Samsung HW-Q80R Soundbar Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Soundbars, Soundplates & Soundbases' started by Phil Hinton, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,728
    2. IronSoldier

IronSoldier

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +217
      It could come promising cinema reference sound. But I could never bring myself to tell a friend I paid £999 for a soundbar.

Thanks for the review as ever Steve.

3. BigPest2724

BigPest2724
      Previously Bigpest2724

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +389
      I've got this piece of kit and I'm having massive issues with connectivity.
      Sky and lg uhd player plugged into the bar directly and arced out to my b7v.
      I'm getting terrible fuzzy screens in amongst complete sound drops when switching between hdmi 1 and 2. Total nightmare for me. I've tested three full lots of cables... Two tvs and it's still the same.
      I'm getting sky saying that there isn't a hdcp source every time I switch back to it from blu ray and the resolution drops back to 1080i. The bar is constantly changing from hdmi 1/2 back to tv arc without me doing anything in addition to my blu ray not always working and switching inputs again.so annoying! It's a great bar but it's not working for me at all. I know that the equipment is fine as when connected directly to the TV it works fine BUT the dreaded lipsync issue is there and it can't be tuned out at all. I've sent videos to RS and will see what happens but it's just not working at all for me. I've had other build issues with lg soundbars over the past year which have been kindly replaced by RS but I've spent £1050 on this and it should work. If anyone knows what it is please let me know. Cheers.
      A3D0556F-0A33-4BBE-A44E-3D0430FE63EF.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    4. BigPest2724

BigPest2724
      Previously Bigpest2724

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +389
      14F9D78C-B0F2-4CA8-AF52-2333E2A18BBC.jpeg Great review..Cheers Steve... I'm,having a few issues with mine... I've just posted above.. Was thinking hdcp handshake but I'm not so sure. Your review states that it's hdcp 2.2 compliant so should be fine for me but it's not working...nightmare!!

5. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,728
      The HW-Q80R is definitely HDCP2.2 compliant, and I had it passing SDR and HDR (including Dolby Vision and HDR10+) via HDMI. It's possible you just have a duff unit, in. which case I'd recommended replacing it or possibly exchanging it for the LG SL9 or SL10 (since you already have an LG TV and player).

6. BigPest2724

BigPest2724
      Previously Bigpest2724

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +389
      Cheers Steve. I've already had a defective SJ8 and an SK10 which started overheating and making popping noises.... I'd lost faith in lg bars So I plumped for this one instead. Total step up in build quality and sounds awesome though but these issues are really annoying. I'm still looking for a fix before changing yet again as having done some research it could be a few things..
      It could be either a hdcp handshake issue so I need to power everything off and restart the handshake process.
      Turn hdmi control off on sky and see what happens.
      Change the blu ray output on the lg ubk 80 player to 4k rather than auto.
      It's all worth a try but I agree it could be faulty..if the sound if coming through garbled and the only way to fix is is to cycle through the sound presets onto surround then surely it has to be the bar?
      Another source is saying to just run the uhd player and turn sky off when you are using the player.... Surely you shouldn't have to..unless the bar can't handle the two sources bandwidth??
      All very strange

7. BOFH_UK

BOFH_UK

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +100
      Just slapped the Q90R in and (so far anyway) no problems with handshake on consoles or UHD player so, yeah, I suspect dodgy unit, especially if the cables are known good.

On the bar itself, and assuming it really is just the same as the 90 but without the surrounds... mixed feelings. It's a great sounding bit of kit and you're not losing a huge amount in exchange for convenience. Setup is easy and (based on running both the previous models for a year or so... long story, don't ask) Samsung seemed to have sorted out the wireless connection problems for the sub and, if you add them later, the surrounds.

But... man there's a lot of annoyances. The lack of test tones or auto-calibration is a weird one considering the target market and price point but only having two HDMI inputs is a major pain in the arse. For a grand I'd expect a full suite of 4 the same as most TV's come with these days. The buttons for network setup and speaker pairing are still on the bottom of the bar, as is the USB port for service updates, which is a huge faff once you've got it cabled up. While it's not the monster size of Yamaha's Atmos bar it's still a chunky thing and there's no remote repeater for those with low slung TV's.

My big bugbear with the high end Samsung kit is, sadly, still there though.... while it can certainly go loud I find it often overwhelming for a typical living room if you do so. Bass is controlled but still gives a hefty kick which when combined with Atmos tracks can be somewhat, uh, anti-social in typical British terrace housing. It'd be nice to see an option to temper that down a little or limit dynamic range for those times you don't want to blow out the windows. To be honest I usually resort to just unplugging the sub and living without.

Is it worth it? Uh... I'll be honest, if you're looking at this end of the price range I'd say go the full hog and get the 90. The surrounds work really well and at least you've got a full Atmos rig for your money. But if there's a big gulf between the two it's certainly worth considering and if you want to avoid putting cables all round the living room you might be surprised how close it can get to a similar standalone setup.

8. BigPest2724

BigPest2724
      Previously Bigpest2724

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +389
      I think it's great and I love the big sound it pumps out. I've increased the woofer by 2 and increased the bass by 2. That's the best setup I've found without majorly playing with it as I've been trying to just get it working with the issues... I live up in Newcastle so get more for my money... I've got a detached house overlooking the tyne so can have it as loud as I want BUT I'm under the thumb and I'm not allowed rear speakers haha gutted

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    9. BigPest2724

BigPest2724
      Previously Bigpest2724

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +389
      Don't suppose anyone with this could try running blu ray and sky in ports hdmi 1 and hdmi 2 and switch between the two a few times to see if any issues occur? My sky resets when this happens and I get sparkles on the screen on the blu ray input..the photos show what's on the screen but it's hard to capture .. It's almost like it can't handle both sources at once... Tia

Attached Files:

10. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,728
      Blimey, you haven't had much luck! My advice would be to start with the LG player. Connect it directly to your B7 to confirm everything works, and then connect it to the HW-Q80R via HDMI 1 and see what happens, and the HDMI 2. I'd then do the same with the Sky box and see how that goes. Then try both together, that way you might be able to isolate the problem. I'd also suggest swapping around cables in case that's the problem, and obviously check all the settings. If it's still playing up, just get RS to swap it out.

11. BigPest2724

BigPest2724
      Previously Bigpest2724

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +389
      Hi Steve
      I've had the uhd player hooked up directly to the TV and it's working fine BUT the dreaded lipsync issue is there and it can't be rectified no matter what you adjust... I've tried three full sets of cables at massive expense... Syncwire ones..snowkids ones and finally hdmi Premiu. 2.0b certified ones made by monoprice... I've tried it in 1080i (sky and Blu ray) and it still happens and also tried different configurations of arc on and off along with adjusting the 10bit option too on the TV and also blu ray... Still getting the 1980s black and white dots on uhd player startup as I just tried it a few mins ago...I'd even turned the sky box off and it went all glitch.. I'm totally broken now... I think I'm really unlucky... I've videoed it all and sent the images over to Dale at Newcastle RS who has been great and have invited anyone round to have a look too as after having a few bars they may think I'm doing something out of the ordinary with them which obviously I'm not.... Just sat in my living room as per the photos :)

12. BigPest2724

BigPest2724
      Previously Bigpest2724

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +389
      Richer sounds Newcastle have yet again been superb. Replacement coming on Friday. Thanks for your help everyone.

13. ocyrus

ocyrus

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +41
      I had nothing but problems with a Samsung and then an lg soundbar for the money it was craziness. but you never really hear of problems with Yamaha and just a few problems with sony. you phone tech support and told when they can't fix the problem it's well the Samsung soundbar is really only for a Samsung tv same with lg..

regards o..

14. BigPest2724

BigPest2724
      Previously Bigpest2724

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +389
      What bar problems did you have mate?

15. MEGATAMA

MEGATAMA

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +144
      Steve is this soundbar simillar to Sony zf9 or much higher class?...

16. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,728
      The HW-Q80R creates its immersive audio experience using three forward-firing, two side-firing, and two upward-firing drivers, along with a subwoofer. However the ZF9 only has three forward-firing drivers and a sub, and creates its immersive audio using psychoacoustic processing. So the Samsung is superior.

17. BigPest2724

BigPest2724
      Previously Bigpest2724

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +389
      2630F5B5-CA0A-4840-8D2B-53E1EEEBAFA1.png
      Hi Steve

You've counted 7 drivers or 8/9 including the sub... But on marketing pages and on the Samsung page it says 13 drivers...was just wondering which was right... Or if under the hood it was different..

18. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,728
      Sorry, I should have used speakers rather than drivers. There are seven speakers (not including the sub), but a total of 13 drivers. The front three use three drivers each, so that's nine, plus one driver in each of the other four speakers, which gives a total of 13.

19. BigPest2724

BigPest2724
      Previously Bigpest2724

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +389
      Superb Steve..just thought I'd check... Im getting a replacement on Friday..was tempted with the Sony Htst5000 but some customer reviews panned it despite your top rating..

20. ocyrus

ocyrus

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +41
      Problems.

A, soundbar would lose lip sink after about 20mins had to reboot..
      B, the soundbar would turn on to hdmi 3 couldn't do anything about it..
      C, when watching tv the screen would go blank for nothing just get audio..
      D, soundbar would also lose arc connection reboot soundbar might work..
      Had a Yamaha 2700 faultless, now the big sony also faultless stunning sound and problem less..

regards o..

21. BigPest2724

BigPest2724
      Previously Bigpest2724

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +389
      Hi mate... Did you do the update? There's no hdmi 3 on it mind you.... I've had the blank screen issue from startup and fuzzy audio and the only way to fix it was to click onto sound options and pick surround...the arc connection kept dropping on my blu ray hdni port ie port two. The way to trigger the problem is to watch a blu ray and then click the home button on your blu ray player...and then switch hdmi ports back to sky...mine would shut down and lose signal or go crackly... I'm getting another on Friday but am not so sure about reliability

22. Rhinoe

Rhinoe
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Been looking for a review like this, thank you. I am curious on your thoughts about the HW-Q80R versus the HW-Q90R given some discounts I can use. I can buy the HW-Q80R at $650 and buy the rear speakers later at around $25, or I can buy the HW-Q90R at $1000. I know you said that the separate rears for the Q80R don't have the upward firing set built into them, but at these price points would the Q80R be the better bet? All reviews I see for this lineup of new soundbars seems pretty phenomenal.

23. ocyrus

ocyrus

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +41
      No the going to hami 3 is on my tv..when turn the soundbar on to hdmi 1 then it would just change to hdmi port 3 on my tv was nothing connected to that. like I said I moved to sony never an issue from the min I bought the soundbar. lg Samsung never again. lg never fix a problem they just bring out a new model..

regards o..

24. BigPest2724

BigPest2724
      Previously Bigpest2724

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +389
      Mine jumps around a bit but at least I'm not now losing sound via sky q.... Im happy with my bar...love it

25. ocyrus

ocyrus

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +41
      Good to hear your in love, for me Yamaha fantastic projectors just didn't like voices coming out of the 2700 sub really annoying. but the sony is a beast, all the best bigpest2724..

regards o..