Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar Review & Comments

Was this the "duff" info?

Best of all, if you decide to add rear speakers at a later date you can buy exactly the same ones included with the Q90 to create 5.1.4 (you couldn't do that last year).

Yes it was, you are limited to the swa9000, same as the 2018 version (n850)

Cheers

Samsung m9500. I have it set up so picture goes direct to the TV and audio direct to the soundbar.

Why not passthrough? Better that that! Had also a m9500 (2 years ago) and bought a 100€ cheaper m8500 with the same „quality and functions“ from my point of view. But the m9500 should also work like the m8500.
Samsung told me, that the „tvarc when pause“-error comes with a wrong implemented CEC-protocol like Sony and lg could have.. do you have anynet switched on on all devices?

Why not passthrough? Better that that! Had also a m9500 (2 years ago) and bought a 100€ cheaper m8500 with the same „quality and functions“ from my point of view. But the m9500 should also work like the m8500.
Samsung told me, that the „tvarc when pause“-error comes with a wrong implemented CEC-protocol like Sony and lg could have.. do you have anynet switched on on all devices?
You do raise a good point about anynet actually. It probably is on for all devices.

As for why not passthrough? No logical reason except I wanted video going direct to my Q7FN without anything in the middle. Also I don't remember if HDR 10+ works via passthrough

You do raise a good point about anynet actually. It probably is on for all devices.

As for why not passthrough? No logical reason except I wanted video going direct to my Q7FN without anything in the middle. Also I don't remember if HDR 10+ works via passthrough
N950/q90r can 4K hdr10, hdr10+ and Dolby Vision passthrough.. i See no difference on my q7f with and without passthrough, lets give it a try!

I had a weird bug with the q90r now. TV Arc worked after two "init"-procedure. Also the Rears and Subs did not flash blue after switchung on the soundbar, BUT when I played an atmos track (dolby amaze trailer, 7.1.4. test tones etc.), they switched completely off (blue light still on without flickering) until a power off reboot from the soundbar.

Now I made a third "init"-procedure and all works as it should...

Did anyone had the same issue? @BigJC maybe or where they gone, indepentend which sound profile ("Dolby Atmos")?

Last edited:
I listened to the LG SL10YG when I bought the Q90R. There is no comparison with sound, regardless of the lack of rears. It’s unfortunate because I wanted to love the LG soundbar to match my TV. I will take back the Q90R and swap it for another unit. If that doesn’t work then I’ll have to live with the annoying connection issues b/c it does sound great when it works!
As an update: I went back to the retailer where I bought the Q90R to explain the issues I am having with the subwoofer and rears not maintaining connection. At first the guy who sold me the unit was dismissive and kept saying “user error” and “no way Samsung would sell a bodgy product”. So firstly, ********. And secondly, ignorant. Anyways, after telling him I would like to speak to his manager he called his Samsung contact and put him on speaker so I could explain the situation. The guy, Dave, said to just swap it out for a new unit and admitted they have had problems with this batch. He mentioned there is a software update available and sure enough I found it on the Samsung website. I will return my unit for a new one tomorrow and see if it fixes the problem. If not, then I will try installing the updated software/firmware.

As an update: I went back to the retailer where I bought the Q90R to explain the issues I am having with the subwoofer and rears not maintaining connection. At first the guy who sold me the unit was dismissive and kept saying “user error” and “no way Samsung would sell a bodgy product”. So firstly, ********. And secondly, ignorant. Anyways, after telling him I would like to speak to his manager he called his Samsung contact and put him on speaker so I could explain the situation. The guy, Dave, said to just swap it out for a new unit and admitted they have had problems with this batch. He mentioned there is a software update available and sure enough I found it on the Samsung website. I will return my unit for a new one tomorrow and see if it fixes the problem. If not, then I will try installing the updated software/firmware.
Could you say from which „batch“ your bar is? Or is it only identifiable through the S/N?

Have the Q90R now as well, but connected to wrong wifi network. How can I reset or change this one?

Have the Q90R now as well, but connected to wrong wifi network. How can I reset or change this one?
You can make a complete reset. Switch Soundbar on and pres - and + for some seconds ON THE Soundbar, not on any remote. Then it’s called „init“ and it’s like a reset. You can connect with the smart things app and configure a new WiFi. I did not use the WiFi button underneath the Soundbar..

Hi guys, first post here.
So I bought the q90r soundbar and been having connection issues where the sub and rears don't connect automatically to the soundbar when the bar is turned on.
However, if I turn off the power point for either one of the rears then power it on, all 3 are able to connect to the soundbar. So the problem is that they don't pair properly when they go from SLEEP to ON. But can connect successfully everytime when it goes from NO POWER to ON.
Would this be a hardware or software problem n should I return it for a replacement or just refund it? Thanks!

Re. Connection Issue

I'm getting mine today from John Lewis.
Is it the case that this connection issue is on EVERY unit? Have we heard of an instance of units being fine? Surely any reviewers would have spotted this.
I'll update later on mine. Fingers crossed.

Re. Connection Issue

Is it the case that this connection issue is on EVERY unit? Have we heard of an instance of units being fine? Surely any reviewers would have spotted this.
I'll be interested in how you get on, I'm still deciding whether to swap for a third unit or give up, although some users are reporting a software update which might cure things.

From the support there is a defect mainboard, which must be replaced.m by support. Of course are there „good“ units, but I think there are some faulty batches and the newer ones are hopefully good batches. So try and error or send it to the support and get it repaired. That thing is my next step, if the error occurred again..

Re. Connection Issue

Yeah, it’d be good to start seeing some feedback from owners who aren’t having connectivity issues :) Good luck!

The error (Subwoofer drop during movie) occured again, waiting now für replacement...

I’m having the same issue. I purchased the Q90R on the weekend and got a great deal here in Australia. But, the soundbar loses sync with the wireless Sub and rears every time it turns off. The weird thing is that the lights are solid blue (indicating a connection) but there is no sound from the Sub or rears. I’m forced to go through the manual pairing routine of holding down the ID set button on each speaker for 5 secs an each time and then holding ‘up’ on the remote until ID set appear on the soundbar. Obviously this is not feasible! I have it connected to the TV via HDMI-ARC and a PS4 to HDMI 1 on the soundbar. Other than returning it does anyone have any suggestions? The only thing that could be interfering is my dual-band wireless router (Asus RT-ac88u). I will test it tonight.
Disconnect the power supply on the left rear speaker every time U finish using it. When U want to use the soundbar, turn it on then turn on the power point on the rear left and it would seek a connection. This worked for me everytime.

Quick one gang.
Just set mine up but trying to get the Xbox One X to Passthrough to my TV.
Xbox is connected via HDMI to HDMI 1 on the soundbar and the soundbar is connected to my TV via HDMI ARC.

Getting sound but no picture. My TV is a LG B6.
Any ideas?

My bad! I've sorted the Xbox out now. It's passing through 4k HDR and playing Atmos lovely.
Gonna play around with the sound bar a bit more now and will report back later but if you have any questions shoot them over.

One thing, it updated as soon as I connected the Smartthings app and I've had no disconnects yet. Ever after restarts. Fingers crossed.

Oh, and it sounds INCREDIBLE! I'm upgrading from a LG SJ9 so not a bad bar but this is WAAAAY better!

Disconnect the power supply on the left rear speaker every time U finish using it. When U want to use the soundbar, turn it on then turn on the power point on the rear left and it would seek a connection. This worked for me everytime.
You are a legend...I can confirm that workaround absolutely works! It appears there is an issue with the left rear speaker that it causing the loss of connection. To update on my experience; I took my original unit back to Harvey Norman (Aus) and their store policy is to test it first. Naturally it was working in store initially but after the tech from Samsung tried to update the firmware via USB it then randomly dropped connection with the sub/rears. They gave me a replacement which I can confirm had the same issue of loosing connection with the sub/rears after power off/o cycling. I tried Solomon2089’s trick of turning off the power to the left rear at the wall outlet and the sub and right rear suddenly kicked in. Turning the power back onto the left rear then reconnected it automatically. I’m convinced this is an early batch issue. I noted that the firmware on my replacement was the same as the first, 1005.0 when I looked at “information” under the Q90R in the SmartThings app. I then updated the firmware via the app, which replaced it with the latest, 1006.0. So far, the connection after power off/on cycling has been remedied. I hope it continues but my advice...UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE. I wish Samsung would publish what the issues/bugs their updates fixes but clearly this is an issue they are aware of.

You are a legend...I can confirm that workaround absolutely works! It appears there is an issue with the left rear speaker that it causing the loss of connection. To update on my experience; I took my original unit back to Harvey Norman (Aus) and their store policy is to test it first. Naturally it was working in store initially but after the tech from Samsung tried to update the firmware via USB it then randomly dropped connection with the sub/rears. They gave me a replacement which I can confirm had the same issue of loosing connection with the sub/rears after power off/o cycling. I tried Solomon2089’s trick of turning off the power to the left rear at the wall outlet and the sub and right rear suddenly kicked in. Turning the power back onto the left rear then reconnected it automatically. I’m convinced this is an early batch issue. I noted that the firmware on my replacement was the same as the first, 1005.0 when I looked at “information” under the Q90R in the SmartThings app. I then updated the firmware via the app, which replaced it with the latest, 1006.0. So far, the connection after power off/on cycling has been remedied. I hope it continues but my advice...UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE. I wish Samsung would publish what the issues/bugs their updates fixes but clearly this is an issue they are aware of.
Hi there, glad my solution is working out for you. But do you still have to power the rear left on and off after updating firmware? I updated mine already n I still have to do it every time I want to use the soundbar which is somewhat of a nuisance. Do you reckon I should return it to Good Guys or would I just end up with a replacement that has the same issues?

Hi there, glad my solution is working out for you. But do you still have to power the rear left on and off after updating firmware? I updated mine already n I still have to do it every time I want to use the soundbar which is somewhat of a nuisance. Do you reckon I should return it to Good Guys or would I just end up with a replacement that has the same issues?
Updating the firmware seems to have “fixed” it for now. So no I don’t have to turn the left rear off/on again. Its probably worth returning it to GG (if only to make Samsung aware of the number of affected units) but if they still have the same batch in stock I wouldn’t be surprised if you encounter the same problem. Good luck! It’s a shame the software is buggy, a pitfall of being an early adopter I guess, because it sounds incredible!

Hey guys, i just got this and it is a huge upgrade from hs9 soundbar from LG. I do have disconnect issues with this soundbar as well but not nearly as frustrating as LG music flow series.
It happens when after watching netflix from the tv app and then swithing input to my nvidia shield. A quick on and off of the soundbar fixes this so i can live with that. If samsung comes out with a firmware that fixes it thats great but if not then its okay.
My real question is haha, can you guys recommend a stand for the rear speakers?

Hey guys, i just got this and it is a huge upgrade from hs9 soundbar from LG. I do have disconnect issues with this soundbar as well but not nearly as frustrating as LG music flow series.
It happens when after watching netflix from the tv app and then swithing input to my nvidia shield. A quick on and off of the soundbar fixes this so i can live with that. If samsung comes out with a firmware that fixes it thats great but if not then its okay.
My real question is haha, can you guys recommend a stand for the rear speakers?
I’ve ordered these from Amazon as others who owned the N950 (same dimensions) have recommended them. They are relatively inexpensive.
https://www.amazon.com.au/Atlantic-Satellite-77305018-Speaker-Stands/dp/B000289DC6

I have 1006 since the first day and my sub and rears drop every night... So I need to switch off Sub, Rears first, then soundbar? and then switch on the Soundbar and the the rest?

Philips hue and 4 Smart Plugs and a makro? :D "alexa samsung soundbar on" would be the new skill..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom