Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar Review & Comments

kavie87

I bought Monoprice ultra slim cables from amazon. I had a Q90R for a brief time due to having issues with audio drop out issues which and noticed how bad the placement of the HDMI ports are on the soundbar so hopefully the Slim cables fix that. Would you run the Shield or UB820 through the soundbar if im running Apple TV through it?

BeefS2

I bought Monoprice ultra slim cables from amazon. I had a Q90R for a brief time due to having issues with audio drop out issues which and noticed how bad the placement of the HDMI ports are on the soundbar so hopefully the Slim cables fix that. Would you run the Shield or UB820 through the soundbar if im running Apple TV through it?
If I had to choose between the two probably the ub820 to the bar, but it shouldn’t matter. Let me know how the slim cables work, thought about trying that route

Rickc

Standard Member
Can anyone tell me if the included wall brackets for the q90r soundbar Can be used to wall mount the rear speakers?? Or are they just to mount the bar?

relax24

Edit - I'm an idiot. This is the q90r forum not q80r!

Hi, I was wondering if any of you fine ladies/gentleman could help.

Currently got a Q70r soundbar which I'm returning and paying an extra £100 to get the HW-Q80r. I was loving the q70r but the surround performance wasn't great, and I could hear no Atmos effects whatsoever. Tbf, I have 10-12ft ceilings so maybe I need to turn the up speakers up to full?

Anyways, what was confusing about the current soundbar is all the different sound modes. I've always left it on adaptive for everything as that was what I read in a review before. I get really confused between all the modes when you click the "Sound mode" button, and then the 2 separate buttons for smart mode and surround on the remote. Then to add more confusion there's the Virtual surround mode in the settings menu!

What sound modes do you all recommend?

Thanks!

Rowns

Hi guys, just received my Q90R today and I’m over the moon with it.

Just one slight concern, it arrived fully updated with the latest firmware version. Everything was sealed and packed like new, but just wondering if any one has had the same? Or do you think they’ve sent me a refurb?

Rickc

Standard Member

Just one slight concern, it arrived fully updated with the latest firmware version. Everything was sealed and packed like new, but just wondering if any one has had the same? Or do you think they’ve sent me a refurb?
I can let you know in a couple of days when mine arrives. I ordered it today.

alastair113

Standard Member
Hi mate

If you can get hold of the dolby test tones you can do a crude calibration using an SPL meter (or even use an SPL meter app) set it to c weighting and slow response and take it to the Main Listening Position

Play either front left or front right test tone and adjust the master volume to the level you matching everything to.

Then play at least one test tone for each of the pairs, use the +/- adjustment for each pair to get it to match to the the front left/right.

Do the Same with Centre, I usually have this 1 or 2 db higher though to help with vocals.

Subwoofer - Impossible to match this.

Caveat, as the adjustments are in pairs, depending on room layout you may need to check the other tone within the pair, if it is well out then you will need to compromise and find a middle ground between them both. This imo is the biggest problem with Samsung bars.

Test tones are here for anybody that wants them

Rickc

Standard Member

can you tell me how your able to tell it’s the latest firmware? Dose it say eARC on the front display?

barkzz

Ordered mine today after debating between this and Q950T. Cant stand the fabric on the latter, and it has no forward facing user display which is madness. Final nail was the price hike from £1300 to £1600.

What extended power cables have people been using? Im assuming the Flexson and Brighton are OK on amazon (Sonos style flat, recall reading they are fine on the Q90R)?

I also need speaker stands that will comfortably fit at the back of my L-Shape Couch (Goes right up to the wall so space is a premium), preferably with the power cables routed through. Cannot find anything decent and low profile for love nor money, recommendations welcome

San5324

Ordered mine today after debating between this and Q950T. Cant stand the fabric on the latter, and it has no forward facing user display which is madness. Final nail was the price hike from £1300 to £1600.

What extended power cables have people been using? Im assuming the Flexson and Brighton are OK on amazon (Sonos style flat, recall reading they are fine on the Q90R)?

I also need speaker stands that will comfortably fit at the back of my L-Shape Couch (Goes right up to the wall so space is a premium), preferably with the power cables routed through. Cannot find anything decent and low profile for love nor money, recommendations welcome
Just check here you will find many people advising their stands.

gaz847

Random question, is it best to toe the rear speakers in towards the main listening position? I know that the set up diagram shows to do this, but most pictures of them set up just have them pointing forward.

BeefS2

Random question, is it best to toe the rear speakers in towards the main listening position? I know that the set up diagram shows to do this, but most pictures of them set up just have them pointing forward.
I have the rears angled towards the middle of the front of the couch where I’m sitting. That works best for me

barkzz

well the speakers turned up today.
not had time to mount. First impressions pretty good. Great on atmos,fairly good on 5.1. The tears are definitely subtle, but the effect is definitely there.
Mine were also running the latest firmware according to smart things. Unsure whether to try to reflash, as how do you know they completed sub/surrounds too?

Rowns

Hi guys, having swapped the LG SN11RG for the Q90R, I’m pretty happy with the boost in sound quality, but I can’t shake the feeling that the overall Atmos style effects are predominantly at the rear, any suggestions for bringing out the front up firing speakers? Or is just the design of the unit?

The LG certainly performed better with respect to Atmos height, etc. It may just be the case that the Q90R lacks the Atmos impact in favour of better quality audio.

barkzz

Hi guys, having swapped the LG SN11RG for the Q90R, I’m pretty happy with the boost in sound quality, but I can’t shake the feeling that the overall Atmos style effects are predominantly at the rear, any suggestions for bringing out the front up firing speakers? Or is just the design of the unit?

The LG certainly performed better with respect to Atmos height, etc. It may just be the case that the Q90R lacks the Atmos impact in favour of better quality audio.
So I’ve not got my rears mounted properly yet, due to a crap time finding something suitable for the wall / or stand based for L shapes couch in the corner!...but, what I’ve done is increase side height to 4, and front height to 6. The rears are then 6 on front facing, and 4 on upper height. Hope that helps.

Rowns

So I’ve not got my rears mounted properly yet, due to a crap time finding something suitable for the wall / or stand based for L shapes couch in the corner!...but, what I’ve done is increase side height to 4, and front height to 6. The rears are then 6 on front facing, and 4 on upper height. Hope that helps.
Thanks, I’ll give it a shot. Previously I lowered the rears as they were very loud, not sure what’s happening with those saying their rear speakers are too quiet.

barkzz

Thanks, I’ll give it a shot. Previously I lowered the rears as they were very loud, not sure what’s happening with those saying their rear speakers are too quiet.
I think a lot depends on whether they have up to date firmware and on the source material. I’ve so far seen some 5.1 DD material make great use of rear, and others not so much. Atmoa is a different ball game again. Had the fun of getting atmos working via Xbox one x last night, and realised due to no earc on the Q90R TV (yet) has to re-rig cables to go via the soundbar, then faff with dolby access app

bitsss

Standard Member
Me, having the same experience with the rears. It all depends by the source,and,the most important, how the original mix was made. I found 5.1 materials sounding wonderful,and Atmos tracks that sounded lousy.

Rizvan

I think speaker placement, height, room size and ceiling have a big part to play when it comes to the Atmos affect, I too had the LG SN11 RG and did some back to back Samsung HW-950 tests and found that although the Atmos effect on the SN11 was more expansive, my N950 still worked great and the volume out of the rears was plenty.

dts

Distinguished Member

Test tones are here for anybody that wants them
Thanks for the effort,just downloaded them off Google drive,put them on a USB 3 stick...won't play nice with my Sony ubp x700 4k Blu-ray player...going directly into my Samsung HW-N950 7.1.4 soundbar...says audio is not supported!

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming To Amazon Prime Video in August 2020. Tom's Thumbs.

Trending threads

Latest News

Linn announces Majik DSM digital streamer upgrade
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces WH-1000XM4 noise cancelling headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
McIntosh launches C22 Mk V preamp and MC1502 power amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Marantz unveils 12 Series Special Edition models