Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar Review & Comments

@Filo25 - I've had a similar audio problem switching back from Atmos recordings on Sky Q, cycling through the sound mode settings corrects it for me.

I have tried that but it doesnt seem to make a difference for me now unfortunately.

I wouldn't mind so much but HDR looks a lot better through the TV apps than it does from PC, so I do prefer to use ARC where possible

Hi there, I have a brand new 65C9PLA (with eARC) and now I'm about to buy the HW-Q70r or HW-Q90r, but despite Samsung keep saying its soundbars now support eARC (so lossless Dolby True HD capable), nobody seems to confirm that.

Could anybody be able to really confirm that his samsung soundbar is outputing "Dolby True HD" audio using eARC?

Thanks

Hi! Do you think than can alocate the subwofer in this place? Will i have pronlems? Is the onli site were i can alocate. Thanks
D43521F1-AD85-4449-B2EF-95CE803B1A6C.jpeg

Subwoofers can sound boomy when placed in a corner, but the fact it's side firing will help. You more likely to have issues standing it on a cabinet although you could stick some rubber isolation feet on the bottom if you do.

Well you can never be sure as every room is different, maybe wait and see what other owners think or you could buy one and return it if your not happy with the sound. :smashin:

I'm very happy with my Q90R , it looks like a serious piece of kit and sounds awesome, it sits nicely in front of my 65E8 LG OLED and doesn't obstruct the soundbar or screen.

I had some problems setting everything up, firstly Sky Q connected to the TV using ARC produced serious lip sync issues forcing a direct connection to the soundbar. I had similar problems with my E6 and that was nearly 3 years ago and its surprising Sky / LG still have not resolved the issue. I've used a 2 way switch from the Sky Q box so I can use the TV sound as well.

With only 1 HDMI port left for my Xbox One X & Nvidia Shield I went through a handful of switches and none worked except for this one :-

So if you want to add some extra HDMI ports this switch works perfectly for me with zero issues..:smashin:

Also I've had some minor handshake problems with Sky Q as others have mentioned in this thread, what I have found is with Sky Q on HDMI 1 anything being used on HDMI 2 needs to be turned off prior to switching back.
I see that switch supports dolby true hd and dts hd master.I assume that includes dolby atmos and dtsx,respectively.Does it pass dolby vision?
Cheers.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I'm not able to test Dolby Vision passthrough, my Xbox One X shows it as working, so I'd be very surprised if it didn't work.

I've been using this switch for a couple of weeks now and it works really well with zero connection issues and it works perfectly without the power supply so all the connections are on the rear keeping everything tidy..:smashin:

So how do you know you're getting DV?

I don’t lol , but I’m assuming I am as I know it passes DV and the source is definitely DV . this is through an Apple TV though , use the built in apps on the tv and I get the DV logo . PQ looks identical.

I don’t lol , but I’m assuming I am as I know it passes DV and the source is definitely DV . this is through an Apple TV though , use the built in apps on the tv and I get the DV logo . PQ looks identical.

If you run it through the soundbar and press info button on the TV what does it say you are getting?

Hi there, I have a brand new 65C9PLA (with eARC) and now I'm about to buy the HW-Q70r or HW-Q90r, but despite Samsung keep saying its soundbars now support eARC (so lossless Dolby True HD capable), nobody seems to confirm that.

Could anybody be able to really confirm that his samsung soundbar is outputing "Dolby True HD" audio using eARC?

Thanks

So nobody seems to be able to confirm passing Atmos with Dolby TrueHD... son its just a samsung marketing fake message.

Can some help just setting mine up as we speak and I just wanted to know where the best place is to put the sub as I carnt fit it at the side of the tv would it be ok behind it ???

If you run it through the soundbar and press info button on the TV what does it say you are getting?

That’s the thing , and what I was asking about a couple of pages ago .
I get the preset picture setting when the ATV is supplying the picture, when I use the built in apps for Netflix I get Dolby Vision on titles that have it .
When I connect the ATV direct to tv ( bypassing the sound bar ) I get DV . But terrible lip sync.
BUT , all the reviews of this sound bar say it passes DV . Although I don’t recall them using an ATV for a picture supply .

Bass is omnidirectional, so in theory it can be placed anywhere. However, sometimes it is down to trial and error, as placing it within the corner of a room for example can either enhance or have an adverse affect. I currently have mine (non Samsung) placed behind the tv in the corner and it sounds awesome.

Can some help just setting mine up as we speak and I just wanted to know where the best place is to put the sub as I carnt fit it at the side of the tv would it be ok behind it ???
Bass is omnidirectional, so in theory it can be placed anywhere. However, sometimes it is down to trial and error, as placing it within the corner of a room for example can either enhance or have an adverse affect. I currently have mine (non Samsung) placed behind the tv in the corner and it sounds awesome.

Thanks bud I’ll prob do that but one other question the bar itself just it just rest on the stand of the tv ???

Thanks bud I’ll prob do that but one other question the bar itself just it just rest on the stand of the tv ???
It's best if you can place the bar on something flat and solid (robust) i.e. cabinet etc, not the feet of a TV stand (if that's what you mean).

Finally made the decision to get the Q90R with an LG C9. Unfortunately I'll miss out on the current samsung 'out of this world offer' so i'm thinking about waiting until black friday. Anyone found a good deal on the Q90R? Just wondering what price is worth holding out for.

Anyone confirm DV pass through on this sound bar ?
Im not getting the DV logo when I pass the TV signal through the HWQ90.
Reviews mentioned getting DV through a receiver or UHD player .
I’m using an Apple TV .

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom