Samsung HW-Q80R Soundbar Owners thread

BigPest

Previously Bigpest2724
Reaction score
New thread created : ive ordered one of these and an getting it on Tuesday... I'm interested to hear from owners about it and discuss it in more detail. Recent Samsung bars sound amazing so I'm hopeful with this one.

Edit the thread title and turn it into the owners thread for the Q80.

I'm interested in this also, I'm assuming you can't stretch to the Q90 for one reason or another? same as me, my room is quite small and I sit back against a wall so the rears wont work at all in my room (well they will but they'd be less than ideal)

Edit the thread title and turn it into the owners thread for the Q80.

I'm interested in this also, I'm assuming you can't stretch to the Q90 for one reason or another? same as me, my room is quite small and I sit back against a wall so the rears wont work at all in my room (well they will but they'd be less than ideal)
I can't edit it lol. Any ideas??

I'm not allowed the rear speakers so I'm stuck lol... The 90 is also 500 more atm so a lot more money for the surround sound

Click edit, then click 'more options' and you'll be able to change the thread title.

Click edit, then click 'more options' and you'll be able to change the thread title.
Cheers dude all sorted.
I heard the hw 850 which was in currys for £999 and that sounded awesome. I've got high hopes for this one.

Cheers dude all sorted.
I heard the hw 850 which was in currys for £999 and that sounded awesome. I've got high hopes for this one.

I currently have the HW-K850 which is essentially the frist generation of atmos soundbar Samsung did that came out in late 2016, it's 3.1.2 system but being a first gen product it had some niggling issues which persist to this day but it's performance when fed the right content has always been superb so hoping the Q80r can be a step up in performance and in stablilty, it comes with eARC so it's future proofed also and will help iron out any issues.

I currently have the HW-K850 which is essentially the frist generation of atmos soundbar Samsung did that came out in late 2016, it's 3.1.2 system but being a first gen product it had some niggling issues which persist to this day but it's performance when fed the right content has always been superb so hoping the Q80r can be a step up in performance and in stablilty, it comes with eARC so it's future proofed also and will help iron out any issues.
Nice one... I've got the lg b7v oled and and had the lg sj8 and sk10 bars which had issues....I've had it with them making popping noises from the circuits inside amongst other niggles. Will be nice to have dts x too...
Just want something that projects nicely as the sk10 was actually worse on atmos content..weird

Thought about the SL10YG as I like it's slick design when compared to the more blocky ones Samsung puts out but it's a touch too long and it has no eARC which is terrible from LG as they have it on their 2019 TV's.

Thought about the SL10YG as I like it's slick design when compared to the more blocky ones Samsung puts out but it's a touch too long and it has no eARC which is terrible from LG as they have it on their 2019 TV's.
Yeah good point... I like the Samsung blockiness. The sk10 is plastic and can't handle any heat inside. This one is solid metal I think and it's heavy...the way a soundbar should be. I couldn't think of another option really other than sl10 which is more or less the same but with dts audio..and Atmos but no dts x for some reason

Yeah good point... I like the Samsung blockiness. The sk10 is plastic and can't handle any heat inside. This one is solid metal I think and it's heavy...the way a soundbar should be. I couldn't think of another option really other than sl10 which is more or less the same but with dts audio..and Atmos but no dts x for some reason

So the Atmos effect on the SK10 wasn't very good? on my K850 it's very solid when it comes to Atmos performance and I know switching over to what is essentially a newer better version of it will maybe give even better performance. I was considering the Sony St5000 for a while but have read from several owners the overheard effects are not as good as those produced on the N850 (which was last years samsung atmos model)

So the Atmos effect on the SK10 wasn't very good? on my K850 it's very solid when it comes to Atmos performance and I know switching over to what is essentially a newer better version of it will maybe give even better performance. I was considering the Sony St5000 for a while but have read from several owners the overheard effects are not as good as those produced on the N850 (which was last years samsung atmos model)
I looked at the Sony too which ticked all of the boxes but was a few hundred more. No the Atmos wasn't great on any content really. I sit square on too and nothing really whizzed about me. Standing in currys today last year's samsung literally threw all the sound around me and that's with the right side speaker obstructed by an adjoining unit in the shop. The Sk10 was making noises which were doing my head in too so I'm hoping this is the one. Are you getting one of these soon then?

I've been after a soundbar for a while to go with an lg 55 b7 and now have my eye on this. My tv is in a corner and 2 couches against opposite walls, so no point in the rears. I'm looking forward to reading peoples experiences with this.

I've been after a soundbar for a while to go with an lg 55 b7 and now have my eye on this. My tv is in a corner and 2 couches against opposite walls, so no point in the rears. I'm looking forward to reading peoples experiences with this.
Well mate I've got the same tv do I'll get posting when I get it. I've had issues with arc on lg bars so you never know..this one should work fine in that department :)
It looks solidly built too with metal construction as where the lg is plastic.. It's costing me a bit more than the sk10 but if the shop demo is anything to go by on last year's 850 it should be an easy decision. I get next to no Atmos effect on the sk10 which is a shame as I've upgraded all of my kit. The dts sound on that one actually sounded more atmospheric than the Atmos track... Crazy! Ready player one scene two is the one to test any bar... The race scene totally showcases my point

I had a look at this today in John Lewis at the trafford center. It's a lot bigger than I thought and I was impressed with the sound. They had a few demos running that switched atmos on and off and the effect really worked, even in the middle of the store. I need to measure up now.

Just a heads up for those with LG sets. If you are using the included TV stand and plan to place the bar in front then it may be worth to check that you have enough clearance. The Bar is approx 8.5cm high

cheers

I just measured up and would need a new tv cabinet :(

I just measured up and would need a new tv cabinet :(
Mines 1.4 m wide..Boom lol..the sk 10 I had was 1440mm I think and just went over...
Buy a new stand..mine is pine and fits everything nicely...
Pleased about the sound being thrown everywhere...it's the way it should be..

Any recommendations for a good stand that will fit tv and soundbar? Also is there a way to raise the tv slightly?

I was thinking about an ikea besta after reading another thread.

Any recommendations for a good stand that will fit tv and soundbar? Also is there a way to raise the tv slightly?

I was thinking about an ikea besta after reading another thread.[/QUOTE

I've got a discontinued chunky pine stand but the TV is raised on felt feet sat on this

Solid Oak Hobbyboard 850 x 400 x 18mm

Rock solid and fits the TV nicely... Just measure up and see what is best..

Check amazon for table top TV stands. I'll be getting one for my LG C9 when I eventually get it as the stand provided with the TV sits very low and leaves no room for a decent soundbar.

I'd never thought of looking here but richer sounds have some corkers that will house anything.

TV Stands | Richer Sounds

A friend of mine called terry may be able to help with which one he bought as it's really stylish and fitted in his Samsung bar nicely. I'll message him.

I like this 1.4m wide one. Gives you an idea of what's out there. Wayfair.co.uk - Shop Furniture, Lighting, Homeware & More Online

Last edited:
I'd never thought of looking here but richer sounds have some corkers that will house anything.

TV Stands | Richer Sounds

A friend of mine called terry may be able to help with which one he bought as it's really stylish and fitted in his Samsung bar nicely. I'll message him.

I like this 1.4m wide one. Gives you an idea of what's out there. Wayfair.co.uk - Shop Furniture, Lighting, Homeware & More Online
Here’s my setup.i have the avf affinity bay 1150 curved tv stand Everything fits nicely I didn’t need to raise the tv either the soundbar fits perfectly.since this photo was taken I’ve removed the feet on the soundbar making it even lower.this stand is for TVs up to 55 inch but they do the same stand for up to 70 inch TVs as well

Attachments

• D779562E-9BFE-404C-82EB-F042FF729377.jpeg
    D779562E-9BFE-404C-82EB-F042FF729377.jpeg
    697.1 KB · Views: 477
Last edited:

I've removed my sk10 from my setup (which was 1.4m long) in readiness for Tuesdays new bar. If you zoom in you'll see the hobbyboard mounted up on four felt feet so I get the exact height I need. The stand is a chunky pine one however I can't find a link for it.
The wires disappear underneath too so it's nice and neat :)
EE57C57D-7814-4918-BB2C-45B6AA44999D.jpeg

Well it's here... Rock solid... I've just put ready player one on on scene two..the Atmos sound actually made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.... And bear in mind I've heard this play about fifty times to test out other bars and settings...I've heard things I've not heard before...Scene 3 on infinity war you can hear things flying everywhere...just working through my reference movies. So happy.. But I'm only an hour in..first impressions couldn't be better :)

Attachments

• AF7C1EF0-C6C0-4808-860B-1CB6D2B418AB.jpeg
    AF7C1EF0-C6C0-4808-860B-1CB6D2B418AB.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,226
Last edited:
Looks great with your setup Dave looks a bit longer then my HWMS650 goes great with the b7 though .hope you have many happy problem free years together :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom