Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar Review & Comments

San5324

Hi did you find a solution to this?

I experienced the exact same thing last night on certain channels when I was going through them on sky.

It’s weird it’s like the vocals are really quiet and muffled in the background yet and sound effects or music are really prominent but it sounds like two channels mixed together.

This was common channels on sky q ie channel 4 itv 2 and a couple of other “mainstream” channels. I tried cycling the sound modes but with no success. Ended up just having to watch something else.

Bit disappointing for a grands worth of kit. Missus wasn’t impressed either 👎
Blame sky. I have no problems what so ever.

KaizenGuy

Novice Member
@Steve Withers Sorry for the double post, I have read that the Q80R can now add the atmos rears if purchased separately. Is this something Samsung have told you?

I only ask as there is nothing in the manual to suggest that this is the case. Like the N850 before, it only mentions rear level adjustment with optional surround speakers and is lacking the rear top adjustment needed for the up fires

edit... see attached from q80r manual

View attachment 1153817

cheers
Hi,

There wasn't enough information available from the local retail channels how this can be done. I wanted to get the 80R due to budget constraints. In the end, I had to stretch it because it is usually more expensive to add on later.

Masterstroke

Hi,

In relation to the posted question, does anyone has know at what decibels should each different speakers be generating when one initiates the sound test?
That's entirely up to the user and how you apply your sound test. If you initially set each channel flat (to zero) and measure with a sound level meter (SLM) while using an app on your computer (I use Audio MIDI setup on my MacMini which can measure up to eight channels including sub) then you can set the SLM to whatever value you wish (75db is a good one) and adjust the volume of each channel to your preferences.

lazy 1

Sorry to ask this question again I know it's been asked hundreds of times, but how this bar now for rear and sub dropouts and disconnects.

Farkentje

Novice Member
It is running for a month now here, not a single drop-out, disconnect or skips. Starts up on CEC perfect with LG C8 and the shield.

lazy 1

So I ended up doing a 70 mile round trip to Currys to get an open box as that was all that was available. It looked like only the soundbar had been out, and it had no marks on it.
So plugged all the wires in and the left rear speaker is not receiving power, swapped cables and still the same. Then I installed the app and updated and the app stuck on 14% luckily the bar updated. Then this morning the app was saying the bar was offline, so I unplugged the bar and that sorted it.
The sound quality from the main bar is a slight improvement over my current 13 year old sony with no arc connection, obviously I can't really comment on the rears and there is plenty of bass for me at -12, I have to consider the neighbours. Overall my experience so far hasn't been great and it's a lot less neat than my current setup (the soundbar and sub are built in to a tv stand). So not sure I'll bother getting the rear replaced and just get a refund instead.

MartinPalfy

Standard Member
So... think ive cured the problem i was having with muffled/quiet voices when watching random channels on sky q.
I have a samsung MU9000 tv and it seems the problem was in the sound settings for the TV itself. i had to change it from STANDARD to SURROUND and this up to now seems to have sorted it.

On another note i watched interstellar saturday night and even without the rear speakers setup the bar was awesome, really crisp clear vocals and deep bass rumbles, thoroughly impressed with this thing so far!!

San5324

So... think ive cured the problem i was having with muffled/quiet voices when watching random channels on sky q.
I have a samsung MU9000 tv and it seems the problem was in the sound settings for the TV itself. i had to change it from STANDARD to SURROUND and this up to now seems to have sorted it.

On another note i watched interstellar saturday night and even without the rear speakers setup the bar was awesome, really crisp clear vocals and deep bass rumbles.
I have the same TV and have no probs, thank God I don't have sky ;p

Toni70

Novice Member
Hello,
did someone had experience that eARC, after some on/off cycles of the TV, is then, at TV power on, no more recognized as eARC but only as standard ARC (TV ARC)?

Thanks

lordvader

Hi did you find a solution to this?

I experienced the exact same thing last night on certain channels when I was going through them on sky.

It’s weird it’s like the vocals are really quiet and muffled in the background yet and sound effects or music are really prominent but it sounds like two channels mixed together.

This was common channels on sky q ie channel 4 itv 2 and a couple of other “mainstream” channels. I tried cycling the sound modes but with no success. Ended up just having to watch something else.

Bit disappointing for a grands worth of kit. Missus wasn’t impressed either 👎
Factory reset and total disconnect/reconnect of everything fixed it.

Touch wood it's not happened again since.

Still think it was something Todo with the sky Q box, it's flaky at the best of times. Past few weeks been having to pull the power to it every few days, boxed totally locked up and fan on full blast.

Got an engineer around on Friday so will be pushing for a V3 Sky q box

Pokeraladin

Factory reset and total disconnect/reconnect of everything fixed it.

Touch wood it's not happened again since.

Still think it was something Todo with the sky Q box, it's flaky at the best of times. Past few weeks been having to pull the power to it every few days, boxed totally locked up and fan on full blast.

Got an engineer around on Friday so will be pushing for a V3 Sky q box
My V1 packed up after the update Saturday, had a new V3 sent me monday. Picture quality's looks much better now. Bulletproof and lemurs look pretty good in HDR aswell.

Eddibhoy

I bought these stands to use with the SN11, but returned the bar and bought the Q90r. The stands are compatible with Q90r. I have bought the required screw to use, but we can't figure out how to fit the speakers to the stands, as the power cable attaches to the bottom of the speaker. Has anyone used thes these stands? If so, how did you attach them? There is a picture on the amazon review, but it's not clear how they attached the cable and secured the speaker

Pedwarpimp

Novice Member
15980956853912161655570760736184.jpg

I bought these stands to use with the SN11, but returned the bar and bought the Q90r. The stands are compatible with Q90r. I have bought the required screw to use, but we can't figure out how to fit the speakers to the stands, as the power cable attaches to the bottom of the speaker. Has anyone used thes these stands? If so, how did you attach them? There is a picture on the amazon review, but it's not clear how they attached the cable and secured the speaker
15980956853912161655570760736184.jpg

Here is mine i set up yesterday, ignore the mess, its a new build, we are just tryingbto get readu to move in.

Pedwarpimp

Novice Member
It depends really on your loyalty / length of subscriptions and negotiating skills .... I am paying around £65 and I have Sky Q UHD, Multiroom, Kids, Ultimate on Demand (Netflix UHD), Movies/Cinema etc.
Which I think is reasonable. :)
Is that with their broadband too?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony XH95 TV, Klipsch The Fives Speakers & Bias Light Reviews + Best of the Month

Trending threads

Latest News

Cambridge Audio unveils new-look SX speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Google unveils Pixel 5 and 4a 5G smartphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Google launches new Chromecast with Google TV
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 30th September 2020