Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar Review & Comments

I think you have unrealistic expectations. Name one soundbar, or AVR for that matter, that lets you do that.

There are some avr's that let you keep multiple audyssey calibration profiles...e.g denon x7200wa.
But these are avr's that are very expensive.
It's a small thing really, and you're correct about my expectations on this soundbar, It would have been a cool feature perhaps.
Nevertheless...Out of all the soundbars I've experienced...The sound on on the HW-Q80R & HW-Q90R is some of the best I've heard, and I'm by no means a discerning audiophile.
Cheers! :beer:

I understand the adaptive sound offers better clarity to the vocals however does anyone even use it as the rear don’t work with the adaptive sound setting?

The rears do work with the adaptive sound setting its just subtle compared to the surround setting, I often use it especially at night.

Is this Ok to use to extend power lead for rears?

thanks

They would work. Any figure 8 could work.
I use angled figure 8 cable like these:

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Looking at this with the offer at the moment so from John Lewis @£1300 I need a TV for my bedroom so the 43" 7400 @ £429. I would get £650 back. Has anyone else done something similar? Seems like a good deal to me.

Looking at this with the offer at the moment so from John Lewis @£1300 I need a TV for my bedroom so the 43" 7400 @ £429. I would get £650 back. Has anyone else done something similar? Seems like a good deal to me.

yep I done the same thing. Bought the cheapest tv which was eligible in the cash back offer for my bedroom and then bought the Q90R soundbar with it. My claim has been validated, just waiting for my £650 cash back now.

Coming from a Eu HW-K960 and what a poor base Eu HW-Q96R has. About 25% of K960. Wonder if I can pair the K960 Sub with Q96?

yep I done the same thing. Bought the cheapest tv which was eligible in the cash back offer for my bedroom and then bought the Q90R soundbar with it. My claim has been validated, just waiting for my £650 cash back now.

when did you submit your claim?

I have done the same (43RU7400and Q90r from John Lewis) but was a little worried they would try and wriggle out. Submitted the claim about 15 days ago but still waiting for it to be validated.

This deal seems a little too good, will probably sell the 43” to a family member for a £50-100 reduction so picking up a Q90R for £700-750.

Last edited:
when did you submit your claim?

I have done the same (43RU7400and W90r from John Lewis) but was a little worried they would try and wriggle out. Submitted the claim about 15 days ago but still waiting for it to be validated.

This deal seems a little too good, will probably sell the 43” to a family member for a £50-100 reduction so picking up a Q90R for £700-750.

I submitted the claim Friday evening and I got the claim validated over the phone a week later. Received an email saying that the claim has provisionally been validated and will receive the funds within 30 days once final checks have been done.

I don’t see why they won’t pay out for such a big company that has advertised everywhere about this offer so should be fine buddy!

Just wish if this one had a subwoofer pre-out. Had demoed this twice and not impressed. Maybe it's due to the store ambience Sennheiser Ambeo looks good but it lacks rear speakers which is a misstep.

So looks like I will have to wait indefinitely for a soundbar that is a combo of this and the Ambeo.

My HW-K950 has more base than Q96R. I try the EQ and all other things but in my opinion the Q96R sound not at good as the HW-K950. I have paid for a sound downgrade and a HDMI upgrade :)

Sorry for that but the true is not Bull.

First for all I am sure your settings are off, I can't even put my bass louder than +2 in fear of the neighbors coming down. I seen ur 2 posts and it looks like u are trolling for reactions so here u have one.

Last edited:
So has anyone jumped from a decent separates system to this?

im currently sporting in a 5.1.2 config...

Denon x2300 amp
B & W front speakers
Dali Atmos speakers
SVS PC2000 sub
generic surround

im hot n cold on if i should upgrade my amp (to go full 5.1.4) or if i want to just do away with it all and replace with a nice neat soundbar....

the 1 thing bothering me is how big of a drop in sound quality it will be - im ready for some drop (of course) but i dont want to sit in a flat room if that makes sense...

anyone made a similar jump?

First for all I am sure your settings are off, I can't even put my bass louder than +2 in fear of the neighbors coming down. I seen ur 2 posts and it looks like u are trolling for reactions so here u have one.
No trolling here. My HW-K950 has better sound in my opinion. Its true. I move the subower and lover all front channel to -3 and little better but not god as my old Samsung soundbar. No problems with volym on my rear speakers and no speaker drop out. But the sound is poor and not only the base. The Q96R has no HDMI problem like the K950 but I'm disappointed with the sound compared to K950.

(The subower on Q96 has 160 RMS and on K950 162 RMS - not a huge downgrade on Q96R)

Owned this for just over a month or so now, and am generally very impressed with the performance but has now developed 2 issues ,and I was just wondering if anyone else had come across them.

1. WIFI no longer shows as a source option on mine, it did when I first got the bar, but disappeared at some stage over the last month, I have tried resetting, etc. but haven't been able to get it back.

2. Audio played back over ARC from TV (Youtube, netflix etc) is now distorted, voices etc sound far too deep (low frequency) it sounds like Barry White is acting in every show I watch! I did have that issue before and it resolved itself but seems to be more stubborn this time, have tried unplugging HDMI cables etc. but it has remained.

Owned this for just over a month or so now, and am generally very impressed with the performance but has now developed 2 issues ,and I was just wondering if anyone else had come across them.

1. WIFI no longer shows as a source option on mine, it did when I first got the bar, but disappeared at some stage over the last month, I have tried resetting, etc. but haven't been able to get it back.

2. Audio played back over ARC from TV (Youtube, netflix etc) is now distorted, voices etc sound far too deep (low frequency) it sounds like Barry White is acting in every show I watch! I did have that issue before and it resolved itself but seems to be more stubborn this time, have tried unplugging HDMI cables etc. but it has remained.

Sorry if I red you wrong but do you meant the WiFi Sound from your Samsung TV? That you control/kick in from the TV (if from Samsung).

Sorry if I red you wrong but do you meant the WiFi Sound from your Samsung TV? That you control/kick in from the TV (if from Samsung).
When I first received it I had WIFI as one of the source options, it just randomly disappeared at some stage, just have HDMI1+2, BT and ARC/D.IN now, equally when I now try to connect via smartthings to re-register, check for updates etc, it continually reaches 99% and says it can't complete due to poor wifi connection (I get 320mbps on my phone connecting to my wifi and the soundbar is even closer , so connectivity really shouldn't be an issue)

When I first received it I had WIFI as one of the source options, it just randomly disappeared at some stage, just have HDMI1+2, BT and ARC/D.IN now, equally when I now try to connect via smartthings to re-register, check for updates etc, it continually reaches 99% and says it can't complete due to poor wifi connection (I get 320mbps on my phone connecting to my wifi and the soundbar is even closer , so connectivity really shouldn't be an issue)
Ok, the same her when start it up for first time but dismiss my Pihole dns server for one our and then it works. The app/Soundbar, in my case in Sweden, want to have connecting with my Samsung account to work (I think once or twice a month) . Do you have changes password to your Samsung account?

@Filo25 - I've had a similar audio problem switching back from Atmos recordings on Sky Q, cycling through the sound mode settings corrects it for me.

quick question for those that have this soundbar along with the LG C8, I'm looking into how everyone has theirs setup, particularly interested in the Netflix app on the tv going to the soundbar, do you get atmos? Also interested in how everyone has dealt with the lack of HDMI ports on the soundbar. I currently have a sky q box, ps4 pro, xbox one x and amazon fire tv. Anyone got any recommendations for a hdmi switcher? Thanks for any assistance

I'm very happy with my Q90R , it looks like a serious piece of kit and sounds awesome, it sits nicely in front of my 65E8 LG OLED and doesn't obstruct the soundbar or screen.

I had some problems setting everything up, firstly Sky Q connected to the TV using ARC produced serious lip sync issues forcing a direct connection to the soundbar. I had similar problems with my E6 and that was nearly 3 years ago and its surprising Sky / LG still have not resolved the issue. I've used a 2 way switch from the Sky Q box so I can use the TV sound as well.

With only 1 HDMI port left for my Xbox One X & Nvidia Shield I went through a handful of switches and none worked except for this one :-

So if you want to add some extra HDMI ports this switch works perfectly for me with zero issues..:smashin:

Also I've had some minor handshake problems with Sky Q as others have mentioned in this thread, what I have found is with Sky Q on HDMI 1 anything being used on HDMI 2 needs to be turned off prior to switching back.

@tscotsman - This is my set up posted a few days ago, everything works perfectly including Dolby Atmos via the Netflix App !!

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
@tscotsman - This is my set up posted a few days ago, everything works perfectly including Dolby Atmos via the Netflix App !!

Been ok with Dolby Vision as well?

Planning to maybe run a 4k apple TV, PS4 pro, uhd blu ray player, ninty switch and sky box through it - single cable to soundbar then single hdmi to TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom