Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar Review & Comments

damo09

@Talkshowchris @SmAShY

Thank you so much for the replies.

So I got my unit replaced for the new one yesterday evening. Been testing it all day all night, turned out that this unit is much better. The Center Speaker doesn't get any distorted dialogue like the previous one. Still quite surprised why this kind of problem happened and it's considered to be Brand's Hi-End Product as well... this problem should have never existed.

After I tested the speaker... I'm satisfied with it, comparing to the spent money, the quality is there. Still I feel like the high note/audio should have implemented much better than this.... for me, it is not crisp enough and still got some slightly distorted/crack at the very end of those sound. It's not that much, very little but it is there if you monitor or look for it. Bass is deep thought, shakes the whole floor.. very nice.

Still deciding to hang the rear speakers at the back or buy some stands for it. :)

BeefS2

I downloaded the earc update this morning via the SmartThings app on my phone. Is that everything up to date now or do I need to do anything else for the subwoofer & rears?
I think you’ll probably be okay, but You should check the firmware of the rears and sub. Turn the sound bar off and hold the settings button on the remote until it turns back on. It will cycle through the current firmware. You should have these values

M-0128.0 B-1010.5 H-0051.0 FD-0040.0 W-0241.0 S-0136.0 RR-0136.0 RL-0136.0

w-woofer, Rr and rl are the rears. If they are less than these numbers, try turning the soundbar on and leaving it on for 3 minutes. Then press volume button once and hold down on the pad until update flashes across the screen. Let it power cycle through. If that doesn’t work you can try downloading the update to a usb

damo09

My disney atmos is off too. (Lg c9) Netflix flags both dolby vision and atmos

BOBMCCAUSLAND

Hi, just got a HW-Q90R delivered yesterday with a 55Q90R TV. Have done all the updates and checked the firmware is correct for all.

The rears are still pretty quiet (watched Our Planet on Netflix) even after turning them to +6 and everything else down in the minus numbers - figured that would be the best way to balance them and then just turn up the volume!

Also watched The Martian on Netflix last night. Must say that the TV and the HW-Q90R are visually and acoustically stunning overall - just want those rears to be a little more prominent.

marios50

Hi, just got a HW-Q90R delivered yesterday with a 55Q90R TV. Have done all the updates and checked the firmware is correct for all.

The rears are still pretty quiet (watched Our Planet on Netflix) even after turning them to +6 and everything else down in the minus numbers - figured that would be the best way to balance them and then just turn up the volume!

Also watched The Martian on Netflix last night. Must say that the TV and the HW-Q90R are visually and acoustically stunning overall - just want those rears to be a little more prominent.
I've found that on non Atmos content, power cycling the soundbar and choosing adaptive kind of makes the rears more noticeable. It must be some kind of bug.

BOBMCCAUSLAND

Do you keep it on Adaptive for all content?

I've got SkyQ and Bluray player and soundbar all into One Connect box. Should any of the boxes be going into the soundbar first? I do have slight lipsync issues it appears

Also, I have 2.0 HDMI cables - do I need to upgrade them to 2.1 to improve lipsync and get eARC? Appreciate that Samsung are still to upgrade the TV software to eARC but I want to be ahead of the game.

marios50

I've got SkyQ and Bluray player and soundbar all into One Connect box. Should any of the boxes be going into the soundbar first? I do have slight lipsync issues it appears

Also, I have 2.0 HDMI cables - do I need to upgrade them to 2.1 to improve lipsync and get eARC? Appreciate that Samsung are still to upgrade the TV software to eARC but I want to be ahead of the game.
I have 2.1 cables just to be sure and future proof.

Technically if your TV supports eARC it shouldn't matter whether you plug them in the TV or soundbar but I always feel more confident with direct connection and never had lip sync issues. I have my Q90R connected to a sony AF9.

BOBMCCAUSLAND

Thanks marios. Any advice on the rear speakers? Am I missing something as they are pretty quiet. I know they are only adding "filler" atmospheric and background sounds but still...

marios50

Thanks marios. Any advice on the rear speakers? Am I missing something as they are pretty quiet. I know they are only adding "filler" atmospheric and background sounds but still...
The speakers issue seems to be known with many owners.. unfortunately unless the source material is 5.1+ then the rears are not very noticeable.. what I do is cycle through the sound modes but I always end up on Adaptive as it produces the best overall sound for me.

San5324

I've found that on non Atmos content, power cycling the soundbar and choosing adaptive kind of makes the rears more noticeable. It must be some kind of bug.
It depends really on the soundtrack of the movie . I've connect my ps4 pro directly to the bar and when I watch marvel movies the sound is not as good as for example ready player 1.

marios50

It depends really on the soundtrack of the movie . I've connect my ps4 pro directly to the bar and when I watch marvel movies the sound is not as good as for example ready player 1.
Agreed the source plays the biggest role. However even on non native surround sources, this soundbar seems on the lower volume side compared to say my HT-ZF9. If you google low volume rears there's a few threads about people asking samsung to issue an update to make them louder/better with any kind of source.

San5324

Doss your TV support 2.1??? If the answer is no then for best result always put it in the bar. 2.1 is just for more data transfer means lossless can be achieved by earc instead of plugging it directly in the bar.

It will not change anything about lipsync, you have to fix that yourself

San5324

Agreed the source plays the biggest role. However even on non native surround sources, this soundbar seems on the lower volume side compared to say my HT-ZF9. If you google low volume rears there's a few threads about people asking samsung to issue an update to make them louder/better with any kind of source.
I have no problems what so ever with low volumes from my rears even with normal settings.

marios50

I have no problems what so ever with low volumes from my rears even with normal settings.
Are the rears perfect with all kinds of content? (Most people I've seen with issues seem to be ok with Bluray stuff but other sources seem to be low rears volume)

San5324

Are the rears perfect with all kinds of content? (Most people I've seen with issues seem to be ok with Bluray stuff but other sources seem to be low rears volume)
When I play games I have 7.1 automatically in my ps4. So a gunshot in the last of us is intense. Speaking comes from the side the person is standing. It drove me insane that I only had 2.1 in the beginning. That was when I connected the bar to my connect box.. Big mistake and happy to find out the results afterwards.

Sometimes it is lower I guess but that's when I just watch TV and it's an old movie.. For example Rocky was on TV in Holland the other day. Of course I can't expect a lot of stuff from a movie from the 70s.

RobGale

Hi all. Really want a hw-Q90r soundbar and was hoping for some sales this weekend but no dice.
From what I can see, Samsung isn’t updating this soundbar this year so this will be their only 7.1.4 bar still (unless I’ve missed something). Based on that do people think the 1199 they are now is the best price theyre going to be?

San5324

Hi all. Really want a hw-Q90r soundbar and was hoping for some sales this weekend but no dice.
From what I can see, Samsung isn’t updating this soundbar this year so this will be their only 7.1.4 bar still (unless I’ve missed something). Based on that do people think the 1199 they are now is the best price theyre going to be?
U are wrong u have missed something ;p there is a new soundbar line.

RobGale

U are wrong u have missed something ;p there is a new soundbar line.
I know there’s a new line but I thought the top model was no rears?

reecelouie94

Hello just noticed there are 4 holes in mesh (fabric behind metal mesh) on front of sound bar two on right side of centre speaker and two on left of info window anyone else seen this you give to shine a light on it does anyone know what they are

lordvader

Last couple days having a problem with my q90r and sky q.

The sound has gone all weird. Voices though the sound bar are very quite. Factory reset it last fixed it but came back again today?

Checked the cables are connected properly.

Also don't do it on all channels. Just watched Shawshank redemption which is fine then turn onto attack of the clones and sound goes

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming To Amazon Prime Video in August 2020. Tom's Thumbs.

Trending threads

Latest News

Linn announces Majik DSM digital streamer upgrade
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces WH-1000XM4 noise cancelling headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
McIntosh launches C22 Mk V preamp and MC1502 power amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Marantz unveils 12 Series Special Edition models