dNxRh&pf_rd_p=cc188cba-1892-42b3-956f-6c67d0ab7a00&pf_rd_r=PCBQ9A91AWM8H68PNTF0&psc=1&refRID=PCBQ9A91AWM8H68PNTF0

I went from the 2700 to the samsung.I can confirm that the step up is big.When it comes to atmos/dtsx,it is massive.

That mains conditioner is the only thing that I haven't tried.
My previous Samsung bar having the same issue seems to make this plausible.
I've not had issues with any other brand of soundbar (had Sony HT5000 and Z9f and LG Sk10y and SL10YG) but both Samsung bars have had this crackle/pop that I keep hearing.
It's difficult to replicate to a visitor or observer as you often need to view a decent length of a movie for it to work, sometimes a whole movie can play without issue.

Can I ask a question about 2.1 music? I've got a 2019 65" frame in the kitchen and find the audio not quite good enough, also I like to be able to leave the image on the TV and still listen to the radio etc without mucking about with my phone for 10 minutes.

I'm thinking of a few options, hw-q90r connect via alexa dot (which I already have), should sound good but having a massive set of boxes in the kitchen may be suboptimal overkill, or b just buying a naim mu so 2. Anyone experience of both?

Still can’t get Dolby Vision pass through :(
Tried three different cables ( one a Belkin / Apple )
Thing is I get DV on everything , when I connect direct to the TV from a ATV, just nothing through the HWQ90 .
I hooked the Panasonic DP UB820 up to the HWQ90 , no Dolby Vision
Direct to TV - Dolby Vision ?!
So it’s definitely the Samsung HWQ90 that’s not passing DV .
firmware is 1008 ( latest here in Canada) .
Any clues anyone?

Also, in addition to the above what is passed out through optical from the Frame 2019 and similar, nothing in the manual of course!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom