Quantcast

Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar Review & Comments

foyzur

Novice Member
Any update on eArc? Just signed up to ask this question! Was about to buy but then found out HW-Q90R still doesn't work with Sony X950G eArc. Anyone had better luck?

Also, just stumbled on another post that claims HW-Q90R doesn't support Dolby Vision passthrough. Is that true?

Last edited:

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Any update on eArc? Just signed up to ask this question! Was about to buy but then found out HW-Q90R still doesn't work with Sony X950G eArc. Anyone had better luck?

Also, just stumbled on another post that claims HW-Q90R doesn't support Dolby Vision passthrough. Is that true?
I need to speak to Samsung so I'll chase them up about eARC. All of Samsung's 2019 soundbars pass Dolby Vision and HDR10+.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Samsung has confirmed that its 2019 soundbars support eARC. So if you can't get it to work, let me know here with specific examples (TV, setup etc.) and I'll pass them on to Samsung for comment.

biggydaklaus

I have a resume lag when some seconds silence after sound should start. When I pause for example a video longer than 5 seconds and resume it, there is no sound for aprox. 2 seconds. This is on my UBD (HDMI), TV and on my pc (HDMI).
Is this maybe some electricity saving feature? Does anyone has a workaround?

famx

Novice Member
Does your Samsung hw-q90r soundbar was manufactured in Mexico, China or elsewhere....what does the packaging box says?

famx

Novice Member
Does your Samsung hw-q90r soundbar was manufactured in Mexico, China or elsewhere....what does the packaging box says?

KJ3232

Novice Member
Does anyone know if it’s possible to mount this soundbar to one of those universal soundbar brackets attached to a cantilever tv bracket? I know it can be attached to the wall but I need the Soundbar to move at the same angle as the TV. I can find SB brackets that do this for Bose and Sanus etc but I can’t find any reference to it being done on this model. Are there any fixings on the back?

biggydaklaus

I came back from my holidays and had to reset my SB (plug everything out for this time). I didn’t recognize atmos and on my test files the channels was mixed.. only unlug didn’t help, need to id set them. 1008 is installed since a few months.
has someone else this issue?

wizgd

Novice Member
Is anyone experiencing cracking noise from their sub?
I think this is the best sounding soundbar compared to the nakamichi and sony flagship models. However, since today morning - subwoofer is not performing well. Not sure what the interference is - something to do with wifi? Anyone having this issue?

San5324

Hi guys waiting on delivery of my 77 inch c9 which I will wall mount and have selected this to be the soundbar - any advice on how to wire this for minimum fuss and cable run covering - I don't want to have to plug and unplug cables that are wired through a wall after all!

I have seen a lot of people worrying about eARC issues and limited HDMI - should I continue to run cables into TV with EARC to the bar?

I only have two hdmi connections into the tv (Switch and xbox one x) as I can't get sky or virgin in my property (City of London).

For owners what colour is the supplied rear speaker power cables (I presume black) what's the length are there any generic white 2 pin plug cables that will work with them?

Like this:

Flexson 5m Power Cable Right Angled for Sonos One and: Amazon.co.uk: Amazon.co.uk:

Final question is there any recommended wall mounting bracket for the rears you guys have found for the rear speakers (I take it ear height is best height?)
The cables are really really short.

San5324

Is anyone experiencing cracking noise from their sub?
I think this is the best sounding soundbar compared to the nakamichi and sony flagship models. However, since today morning - subwoofer is not performing well. Not sure what the interference is - something to do with wifi? Anyone having this issue?
No strange sound with mine.

wizgd

Novice Member
No strange sound with mine.
Good for you. It is intermittent for me as well.

Another issue that is troubling is if i use Roku Ultra box to watch netflix or Amazon prime and then i use fast forward - it just loses the audio. In order to get the audio back, i need to power cycle either Roku or my Samsung soundbar. I cant seem to figure out what is wrong in this setup.

Frustrated with it, i bought the Apple TV 4k only to find out that it doesnt support Youtube on 4k. Are these issues affecting anyone here?

kb33

Hoping someone can help me !
just bought this sound bar and hooked up to a ATV and a Panasonic GZ1000 , can’t seem to get Atmos on Netflix or Amazon , I have a couple of films on iTunes ( Dunkirk ) and still no Atmos , I get the Dolby vision logo up .
Im running latest software ( 1008 ) and set mode to adaptive, no sign of Atmos in the ATV sound menu either .
must be doing something wrong lol

wizgd

Novice Member
Hoping someone can help me !
just bought this sound bar and hooked up to a ATV and a Panasonic GZ1000 , can’t seem to get Atmos on Netflix or Amazon , I have a couple of films on iTunes ( Dunkirk ) and still no Atmos , I get the Dolby vision logo up .
Im running latest software ( 1008 ) and set mode to adaptive, no sign of Atmos in the ATV sound menu either .
must be doing something wrong lol
Are you running netflix on apple tv 4k? i think only apple tv 4k and xbox currently support atmos for netflix.

kb33

Are you running netflix on apple tv 4k? i think only apple tv 4k and xbox currently support atmos for netflix.
I’m thinking it’s my 7 year old HDMI cables , I’ll swap them out today for the faster ones .

flugel83

Novice Member
Does anyone know how to connect the soundbar to a turntable? I have a TEAC TN-280BT but I can't connect them through Bluetooth. According to Samsung, it is a possibility that both use a different protocol.

Also, I tried to connect the Optical output with the Analog from the turntable, through a Audio Converter but also without success.

lesd57

Standard Member
Samsung has confirmed that its 2019 soundbars support eARC. So if you can't get it to work, let me know here with specific examples (TV, setup etc.) and I'll pass them on to Samsung for comment.
Hi Steve

Would you recommend the HWQ90R, HWQ80R or the Sennheiser Ambeo? I have heard the rear speakers of the HWQ90R which seem to be very quiet most of the time and therefore not sure if it is worth the extra £500 over the HWQ80R.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Hi Steve

Would you recommend the HWQ90R, HWQ80R or the Sennheiser Ambeo? I have heard the rear speakers of the HWQ90R which seem to be very quiet most of the time and therefore not sure if it is worth the extra £500 over the HWQ80R.
It depends on your needs and your budget. If you really want a single-box solution and you have the budget and room, you can't go wrong with the Sennheiser. If you want a proper 7.1.4 system I'd go for the HW-Q90R. However if you want to save yourself £500, the HW-Q80R will deliver a fantastic front soundstage and you can always add rear speakers at a later date.

Rizel23

Just picked this up for £458.00 after the cashback from buying with the Q90 TV looking forward to trying it out soon!

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Just picked this up for £458.00 after the cashback from buying with the Q90 TV looking forward to trying it out soon!
That's superb value, you've got an awesome deal there.

Rizel23

Hope so.

If anyone has a Unidays login you can get the 75Q90R for £2625 plus the Q90 Soundbar for around £900 but also take advantage of the 50% cashback offer on the soundbar when bought with a QLED tv, works with other sizes model TVs and soundbars also 👍

San5324

Hi Steve

The people who say the rears almost has no sound need to check their settings. Also not every movie is the same.. I didn't really had great sound with John wick 3. It was much better done in part 2 for example.

wizgd

Novice Member
incredible deal you got there. I unfortunately returned mine. The unreliable wireless connection might have been just a bad product. I am back to my AVR and 5.1 setup for now.
I still believe it is one of the best sounding soundbar out there and scoring it for this price is a steal! Enjoy!

Desafino

Standard Member
Hey guys,

Would bluetooth headphones connect to this bar...
Just thinking of late night viewing...would be nice if I could connect headphones to it.
Has anyone tried?

Thx

kb33

So how do I get Dolby vision through the sound bar ? ATV straight to TV and I get the DV logo but not through the sound bar , or is it just the logo I’m missing?

Rizel23

Was using via hdmi for sound now updated it will only let me use wifi? Anyone know how to change? Thanks

kb33

Anyone get Dolby Vision pass through with this bar ?

kb33

I need to speak to Samsung so I'll chase them up about eARC. All of Samsung's 2019 soundbars pass Dolby Vision and HDR10+.
I can’t get Dolby Vision pass through from a Apple TV ?!

Steve Withers

Reviewer
They definitely passed Dolby Vision from my 4K Blu-ray player.

Trending threads

Latest News

Xbox Series X console rises from Microsoft's Project Scarlett
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
BT Sports introduces all-access monthly pass for £25
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Dolby Atmos Music comes to Tidal streaming service
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung TVs unexpectedly losing access to BBC iPlayer