Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar Review & Comments

Rizvan

Thanks for the effort,just downloaded them off Google drive,put them on a USB 3 stick...won't play nice with my Sony ubp x700 4k Blu-ray player...going directly into my Samsung HW-N950 7.1.4 soundbar...says audio is not supported!
You should be able to Download the Dolby app for your LG, I managed to download it on my C8 and it has plenty of Dolby Vision / Atmos demos I think. Been a while since I last used it though.

dts

Distinguished Member
You should be able to Download the Dolby app for your LG, I managed to download it on my C8 and it has plenty of Dolby Vision / Atmos demos I think. Been a while since I last used it though.
Yeah i have that app,its great...nice to have some more content though.Also got the Dolby app on my X-box one x too.

Atarioldskool

Hello fellow q90r soundbar owners

I have purchased the Q90R soundbar and getting ready to set up.

I have just one quick question regarding positioning of the rear surround speakers.

My sofa is against the back wall and no way of moving it forward.

On my left side I have the kitchen door and on my right side I have the front room door!!

Based on my room layout I was going to position the rear surround speakers above the doors and angled down towards the listener.

Upon doing research and setting up my dedicated mini cinema room regarding Atmos speaker and rear surround speaker placement, I realised I cannot / should not place rear surround speakers high up in a Dolby Atmos set up as there will be no great separation between rear surrounds and Atmos at it will all sound as one. Therefore the rear surround speakers need to be at ear level.
So my question is, is it the same principle with these Samsung surround speakers that have the Atmos speakers built in ??

Would it be best practice to have these rear surround speakers on floorstands right next to the left and right arm rest of the sofa ??

Or can I also possibly position the surround speakers on the back wall at ear level facing forward ?

Thanks guys

Dalibor Koplik

Or can I also possibly position the surround speakers on the back wall at ear level facing forward ?
I would recommend rears on the back wall, but before you drill the holes into the wall, do a trial with different positioning of the rears and listen to the same ATMOS source and you can decide what suits you best (what is the best DA effect for you). If you have a small room, I am afraid the DA bubble will be moved in front of you rather than above you.

barkzz

Floor stands likely best, angle them in toward the centre speaker of the sound bar. You’ll still get reasonable effects but as mentioned but the rear tops will be more forward focussed. I have the same problem with a smaller living room with L shape couch up against the wall.

skingg

Standard Member
ohh sorry.

here is the speaker stand:
How is the stand by the way? Do the speakers fit perfectly with the screws that came with the stand?

Hooligaani

Hi all, my soundbar is has been working ok but I've had a few problems in recent days and I've been unable to pinpoint where the issue is. My LG CX is on the latest firmware and eARC is enabled there, but the soundbar only says TV/ARC. I'm sure it used to say eARC, can anyone confirm?

MGB GT

Standard Member
Thinking of getting one of these with a QE75Q90T but I need to run some legacy equipment through it as well, i.e. an old Panasonic VHS/DVD hybrid, a Sony CD deck and vinyl turntable, all 3 with just component output. Possible?? Thanks in advance...

barkzz

Thinking of getting one of these with a QE75Q90T but I need to run some legacy equipment through it as well, i.e. an old Panasonic VHS/DVD hybrid, a Sony CD deck and vinyl turntable, all 3 with just component output. Possible?? Thanks in advance...
Grab yourself component to hdmi converters for each device. They are fairly cheap circa £10 each on Amazon.

MartinPalfy

Novice Member
Morning Folks,

First post here on the forum.

im currently waiting for delivery due today. Can somebody tell me the best way to play a demo to test the speakers etc.

Rizvan

Morning Folks,

First post here on the forum.

im currently waiting for delivery due today. Can somebody tell me the best way to play a demo to test the speakers etc.
It depends on what devices you have connected to it....

LG (maybe other) smart TV's - download Dolby app
Blu-ray Player - Dolby Atmos or DTS:X Demo discs
Streaming content providers like Apple TV, NetFlix, Amazon Prime and Dinsey+ have Atmos based content to test out.
SkyQ UHD also does Atmos.
:)

MartinPalfy

Novice Member
thanks barkzz ill take a look of those as well.

I saw a clip on youtube demonstrating atmos on the new 2020 soundbar vs the q90r, footage of nature, rainforest and a thunderstorm at the end. even watching on the ipad i was thinking i bet this will sound amazing, so itll be good to find it once im all setup.

Talkshowchris

thanks barkzz ill take a look of those as well.

I saw a clip on youtube demonstrating atmos on the new 2020 soundbar vs the q90r, footage of nature, rainforest and a thunderstorm at the end. even watching on the ipad i was thinking i bet this will sound amazing, so itll be good to find it once im all setup.
YouTube can only do 2 channel audio unfortunately.
So if you see a video claiming to be on Atmos or DTSX then it's either a scam or the person uploading it genuinely thinks they've done so in the format.

Stein67

Trying a Q800T out today......but just ordered a Q90R and it'll be here by next Tuesday. Can't wait.

MartinPalfy

Novice Member
here is the link to said video its clearly a recording of a tv setup on a phone etc...

I understand this will be nothing like the real deal but im more interested in the footage they used so i can try it when i have mine set up.
Im sure its going to be a big step up coming from my current sky soundbox.

kavie87

If I had to choose between the two probably the ub820 to the bar, but it shouldn’t matter. Let me know how the slim cables work, thought about trying that route
After returning my Q90R soundbar late last year, I have recently purchased a 2nd hand model for quite a good price in Oz. I was thinking of hanging out for the Q950t but that fabric and the strange location for the source output led being in top turned me off. How are you fitting everything into a thinner soundbar etc...
I am so incredibly happy with it. The eARC update has fixed all the issues I had with it. Connections just work. Only issue is the automatic turn off when I play PlayStation and run sound via headphones instead of soundbar. When I go to a new activity it’s remembering to turn it back on.

Decided to run the Apple TV into HDMI 1 so I can run AirPlay from my phone for music (still a work in progress) and the UB820 in HDMI 2. Couldn’t work out why DTS MA-HD wasn’t working through Nvidia shield via tv into soundbar but had to change settings on tv to pass through instead of AUTO. The monoprice thin cables work beautifully. Chunky HDMI cables in the Q90R just don’t work...

My only issue is watching Man of Steel the other day... the talking volume felt like it was whispering and the other sounds explosions, flying, external noises felt like I was going to knock my apartment building down...

thank you Samsung for implementing the eARC fix into the soundbar.... thank goodness I got a b9 instead of the BX that still has DTS pass through

NBrice

My only issue is watching Man of Steel the other day... the talking volume felt like it was whispering and the other sounds explosions, flying, external noises felt like I was going to knock my apartment building down...
This is what has put me off purchasing, I see this comment a lot about the Q80/90. Is there really no option for dynamic range control at all on this bar? Not good when you have a little one trying to sleep.

barkzz

So, Q90R 1 week in ownership. Had issues pairing speakers on startup but figured it out. Basically when you turn the sub on, as soon as it goes into standby turn your rears on, problem solved.

I’ve now got them mounted properly on stands etc, and I can say the following. Utterly brilliant bit of kit coming from an MS60 and SWAW700 sub. None of the dramas people point out.
In terms of rears and being quiet, it is entirely dependent on the material driven to them - some 5.1 is stunning, others not so much. Same goes for atmos too.

These are very accomplished packages, and I have to eat my own words, despite my previous sub reaching lower than what the coupled Q90R can achieve, there’s a tightness and authority that can’t be replicated. Excellent stuff, and despite how good the Q950T could be, I couldn’t live with crap fabrics and poor user interface placement.

Eddibhoy

So, Q90R 1 week in ownership. Had issues pairing speakers on startup but figured it out. Basically when you turn the sub on, as soon as it goes into standby turn your rears on, problem solved.

I’ve now got them mounted properly on stands etc, and I can say the following. Utterly brilliant bit of kit coming from an MS60 and SWAW700 sub. None of the dramas people point out.
In terms of rears and being quiet, it is entirely dependent on the material driven to them - some 5.1 is stunning, others not so much. Same goes for atmos too.

These are very accomplished packages, and I have to eat my own words, despite my previous sub reaching lower than what the coupled Q90R can achieve, there’s a tightness and authority that can’t be replicated. Excellent stuff, and despite how good the Q950T could be, I couldn’t live with crap fabrics and poor user interface placement.
What's the problem with poor user interface placement?

hallmufc

Just ordered this on ebay for 825 customer return with no wall bracket and 12 months warranty

Am I making a mistake going from Seperates to this? Q acoustics 3020, 3010,3090c and PSB imagine atmos up firing fronts and MA Mass 10" sub. More worried stereo wise with music as the reviews look great for movie sountracks

Bravi

Hello. What is the right high and angle for rears? My couch is near the wall, so rears will be on the line with it (can't put them behind the couch). As i readed: on the ear level, angled directly towards head

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming To Amazon Prime Video in August 2020. Tom's Thumbs.

Trending threads

Latest News

Linn announces Majik DSM digital streamer upgrade
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces WH-1000XM4 noise cancelling headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
McIntosh launches C22 Mk V preamp and MC1502 power amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Marantz unveils 12 Series Special Edition models