Samsung HW-Q80R Soundbar Owners thread

The virtual setting is supposed to simulate having rears. I have the q90r, and with rear speakers that setting is supposed to be off. If for some reason I unplug them I can turn on that feature. It’s simulated surround sound

Last edited:
The virtual setting is supposed to simulate having rears. I have the q90r, and with rear speakers that setting is supposed to be off. If for some reason I unplug them I can turn on that feature. It’s simulated surround sound
I have the Q90R and have aways left that setting on, since I have had the soundbar, wasn't completely sure what it did, will have to test it without the setting.

I have the q80R soundbar and am just about to finally purchase a Q85R TV but am wondering will the TV pass through Atmos to the the soundbar without the (much promised) eARC update or would I need something like a FireCube for that to work ?

Regarding xbox one X 4k passthrough and no-picture -

I dropped the xbox video fidelity bits per pixel down from 12 to 10 and passthrough now works 'properly'. My TV can do 60hz 12bit, 36bpp as confirmed by the xbox but when connected passthrough xbox one reports only 10bit - I suspect its a q80r limitation. i've only just bought the q80r and I'm about to return it as I thought this was a future-proofed solution.

For input I've got arc connected from the tv (sont xy9005) and get noticable audio lag from on-tv apps like disney+ and netflix. Running these on the xbox one I can at least use the sync function to account for the lag but get occasional 'poppy' artifacts on mode or resolution switching. Anyone had the same/found a fix? Thanks

Last edited:
Anyone gone from a Sony st-5000 to this soundbar? Just wanted to know if this bar is better? The Sony I had was Was lacking in Dolby Atmos effects

Anyone gone from a Sony st-5000 to this soundbar? Just wanted to know if this bar is better? The Sony I had was Was lacking in Dolby Atmos effects

I'm looking at the reverse (going to st-5000 from q80r). Just returned my q80r back due to the lipsync lag on inbuilt tv apps and inability to pass through 4:4:4 chroma.

New thread created : ive ordered one of these and an getting it on Tuesday... I'm interested to hear from owners about it and discuss it in more detail. Recent Samsung bars sound amazing so I'm hopeful with this one.

What the best way to connect this bar to LG c9 please? Both have earc. I’ll be using it for Netflix via tv & movies via my Panasonic uhd player

What the best way to connect this bar to LG c9 please? Both have earc. I’ll be using it for Netflix via tv & movies via my Panasonic uhd player
Earc

If I use eARC to connect this soundbar to an LG B9 TV can I then control the volume using just the LG remote ?

Hi,after the last firmware my hdmi 2 input has stopped working.Is there any way to get the older firmware or any help please.thanks jimmy

Last edited:
Well this soundbar is sh*t. Wish I stuck with the Sony st5000

Mind telling me why you dont like the q80r? I am looking at either the LG SN9YG or the Q80R connected via eARC to my LG CX. Id be interested to know what you didnt like about the Q80R?

In my research of the Q80R, I keep coming across complaints of lipsync issues. Can anyone comment on if these still exist with the latest firmware/when connected via eARC?

Mind telling me why you dont like the q80r? I am looking at either the LG SN9YG or the Q80R connected via eARC to my LG CX. Id be interested to know what you didnt like about the Q80R?

In my research of the Q80R, I keep coming across complaints of lipsync issues. Can anyone comment on if these still exist with the latest firmware/when connected via eARC?

Only reason I sent it back was to get the q90 wanted the rear speakers. I had no lipsync issues with mine

Got an LG B9 and using eARC with built in apps I see the occasional audio delay with YouTube but all other apps are fine - I would say as a pro gamer I’m unusually wired for lag of any type As no one else in my family since eARC arrived notices anything...

Hey all, do you also get a signal noise from the speaker closest to the power plug connector?

I have this constant humming sound coming exactly from where the power plug is, even when nothing else but power is connected to the bar…

It makes me wonder if that's a product flaw (by design) or if (another) replacement would fix it…

Got an LG B9 and using eARC with built in apps I see the occasional audio delay with YouTube but all other apps are fine - I would say as a pro gamer I’m unusually wired for lag of any type As no one else in my family since eARC arrived notices anything...

Strange, I have this connected via eARC to my CX, and cant say that ive noticed any audio delays at all. I am not using the built-in apps, though, I have my shield passed through the soundbar, and my cable tv, switch, and ps4 connected to the TV.

So I have this bar and loving it, used an SPL meter app on my phone and balanced the speakers properly, and all good so far.

Two questions for everyone, though:
1. What sound mode are you using? Do you use one and leave it (standard, adaptive) or do you change it based on source? (standard for tv/news, adaptive for movies, game for games?)
2. Does adjusting the bass and treble levels do anything for movies/tv/games, or is it only for music? Cant say I notice any difference when changing them?

Have it on adaptive which works well for me on all my inputs and goes automatically to Atmos when the source outputs it...

Have it on adaptive which works well for me on all my inputs and goes automatically to Atmos when the source outputs it...

yeah after some more testing today, including movies and ps4 gaming, I think I’ve settled that adaptive is the way to go. Thanks for taking the time to reply

I picked up a Q80R yesterday as they had been reduced in Curry’s and I’m very impressed!!

i had an MS650 with the rear speakers and it was great...this thing is another level though!!

Far more immersive sound and works great with my existing rears (I had no need for upfiring rears as they are in a bookshelf behind me)....I’ve not had it past 18 volume yet as it shakes the walls!!

One criticism on my MS650 is that the rears never worked as ’tears’ and they just seemed to pipe through the same audio as the fronts

I just need to get a new stand now so that the upfiring fronts aren’t obstructed

Hello all, after debating between q80r and jbl 9.1, I decided to go for q80r mainly because my wife won’t not let me use the rear speaker anyway.

I have one issue though with the height of the soundbar. I have ordered the Sony 65xh9096, where screen distance from surface is 7.9cm (stand + bezels) and the q80r is 8cm. wall mounting is not an option.
How do you deal with the height of this soundbar? I have seen that most of the soundbar have a height of 5.5-6.5 cm. Any solutions?

I'd be having a word with the wife.....I had the Q80R - quality soundbar but I now have the JBL 9.1 and it's stunning.

Thinking about upgrading to this. Can anyone tell me if it can pass through a 24hz Dolby Vision Signal? I have read on some online forums that it can but nothing definitive.

Many thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom