Quantcast

Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar Review & Comments

jms_uk

Damn! That would be very irritating and essentially mean the scenario is unsolvable with 2018/2019 Samsung kit. even though the tech can do it.. it just needs firmware updates which will never come :mad:

grid8400

Standard Member
Hi all,

My current setup is:

LG OLED65C7V
XBOX one X
DENON HEOS AVR
KEF 3001 Centre and Satellite and Subwoofer
DENON HEOS HS1 rears

I want to replace the the DENON HEOS AVR and the speakers with the Q90R but getting a bit scared reading this thread. Are there users that have the LG OLED 65C7V hooked up by ARC to the Q90r without any trouble?

Source that I will play are:

- Netflix app on the LG Oled -----> over ARC to the Q90r will it play Dolby Atmos sound?
- PLEX app on the LG Oled ----> over ARC to the Q90r will it play Dolby Atmos and 5.1?
- XBOX one X -----> HDMI1 ----> over ARC to LG Oled, will it give HDR signal to the LG Oled?

Cheers,
Tony

jms_uk

Hi all,

My current setup is:

LG OLED65C7V
XBOX one X
DENON HEOS AVR
KEF 3001 Centre and Satellite and Subwoofer
DENON HEOS HS1 rears

I want to replace the the DENON HEOS AVR and the speakers with the Q90R but getting a bit scared reading this thread. Are there users that have the LG OLED 65C7V hooked up by ARC to the Q90r without any trouble?

Source that I will play are:

- Netflix app on the LG Oled -----> over ARC to the Q90r will it play Dolby Atmos sound?
- PLEX app on the LG Oled ----> over ARC to the Q90r will it play Dolby Atmos and 5.1?
- XBOX one X -----> HDMI1 ----> over ARC to LG Oled, will it give HDR signal to the LG Oled?

Cheers,
Tony
The ARC support of both your TV and the soundbar is only one of a few factors to consider depending on the audio codecs your content is encoded with, what you use to play the content back and what you are expecting as the end result (I.e. are you okay with 'transcoded' audio in the event your overall system doesn't have the support necessary across the chain to play back the content with its original audio without transcoding?)

For example many systems that have a Plex app (e.g. Samsung 2018 or newer TVs, Xbox One, PS4) no longer have DTS 5.1 codec support which means the Plex server then has to transcode the audio first before sending to your app and then the app sending the audio via ARC to your soundbar. So you will get some flavours of "5.1" over ARC to the soundbar but it really depends what your LG actually supports. In fact I think the NVIDIA shield is one of the few player devices that still has the full range of codex support..

in terms of Atmos which you mention you want, the Q90 soundbar will not receive pure uncompressed Atmos in the way you say, because it currently only supports ARC not EARC... Currently to get "pure" Atmos you need to plug directly into one of the soundbars HDMI ports.

Additionally, here are plenty of threads and posts here which better explain what happens to Atmos soundtracks when sent to an Atmos capable system over just ARCt..

Finally your Xbox one into the soundbar and then via ARC to your TV should give you HDR but you won't get variable refresh rate (if the LG supports it) or auto game mode support ..

Last edited:

grid8400

Standard Member
The ARC support of both your TV and the soundbar is only one of a few factors to consider depending on the audio codecs your content is encoded with, what you use to play the content back and what you are expecting as the end result (I.e. are you okay with 'transcoded' audio in the event your overall system doesn't have the support necessary across the chain to play back the content with its original audio without transcoding?)

For example many systems that have a Plex app (e.g. Samsung 2018 or newer TVs, Xbox One, PS4) no longer have DTS 5.1 codec support which means the Plex server then has to transcode the audio first before sending to your app and then the app sending the audio via ARC to your soundbar. So you will get some flavours of "5.1" over ARC to the soundbar but it really depends what your LG actually supports. In fact I think the NVIDIA shield is one of the few player devices that still has the full range of codex support..

in terms of Atmos which you mention you want, the Q90 soundbar will not receive pure uncompressed Atmos in the way you say, because it currently only supports ARC not EARC... Currently to get "pure" Atmos you need to plug directly into one of the soundbars HDMI ports.

Additionally, here are plenty of threads and posts here which better explain what happens to Atmos soundtracks when sent to an Atmos capable system over just ARCt..

Finally your Xbox one into the soundbar and then via ARC to your TV should give you HDR but you won't get variable refresh rate (if the LG supports it) or auto game mode support ..
Thanks for you feedback.

jms_uk

The Q90 and its predecessor sound great, its just some of the feature support could be better.

What I've found over the years is that all parts of the chain need to have the right capabilities; Content Source & formats, playback capabilities and codec support etc.. but it also depends on what you're expecting out of a system and just how "pure" you want to be :)

Ionizer

Novice Member
I think Vertex (2) might work with VRR pass through in AutoMix mode. At least Atmos is working very nicely and it seems that VRR pass through is also supported by Vertex - I have the Vertex 2 though.

Now it’s just the question if it works together.

Naively as Vertex (2) is just duplicating the stream then downscaling it, I would guess that it should work — but might be best to ask them (HD Fury) first to be sure.

Anaemodor

Novice Member
Hi All,
Looking for advice for resolving a problem with my q90. Dolby atmos randomly cuts in and out for half a second or so intermittently on all speakers (bar included) with no discernible pattern when playing via the netflix app on my Sony x95g.

Have 1008 firmware installed (is definitely done on rears and sub too as per codes from holding down settings button), hdmi 2.0/ethernet cables, and have disabled the 5ghz bandwidth on our modem. Have also unpaired and re-paired sub and satellites to no avail.

Any advice to resolve/ troubleshoot would be much appreciated!

Surfer01

We have the Q90 Tv and got the HW-Q90r soundbar yesterday. Brilliant sound. However the soundbar does not lift high enough to sit above the TV stand. The Q70 soundbar had feet so lifted above the Q90 stand. I am wondering if it is possible buy feet similar to the Q70 to raise the Q90 sound bar so that it does not sit on the TV stand.

Elavarasan

Standard Member
We have the Q90 Tv and got the HW-Q90r soundbar yesterday. Brilliant sound. However the soundbar does not lift high enough to sit above the TV stand. The Q70 soundbar had feet so lifted above the Q90 stand. I am wondering if it is possible buy feet similar to the Q70 to raise the Q90 sound bar so that it does not sit on the TV stand.
The Q90r soundbar was designed to be put on top of the Q90r TV stand. Even if you find something Soundbar little high it won't then fit between the tv display and stand as it small gap. Also, it will then may block the IR sensor.

jms_uk

@Steve.EX @FatBoard

Update: I was able to borrow a HD Fury AVR Key and confirm that it definitely does not pass through the VRR (options remain greyed out on the XBox) - so unless Samsung Update the Q90R TV and HW-N950 (or the Q90r soundbar) with EARC, then having both Atmos and VRR+Auto Game mode is a complete non starter - its one or the other.. :(

The only other hail mary is if HD Fury can update the AVR Key firmware to pass through VRR...

For me, I'm not willing to shell out several hundred pounds for a HD Fury Vertex which apparently does pass through VRR just to get this working..

Steve.EX

@Steve.EX @FatBoard

Update: I was able to borrow a HD Fury AVR Key and confirm that it definitely does not pass through the VRR (options remain greyed out on the XBox
Yes. Sadly this was my understanding of the situation.
Owning several Samsung products in the past, including the K950, and now the Q90r, I'd bet all but the mortgage the eARC functionality will only arrive on the 2020 bars.

jms_uk

Yeah, its a PITA especially with the tease going around that the TVs and soundbars would get the update :(

Jengamen

Standard Member
I am on the market for a atmos soundbar and almost pulled the trigger on a HW-Q90R deal, but after reading about the the poor Samsung support and false expectations, I´m just going to wait for the LG SN11RG or SN9Y (if LG has a new rear kit with up firing speakers) so see prices...

San5324

I am on the market for a atmos soundbar and almost pulled the trigger on a HW-Q90R deal, but after reading about the the poor Samsung support and false expectations, I´m just going to wait for the LG SN11RG or SN9Y (if LG has a new rear kit with up firing speakers) so see prices...
I have no problem what so ever. Dolby atmos is awesome. I had some arc issues but that is long gone. It's always easier for people to leave a bad review behind. That's why you see many compared to good reviews here.

Aryn86

Samsung have really done a number on the Q80/90 owners, I don't think they intended to pull a fast one but they most certainly have and chances those bars ever see eARC are close to none. If you want eARC they'll expect you to buy one of their new products that does have it.

Surfer01

Are there any suitable wall mounts for the rear speakers? I am thinking of sticking them on the same wall above the couch which is also up against the wall.

As a matter of interest what are the best sound level settings for the Q90 or do you set them up to +6? I was thinking that perhaps the rear speakers should be down to about +4? Thanks.

San5324

Are there any suitable wall mounts for the rear speakers? I am thinking of sticking them on the same wall above the couch which is also up against the wall.

As a matter of interest what are the best sound level settings for the Q90 or do you set them up to +6? I was thinking that perhaps the rear speakers should be down to about +4? Thanks.
Treble 4
Bass 2
Front center side 4
Back and up 6

Surfer01

Treble 4
Bass 2
Front center side 4
Back and up 6
We have the Tv set to adaptive sound however for movies should it be set to Surround Sound? A bit of a noob regarding audio settings as this is the first decent sound system we have ever had in our home so apologies for questions, but it is the only way this old duffer will learn. :)

San5324

We have the Tv set to adaptive sound however for movies should it be set to Surround Sound? A bit of a noob regarding audio settings as this is the first decent sound system we have ever had in our home so apologies for questions, but it is the only way this old duffer will learn. :)
No worries, I always keep it in surround... The mode doesn't matter when u watch Dolby atmos or dts-x.

zoranv12

Novice Member
Hi guys, I just ordered this set (Samsung SWA-9000s) from USA, but I live in Europe, Slovenia; in manual, there is stated: "If the electricity supplied to your home is rated at 240V AC, use a suitable plug adapter to connect this unit to your electrical outlets." So - Not converter, but just adapter (for different shaped outlet in Europe). I already have an adapter, but not Voltage converter. I checked everywhere, this information cant be found (not in manual, not on device itself). My question is: does this device supports 110V and 240V at the same time, does anyone know? It's suppose to be written on modul, can anyone check that form me, plz. Thanks

ODGOVORI

Trending threads

Latest News

Bowers & Wilkins confirms corporate changes
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Freeview Play coming to Android TV devices
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Box Office still important draw for movie goers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published