Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar Review & Comments

Quick advice from you legends. I’ve currently got a LG SK10Y and am somewhat underwhelmed with the performance (general quiet ATMOS, quiet subwoofer, no DTS-X).

Is this Soundbar a huge step up for me? I have a LG C8 and would be trying to get the most use of out the Netflix app – so Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision is paramount!

Hoping to buy this behind my wife’s back like a proper man.
I compared the SL10YG (which I think is the 2019 version of the SK10Y) to the HW-Q90R on multiple occasions in several different stores before purchasing the HW-Q90R. The difference is night and day. I wanted to love the SL10YG because I’d just purchased an 65” LG C9 and aesthetically it would have matched it much better. Also the slimmer profile would have been a better ‘fit’ with the very low profile stand on the C9, plus I (naively) assumed that having matching components would reduce the chance of compatibility issues. But, sound quality was no.1 priority and in that regard SL10YG was not even playing on the same field. It lacked bass, it had to be turned up to at least half its max volume for normal listening (at 1/4 volume on the HW-Q90R you are annoying the neighbours), it lacked the clarity and punch of the Samsung for music as well as dialogue and immersive effects/music in movies. For ATMOS the HW-Q90R is incredible. The best decision I made was choosing the HW-Q90R. It pairs beautifully with the C9, turns on when I turn the TV on and can be controlled by the LG magic remote. The only issue I had was the widely reported disconnection after sleep mode but this was fixed by the latest firmware update and I’ve had zero issues since. I too purchased it without my wife’s consent so I guess that was an issue for half a day ; )

Hi legends a piece of advice

would you recommend q90r over a AVR speaker system. I am thinking of upgrading from my 2 year old Yamaha 5.1 channel system. Would the soundbar be an adequate replacement for a 5.1 channel home theatre system. Also how would rate the bass. I have heard on some reviews the bass is not one of the strong points.

Maybe I'm a bit slow but what does the size of the screen has to do with the sound of the bar?

The left and right separation might not be optimal as I think soundbars are usually designed to compliment tvs that usually sit between 80" to 50" Going 150" the distance I have my left and right speakers is about 5 meters. The soundbar itself is no more that 1m or so wide.

If bang for buck is your priority then the short answer is yes, the q90r is totally worth it, especially if you can find a good deal. It’s regularly discounted by 30-40 % off rrp in my part of the world. It will have no problems filling a 6m x 6 m room with immersive sound...don’t let its size fool you. I too came from an older 5.1 setup ( Yamaha 1400 receiver, TDL fronts, centre, rears and a Miller & Kreisel Sub) and the q90r is a massive upgrade. If you want to run a proper ATMOS AVR system with speakers in the ceiling etc it’s going to be more expensive, more complicated to set up and for the amount you will spend it will be rapidly diminishing returns. You could easily spend the amount the q90r costs on cables alone!

Yeah the setup is not an issue it's the price, I would need a new avr, 2ch amp 4 height speakers and an extra 2 surrounds. Where as the soundbar would be at least half if not a third of the price.

I think I might but it when it's on special and if it doesn't work out I can still use it for the family room tv.

Hi legends a piece of advice

would you recommend q90r over a AVR speaker system. I am thinking of upgrading from my 2 year old Yamaha 5.1 channel system. Would the soundbar be an adequate replacement for a 5.1 channel home theatre system. Also how would rate the bass. I have heard on some reviews the bass is not one of the strong points.

The bass is freaking loud. I have my bass on +2 and not even thinking of putting it any higher.

The left and right separation might not be optimal as I think soundbars are usually designed to compliment tvs that usually sit between 80" to 50" Going 150" the distance I have my left and right speakers is about 5 meters. The soundbar itself is no more that 1m or so wide.

Yeah the setup is not an issue it's the price, I would need a new avr, 2ch amp 4 height speakers and an extra 2 surrounds. Where as the soundbar would be at least half if not a third of the price.

I think I might but it when it's on special and if it doesn't work out I can still use it for the family room tv.

O ok I see

Ive had mine a week, i love it!
But I’m having real problems with sky, if i have it set to DD+ it sounds amazing, until i switch to some channels, where it goes all echoey and you cant really hear voices.
If i turn the sky box to output in normal mode, this doesn’t happen.
Any ideas what i can do?

Ive had mine a week, i love it!
But I’m having real problems with sky, if i have it set to DD+ it sounds amazing, until i switch to some channels, where it goes all echoey and you cant really hear voices.
If i turn the sky box to output in normal mode, this doesn’t happen.
Any ideas what i can do?

I noticed something similar.. When input is hdmi 2 (standard when I switch it on) and choose netflix it sounds strange when it automatically go to arc..

I noticed something similar.. When input is hdmi 2 (standard when I switch it on) and choose netflix it sounds strange when it automatically go to arc..

Mines set up as the skybox going straight into the sound bar. If i cant sort it out I’m going to have to send back :-(

so has the latest firmware fixed the random disconnects? Trying to decide between this and the `Sennheiser AMBEO

Just got this bar about a week ago. For the most part I am all set up but I have a couple of quick questions if any one has some input that would be great. I have to put the rears really high up, out of line of sight, due to wife restrictions. Happy wife happy life. Anyways they will be set back about 6-8 feet from my listening position. What is the highest I could feasibly get them to the ceiling without losing the upward firing effect? Also what about mounting the rears upside down? The up firing drivers are meant to bounce off the ceiling anyways so I am wondering if turning them upside down so I can mount them all the way to the ceiling would cause to much change in the way they were designed to work. I think the only real issue would be that now my forward firing rear speaker sound would also be coming down from the ceiling and I wonder if I would be able to tell what is what. I am guessing the delay of the up bounce back down matters.

Does anyone know what the virtual on/off setting is meant to do. I tried it On for a football game in surround mode and the rear speakers really sprang into life. For live sports it's like being in the crowd.

Just got this bar about a week ago. For the most part I am all set up but I have a couple of quick questions if any one has some input that would be great. I have to put the rears really high up, out of line of sight, due to wife restrictions. Happy wife happy life. Anyways they will be set back about 6-8 feet from my listening position. What is the highest I could feasibly get them to the ceiling without losing the upward firing effect? Also what about mounting the rears upside down? The up firing drivers are meant to bounce off the ceiling anyways so I am wondering if turning them upside down so I can mount them all the way to the ceiling would cause to much change in the way they were designed to work. I think the only real issue would be that now my forward firing rear speaker sound would also be coming down from the ceiling and I wonder if I would be able to tell what is what. I am guessing the delay of the up bounce back down matters.

No idea man, I got mine behind the sofa on stands..

So with the latest firmware has the random disconnects been fixed or is it still happening?

So with the latest firmware has the random disconnects been fixed or is it still happening?
That was completely 100% fixed with firmware 1007.9/1008 (as long as you did it correctly and made sure the rear speakers and sub also updated). Its been working fantastically for me since then.

Anyone have any recommendation on what settings for the Sub, front, rear, base , etc .
Thanks for any help ..

That was completely 100% fixed with firmware 1007.9/1008 (as long as you did it correctly and made sure the rear speakers and sub also updated). Its been working fantastically for me since then.
So no cutting out during use, no random disconnects etc - all working as it should?

In short - Fixed. All new machines in the UK now come with a USB with the latest firmware and a set of detailed instructions in the box.

I've had 3 machines so far. First one went back because of disconnects within 2 weeks. Second one failed after a month, it started getting into a never ending loop of running 1007.9 update (it worked well until I switched on my Xbox and then went into the loop of constant updating).

Third machine I've had two weeks, it came with the USB in the box which I applied before use, a little complex and it took 15 minutes. Since then zero issues, it works perfectly every time.

One question if anyone knows the answer -what is the virtual on/off setting meant to do. I tried it 'On' for a football game in surround mode and the rear speakers really sprang into life. For live sports it's like being in the crowd. I'm not sure if it should be On or Off though?

In short - Fixed. All new machines in the UK now come with a USB with the latest firmware and a set of detailed instructions in the box.

I've had 3 machines so far. First one went back because of disconnects within 2 weeks. Second one failed after a month, it started getting into a never ending loop of running 1007.9 update (it worked well until I switched on my Xbox and then went into the loop of constant updating).

Third machine I've had two weeks, it came with the USB in the box which I applied before use, a little complex and it took 15 minutes. Since then zero issues, it works perfectly every time.

One question if anyone knows the answer -what is the virtual on/off setting meant to do. I tried it 'On' for a football game in surround mode and the rear speakers really sprang into life. For live sports it's like being in the crowd. I'm not sure if it should be On or Off though?

It's for 3d sounds.. I always have that on.

Anyone have any recommendation on what settings for the Sub, front, rear, base , etc .
Thanks for any help ..
I finally got some dts 7.1 test tones and ran them with a sound meter. I had to take the 3 front speakers down to -2 centre -5 sides and put the rears up to +4. Even then it was difficult to get the left and right front low enough. The upfiring speakers were not included in the test but I set to +6 just to max out the impact.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom