Samsung HW-Q80R Soundbar Owners thread

powefull

well happy with it man ... there's a fair old boom of it :)
I watched 6 underground the other night ... unreal ... visually and sound wise ...
ideally you wouldn't want neighbours .... i might have to buy mine some ear plugs ... :)
Great news... Really happy that it's what you expected...

i can see myself getting rear speakers for it at some stage ... but well impressed ... its great for music as well ... spotify and deezer ...
Cool...shame you didn't get the q90r in that case..the rears for the 80 aren't Atmos as where the 90 ones you get with it are. 80 ones are cheaper though

When hooking up external devices like (cable box, Apple TV) the manual says to connect the HDMI into the soundbar. When I was talking to tech support they told me that plugging those devices into the TV vs. the soundbar gives better sound. Do you guys agree with that? Why wouldn't the manual state that?

Hey all,

I'm losing my mind with this soundbar and I'm hoping you all can help.

I have the Samsung HW Q80R soundbar plugged into a Vizio PX65-G1 using certified HDMI cable into the ARC slot. Firmware 1008.

Into the soundbar I have an Apple 4K TV and an Xbox One X.

My issue is that, sometimes, when I try to play HDR content (Games mainly) I see no visuals, but can still hear audio. The TV says there is a signal coming (Otherwise it would display "No Signal") but all I see is a black screen. This problem mainly happens with the Xbox but has happened with the Apple TV as well. If I plug my devices directly into the TV, I get video just fine.

I sent the soundbar back to samsung to get it fixed, I just received it back and the problem is still happening.

Anyone experience this? I'm really close to giving up on this thing.

Last edited:
Hey all,

I'm losing my mind with this soundbar and I'm hoping you all can help.

I have the Samsung HW Q80R soundbar plugged into a Vizio PX65-G1 using certified HDMI cable into the ARC slot. Firmware 1008.

Into the soundbar I have an Apple 4K TV and an Xbox One X.

My issue is that, sometimes, when I try to play HDR content (Games mainly) I see no visuals, but can still hear audio. The TV says there is a signal coming (Otherwise it would display "No Signal") but all I see is a black screen. This problem mainly happens with the Xbox but has happened with the Apple TV as well. If I plug my devices directly into the TV, I get video just fine.

I sent the soundbar back to samsung to get it fixed, I just received it back and the problem is still happening.

Anyone experience this? I'm really close to giving up on this thing.
What hdmi cables are they? And have you set your TV and sources to output 4k? I gave up with it too

What hdmi cables are they? And have you set your TV and sources to output 4k? I gave up with it too
Certified 18Gbps cables, all output is set to 4K. Xbox set to HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

I feel like this has to be a pass-thru problem but seems like such an odd issue since I've been searching this problem for at least a month and haven't found anyone else experiencing it.

Certified 18Gbps cables, all output is set to 4K. Xbox set to HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

I feel like this has to be a pass-thru problem but seems like such an odd issue since I've been searching this problem for at least a month and haven't found anyone else experiencing it.

Mate that's not a brand... Any cable can be verified as cerified and you can still get issues... I had this problem..other option could be the tvs output... Maybe get a new TV haha

So this soundbar sounds great but definitely some limitations. When hooked up to my LG OLEDB9 and my Xbox One X I cannot get 1440p @120hz...only if i plug xbox directly to TV. Help me fix this!!!

So this soundbar sounds great but definitely some limitations. When hooked up to my LG OLEDB9 and my Xbox One X I cannot get 1440p @120hz...only if i plug xbox directly to TV. Help me fix this!!!
Have you got hdmi 2.1 cables? Sounds like a lack of bandwidth..i have the same tv. The TV is def 2.1... The bar supports earc I think so connectivity should be OK.
I'd check your cables...keep me posted as I'm curious now

Have you got hdmi 2.1 cables? Sounds like a lack of bandwidth..i have the same tv. The TV is def 2.1... The bar supports earc I think so connectivity should be OK.
I'd check your cables...keep me posted as I'm curious now
I eliminated the cables being the issue when I bypassed the soundbar and plugged XB1X directly into my OLED65B9. They are 48Gbps 8k rated cables and they work fine. I will swap with original cables that came with my xbox to see but I'm pretty sure it's the soundbar. Also I dont think we ever got the eARC update from Samsung. Anyone else have XB1X > HWQ80/Q90 > LGOLED setup and getting 1440p @ 120Hz???

When hooking up external devices like (cable box, Apple TV) the manual says to connect the HDMI into the soundbar. When I was talking to tech support they told me that plugging those devices into the TV vs. the soundbar gives better sound. Do you guys agree with that? Why wouldn't the manual state that?
I would like to know the answer to this as well....if I plug my xbox one X directly to my TV how would I get the sound on my HWQ80R soundbar?

Just got a Q80R tonight, trying to move away from my big tower speakers, thought the soundbar would give more surround sound effect and free up some space on my wall. I will say very disappointed so far.

Running 4k apple TV straight into soundbar IN -> HDMI OUT -> TV. Very basic made sure settings were correct and set to atmos in Apple TV

Room setup I think common, bar under TV that sits against back wall, ceiling height 8-9ft, wall on the left, no wall on the right just open. Tried multiple adjustments and sound modes throughout my process.

For starters I find very little surround sound experience if any at all, i thought the speakers would trick my ears into thinking sound was coming from above or around and while very very few times it does for the most part everything sounds like it coming from a soundbar which obviously it is.

Also find the sound very harsh in comparison to the speakers I have but that just comparing.

Lastly and the biggest deal breaker. The sound goes from quiet to EXTREMELY loud. Ex: Spider-man far from home. The beginning walking thru torn up village talking between Nick Fury and ..girl.. its really quiet, then gets EXTREMELY LOUD when mysterio comes crashing down and shoots the monster. This happens pretty much for every single movie/tv show i tried

There like a quiet/loud management mode in AppleTV which helps but then loose the all surround sound effects even the little it had to begin with.

Will test more tmr, but at the moment very disappointed most likely a return

Heads up I realized the only thing that should be plugged into your soundbar is the TV via ARC....everything else should be put through your TV,s HDMI ports. This maximizes performance. Only if u run out of ports should u be using the ones on the soundbar. Unless your TV is old

Heads up I realized the only thing that should be plugged into your soundbar is the TV via ARC....everything else should be put through your TV,s HDMI ports. This maximizes performance. Only if u run out of ports should u be using the ones on the soundbar. Unless your TV is old

Not correct mate, without the earc update (and both TV and bar need to support it) you will need to plug devices which use lossless Atmos/true hd/DTS:X etc... Directly into the bar, examples being uhd players and streamers playing back 4k uhd rips. In addition if your TV is not capable of decoding Dolby MAT and repackaging it into a DD+ plus container then these devices will also need to be connected directly to the bar (eg apple TV 4k)

So long and short of it all is that this sound bar though good when it works, should be avoided due to numerous issues? Damn, my hope dashed?

Much like the Mac forums which would have you believe that every Mac ever made is riddled with issues I would take a realistic view of online threads about products as no-one ever comes on generally to say “well done lads mine is fine” ;) I think a little foreknowledge is great about product use and comments from actual customers is v helpful but just be wary about getting a dim view of great products. Just head to the rolls Royce car forums to see what I mean.....Or the Apple Watch one or the AirPods one or the kindle one Or the Switch one ....etc etc and they are the best products of their generations...

It’s so easy to return products now especially with JL or Richer Sounds that effectively these issues (if you have them) become moot to some extent.

Does anyone here know what the Virtual setting does? It seems you can even engage it with an Atmos soundtrack, but not clear what it’s meant to simulate? Any opinions on what it does to the sound?

Hello.
I have my uhd/4k Remux movies in a hdd 1tb disk that i connect via usb in the Oled C9. All are UHD Remux True HD 7.1 Atmos, but only two of the movies display the "Atmos" on the soundbar.
It also works with some Atmos demos i have on the hdd. I also tryed testing with the soundbar off, but only hdr displays on the tv. Guess its a problem with the files?
Can anyone please help me out :thumbsup:

Hi guys, got myself a q80r at a good price. Does anyone have any settings advice for the treble, bass, sub, centre, side, front top etc. I've got them all on 0 apart from the bass an sub at the moment, not sure what to set them at or leave them alone?

God that Samsung app was a faff - if you can see it to name it in the devices screen why cant I update it eh ? Anyway after two phone reboots and it on and off three times it finally did.

Right a few simple (I hope) questions..... can I rename the HDMI inputs into something like Apple TV or Fire TV ? And can I change the stupidly large volume steps it goes up on the soundbar when using the volume up button on my iPhone for music over BT ?

Does anyone else have an issue where the soundbar regularly and sometimes constantly, displays 'wifi disconnected' and 'wifi connected' over and over?

Does anyone else have an issue where the soundbar regularly and sometimes constantly, displays 'wifi disconnected' and 'wifi connected' over and over?
If anyone else has this, I solved mine by splitting my WiFi 2.5&5Ghz channels . When connecting to 5Ghz the bar would constantly display WiFi connecting and then WiFi disconnecting over and over for hours before stopping and being unavailable in smartthings app. Ensure you connect to 2.4Ghz and things will be fine. I spent days chatting to Samsung about this, they weren't the most helpful. But got there in the end.

2019 TCL Roku 55R625, Samsung Q80R Soundbar/surrounds and Apple TV 4K.
I Subscribe to hulu live. When watching live TV with hulu through the Roku TV app using the Adaptive sound setting on the Q80R and set to DD+ DTS I get no sound coming from the surrounds. However when I switch to the Apple TV 4K box and watch Hulu Live the surrounds come alive and are plenty loud. Why surround sound from one and not the other? Thanks for any suggestions.

As for the problems with pass through at high frame rates. I have an Nvidia shield and I can get 4K at 60hz, but to get Dolby vision I can only do 4K at 24hz. Which for me works just fine, as most of the content I stream is 24. The q90r doesn’t officially support Dolby vision. So I think it’s an issue with the soundbar. I don’t have eARC, so this won’t work for me, but it seems like If you want to use higher frame rates you need to connect to the tv

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom