Quantcast

Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar Review & Comments

Huw Phillips

All still going well with this soundbar for me. Absolutely love the sound still. I do get one annoying problem though, about every 1 time in 20, the sub does not connect when turning the soundbar on (red light). When this happens I have to power cycle the bar and the sub which always brings it back. Never happens to the rear speakers.

Anyone else come across this? I have the latest firmware installed.

San5324

All still going well with this soundbar for me. Absolutely love the sound still. I do get one annoying problem though, about every 1 time in 20, the sub does not connect when turning the soundbar on (red light). When this happens I have to power cycle the bar and the sub which always brings it back. Never happens to the rear speakers.

Anyone else come across this? I have the latest firmware installed.
Happened so many times, can find hundred of stories online... My biggest problem was the losing of my arc connection. I didn't had connection problems.

kb33

So how can I tell if it is passing thru DV? Is something meant to show up on my TV somewhere?
You should get a Dolby Vision logo as it begins to play .
If not , try plugging your source direct to the TV and see if you get DV , if you do , the SB isn’t passing DV
It seems some do and some don’t , with no rhyme or reason for it .

Maximus33

Novice Member
You should get a Dolby Vision logo as it begins to play .
If not , try plugging your source direct to the TV and see if you get DV , if you do , the SB isn’t passing DV
It seems some do and some don’t , with no rhyme or reason for it .
OK. I have my UHD blu ray player connected to the soundbar and there's definitely no DV logo that shows up at any stage while playing my DV discs..

Will try your suggestion of plugging it straight in to the TV and see what happens.

Thanks!

NatFlenders

On Prime Video with Jack Ryan season 1 I get Dolby Atmos. But rear speakers are very quiet (already at +6) compared to same in normal 5.1 or Atmos on Netflix. Sound is there, but too low volume. Do you have the same?

Huw Phillips

I have considered boosting the volume of the upward firing speakers, anyone else does this? I was thinking that it would improve the sensation of overhead sounds when watching something in Dolby Atmos?

San5324

I have considered boosting the volume of the upward firing speakers, anyone else does this? I was thinking that it would improve the sensation of overhead sounds when watching something in Dolby Atmos?

I have like this
Treble 4
Bass 2
Front mid and side 4
Back 6.

superhero_xx

Standard Member
Hello,

The epp pricing seems to be incredible.

How can one get an Samsung Epp Account? Do i need an invitation from someone?

So confused and jealous.

:)

Huw Phillips

Couple more questions -

Firmware
I have been running 1007.9 for a while now which is the UK equivalent of 1008.0. I have updated the rear speakers and sub and this is the result:
M-0126.0
B-1007.9
H-0051.0
FD-0040.0
W-0240.0
S-0133.0
RR-0133.0
RL-0133.0

I notice other people are saying that the red one should be W-0241.0. Can anyone confirm which speaker this relates too and if 0240.0 is normal for the UK firmware.

Secondly, I accidentally held the vol down button for 5 seconds while the soundbar was off and the display said 'shop6'. I held it down for 5 seconds again and it said 'shop ng'. Can anyone tell me what these are and have I affected anything?

mooperman

Distinguished Member
What about the subwoofer level?
to be honest its pointless copying somebody elses settings unless you have an identical room and their ears.... have a play with the volume levels (by all means use that as a base) and see what you prefer....

like the bass - pump that - like the treble - pump that... all about what you like the sound of. :)

San5324

to be honest its pointless copying somebody elses settings unless you have an identical room and their ears.... have a play with the volume levels (by all means use that as a base) and see what you prefer....

like the bass - pump that - like the treble - pump that... all about what you like the sound of. :)
Some other people used these settings and they enjoyed it..

mooperman

Distinguished Member
Some other people used these settings and they enjoyed it..
I'm sure - that doesn't mean I'm wrong though. I'm not trying to be a bit of a dick (although have failed on that many times).

San5324

I'm sure - that doesn't mean I'm wrong though. I'm not trying to be a bit of a dick (although have failed on that many times).
Deff not saw u as a dick and yeah it depends on the room too.. All I know with these settings I can't put it louder than 12 or my Mrs and my cat goes bonkers... Especially when I watch the race in ready player one haha

Also people need to understand it all depend on the mix of the soundtrack...

ceebee01

Novice Member
hi folks. I'm new to the forums. I'm interested as to how some folk are enabling Dolby Atmos via Amazon Prime. I've just purchased the Q90R soundbar which is connected via arc to my Samsung Q70 tv. When playing the latest Jack Ryan series through the TV app, no Dolby Atmos soundtrack is played. I had an online chat with Samsung support and they eventually determined that the soundbar currently does not support Dolby Atmos on either Amazon Prime or Netflix. Reading through some of the previous comments would seem to contradict this.

Last edited:

ceebee01

Novice Member
Just found the answer to my own question. Over in the Samsung community forum there are a lot of disgruntled owners. Apparently the issue lies with the Netflix and Amazon apps on the Samsung TVs. Neither of the apps currently support Dolby Atmos. Bummer given the price of both the TV and soundbar.

Cheerios246

Just found the answer to my own question. Over in the Samsung community forum there are a lot of disgruntled owners. Apparently the issue lies with the Netflix and Amazon apps on the Samsung TVs. Neither of the apps currently support Dolby Atmos. Bummer given the price of both the TV and soundbar.
I’ve got the 4K fire stick and still don’t get Dolby Atmos while playing Jack Ryan

dickyarundel

Still not sure what to do yet?Haven't worked out what is causing the problem(tv or sb).I will have time to swap things round this week with my other setup.Bit of a pain but I want to know exactly what the issue is so I can report it accurately.
Cheers.
It is 100% sb causing problems.Did some thorough testing this week.Found 1 or 2 new workarounds that involve switching between titles on the netflix app.I now have several workarounds in my locker that all involve fannying about.I will stick with it atm,maybe a future firmware update will solve mine and others problems with dv and atmos pass through?
Cheers.

San5324

Anybody who has atmos with Disney+ app? The app on ps4pro has way better sound due to the fact Ps4pro is directly plugged in the soundbar so I have 7.1.but the visual suck, say it's between SD and HD.

The app on Samsung TV is opposite... Much beter and sharper visuals but I think I'll never get lossless like I get on ps4pro.

Fergalno1

I have just got the Q90R Soundbar and I’m having issues with the HDMI handshake with Sky Q 2tb box. Every time I turn on the TV I need to turn Sky off and on for the Soundbar to pick it up otherwise it’s just a blank screen.
My TV is a 65” LG B8 with the Q90R connected via arc then Sky Q and X Box one X connected direct to the Q90R. Is there a way to fix this so it all comes on without having to do additional switch off and on’s.
I will be needing a HDMI switch that other on this thread have used for my Firestick.

dickyarundel

I have just got the Q90R Soundbar and I’m having issues with the HDMI handshake with Sky Q 2tb box. Every time I turn on the TV I need to turn Sky off and on for the Soundbar to pick it up otherwise it’s just a blank screen.
My TV is a 65” LG B8 with the Q90R connected via arc then Sky Q and X Box one X connected direct to the Q90R. Is there a way to fix this so it all comes on without having to do additional switch off and on’s.
I will be needing a HDMI switch that other on this thread have used for my Firestick.
I have a philips tv,but try this:turn on tv 1st.If the soundbar comes on automatically,wait 'til arc is displayed on sb.If the sb does not automatically come on,,turn on 2nd.Wait 'til sb is up and running either way.Then turn on sky last.The sb should auto switch to either hdmi 1 or 2 depending on which sky is connected.
When shutting down,sky 1st, tv last.
Good luck as skyq and sb have never been the best of friends!

Nitroxa

It's certainly interesting how different approaches work, in my case I have a LG 65E8 connected via arc and Sky Q connected directly to to the soundbar on HDMI 1.

So I turn the Sky Q box on first and select a channel, then the soundbar to HDMI 1 and lastly the TV and this method works really well for me although occasionally the soundbar will revert to arc so it's just a case of switching back to HDMI 1.

I also have an Xbox One X and Nvidia Shield connected to HDMI 2 via a switch and what I've found is you need to turn off whichever device you are using prior to switching back to Sky Q..

But every set up is different and it's just a case of experimenting until you find a method that works best for you. :smashin:

Fergalno1

It's certainly interesting how different approaches work, in my case I have a LG 65E8 connected via arc and Sky Q connected directly to to the soundbar on HDMI 1.

So I turn the Sky Q box on first and select a channel, then the soundbar to HDMI 1 and lastly the TV and this method works really well for me although occasionally the soundbar will revert to arc so it's just a case of switching back to HDMI 1.

I also have an Xbox One X and Nvidia Shield connected to HDMI 2 via a switch and what I've found is you need to turn off whichever device you are using prior to switching back to Sky Q..

But every set up is different and it's just a case of experimenting until you find a method that works best for you. :smashin:
It’s just a loan having to turn sky in and off everyone I turn on the tv, normally I would just leave sky on all the time so when the tv is turned on sky os on right away.

what switch did you use and does it pass through everything.

I am trying to decide weather to get stands for the rears or go with monitor audio mass speaker wall brackets and have them mounted.

djcla

was looking into one of these but then i was reading all the comments elsewhere about the rear speakers and sub disconnecting ll the time :( is that still an issue?

Nitroxa

The issue is fixed for me using the latest firmware, I've had zero connection issues in the last few months. :smashin:

jatgang

Novice Member
I recently got the soundbarQ90 for $1400 and boy I am so disappointed. connected using HDMI ARC to VIZIO TV and plugged in my XBOX and Apple tv to HDMI1 , 2 of the soundbar. Tried playing a video on HULU on my xbox and video/kept of pausing in between so many times!!
-Tried with replacing all HDMI cables with brand new ones and still seeing the issue.
-Updated the firmware also and still same issue. Not even able to watch a 5 mins video with out disruption.

-Tried HBO on xbox and saw the same issue and HBO displayed “HDCP error”.
For a high end 1400$ sound bar this is unacceptable. Contacted the samsung chat and followed all there step but still no go.
Anyone else seen this before ? Any idea how to fix this issue ?

Trending threads

Latest News

Denon introduces Home series of wireless speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs get BritBox streaming app
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Clearaudio Concept turntable re-launched as Active edition
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Teufel announces Cinebar Ultima and Cinedeck TV sound solutions