Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar Review & Comments

Finally solved the problem. For some reason Netflix does not use Atmos unless the soundbar is on adaptive mode. I watched Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and it changed to Atmos straight away. When I was in surround mode I had to switch to tv speakers and then back to the sound bar for it to kick in.

U are lucky to have da on Netflix... I don't have that due to the fact I have a Samsung TV..

Hi Steve

Love the in depth review.

One thing, I phoned Samsung who say the ARC is not eARC but standard Audio Return Channel. Do you know what is correct?

I have purchased recently a Q90R soundbar, and after installing it seems impossible to connect with my iphone's spotify connect.

I have installed fw 1008 in soundbar and in subwoofer & rear speakers following the samsung's web intructions. SmartThings app shows 1008 version and the soundbar is properly added and connected to the same wifi network of my iphone. I can play spotify songs with bluetooth, but I cannot use Spotify Connect because the soundbar doesn't appear in the spotify's devices list, even with the soundbar in Wifi input. I have disable the option "Show only local devices", and my account is premium. With my computer and with my previous Yamaha receiver the Spotify Connect works flawlessly.

I have resetted the router, reinstalled spotify, reinstalled smartthings app (and granted all permissions it asks for), remove and re-add the soundbar to smarthings app, select Wifi input, and nothing.

Can you help me to make spotify connect works?

Hi Steve

Love the in depth review.

One thing, I phoned Samsung who say the ARC is not eARC but standard Audio Return Channel. Do you know what is correct?
Hi Les (saw your tweet). Samsung has repeatedly told me that its 2019 soundbars will support eARC thanks to a firmware update released a few months ago. However some owners haven't been able to get it to work, so it's possible that the firmware update hasn't been released yet. I'll chase them up again and see if I can get a straight answer.

Hi Steve

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

I am waiting for the delivery of the HWQ90R and would like eARC as a future proofing selling point. Do you think that if Samsung have not yet upgraded their ARC connection that the hardware is capable of this and that there is an intention to carry this out in the near future?

If not I may not purchase given its cost, it’s not cheap.

Thanks

I have purchased recently a Q90R soundbar, and after installing it seems impossible to connect with my iphone's spotify connect.

I have installed fw 1008 in soundbar and in subwoofer & rear speakers following the samsung's web intructions. SmartThings app shows 1008 version and the soundbar is properly added and connected to the same wifi network of my iphone. I can play spotify songs with bluetooth, but I cannot use Spotify Connect because the soundbar doesn't appear in the spotify's devices list, even with the soundbar in Wifi input. I have disable the option "Show only local devices", and my account is premium. With my computer and with my previous Yamaha receiver the Spotify Connect works flawlessly.

I have resetted the router, reinstalled spotify, reinstalled smartthings app (and granted all permissions it asks for), remove and re-add the soundbar to smarthings app, select Wifi input, and nothing.

Can you help me to make spotify connect works?
In Smartthings
SmartThings Config (three dashes- Gear icon) -> Update wifi infomation -> select Your sound bar -> follow guide to reset Spotify

Hi Les (saw your tweet). Samsung has repeatedly told me that its 2019 soundbars will support eARC thanks to a firmware update released a few months ago. However some owners haven't been able to get it to work, so it's possible that the firmware update hasn't been released yet. I'll chase them up again and see if I can get a straight answer.

Steve, can you also ask them if last years model the N950 will also get the eArc update as it was suggested by John Archer back in February that the N850 would get it as well.

Last edited:
Steve, can you also ask them if last years model the N950 will also get the eArc update as it was suggested by John Archer back in February that the N850 would get it as well.
As far as I'm aware Samsung has no plans to upgrade last year's models with eARC.

In Smartthings
SmartThings Config (three dashes- Gear icon) -> Update wifi infomation -> select Your sound bar -> follow guide to reset Spotify

Thank you sieucan, but in the Samsung official forum a moderator confirmed me that the Samsung soundbars are not compatible with Spotify Connect, so I've returned it.

Thank you sieucan, but in the Samsung official forum a moderator confirmed me that the Samsung soundbars are not compatible with Spotify Connect, so I've returned it.

Sorry, but it is compatible. I am using it with spotify directly.

Sorry, but it is compatible. I am using it with spotify directly.

I don't understand anything: SmartThings app doesn't show Spotify, Spotify doesn't show soundbar in Devices list, in the official Samung forum a moderator says me that the soundbar is not compatible with Spotify Connect.... and now you tell me this. How did you get to configure spotify?

Well, in the end I have returned the soundbar and I return to my reliable Yamaha. Thank you Hoebsi!

Hi guys waiting on delivery of my 77 inch c9 which I will wall mount and have selected this to be the soundbar - any advice on how to wire this for minimum fuss and cable run covering - I don't want to have to plug and unplug cables that are wired through a wall after all!

I have seen a lot of people worrying about eARC issues and limited HDMI - should I continue to run cables into TV with EARC to the bar?

I only have two hdmi connections into the tv (Switch and xbox one x) as I can't get sky or virgin in my property (City of London).

For owners what colour is the supplied rear speaker power cables (I presume black) what's the length are there any generic white 2 pin plug cables that will work with them?

Like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flexson-Po...xtension+lead&qid=1568456012&s=gateway&sr=8-5

Final question is there any recommended wall mounting bracket for the rears you guys have found for the rear speakers (I take it ear height is best height?)

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

Any update you received from Samsung?

Any update on eArc? Just signed up to ask this question! Was about to buy but then found out HW-Q90R still doesn't work with Sony X950G eArc. Anyone had better luck?

Also, just stumbled on another post that claims HW-Q90R doesn't support Dolby Vision passthrough. Is that true?

Last edited:
Any update on eArc? Just signed up to ask this question! Was about to buy but then found out HW-Q90R still doesn't work with Sony X950G eArc. Anyone had better luck?

Also, just stumbled on another post that claims HW-Q90R doesn't support Dolby Vision passthrough. Is that true?
I need to speak to Samsung so I'll chase them up about eARC. All of Samsung's 2019 soundbars pass Dolby Vision and HDR10+.

Samsung has confirmed that its 2019 soundbars support eARC. So if you can't get it to work, let me know here with specific examples (TV, setup etc.) and I'll pass them on to Samsung for comment.

I have a resume lag when some seconds silence after sound should start. When I pause for example a video longer than 5 seconds and resume it, there is no sound for aprox. 2 seconds. This is on my UBD (HDMI), TV and on my pc (HDMI).
Is this maybe some electricity saving feature? Does anyone has a workaround?

Does your Samsung hw-q90r soundbar was manufactured in Mexico, China or elsewhere....what does the packaging box says?

Does your Samsung hw-q90r soundbar was manufactured in Mexico, China or elsewhere....what does the packaging box says?

Does anyone know if it’s possible to mount this soundbar to one of those universal soundbar brackets attached to a cantilever tv bracket? I know it can be attached to the wall but I need the Soundbar to move at the same angle as the TV. I can find SB brackets that do this for Bose and Sanus etc but I can’t find any reference to it being done on this model. Are there any fixings on the back?

I came back from my holidays and had to reset my SB (plug everything out for this time). I didn’t recognize atmos and on my test files the channels was mixed.. only unlug didn’t help, need to id set them. 1008 is installed since a few months.
has someone else this issue?

Is anyone experiencing cracking noise from their sub?
I think this is the best sounding soundbar compared to the nakamichi and sony flagship models. However, since today morning - subwoofer is not performing well. Not sure what the interference is - something to do with wifi? Anyone having this issue?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom