Samsung HW-Q80R Soundbar Owners thread

Nikesh1980

Novice Member
Thanks for all your advise BigPest
The firmware version on the app (for the soundbar is 1007.9 where as the firmware update online is 1008 so I think the update hasn't happened. I might uninstall the smart things app on my phone, reinstall it and try to do the update.. If that fails, I might just call JL and ask them to swap it for another unit. I do love the sound but this not sticking to hdmi1 is an annoying niggle.
What did you get instead of the q80r?

BigPest

Previously Bigpest2724
Thanks for all your advise BigPest
The firmware version on the app (for the soundbar is 1007.9 where as the firmware update online is 1008 so I think the update hasn't happened. I might uninstall the smart things app on my phone, reinstall it and try to do the update.. If that fails, I might just call JL and ask them to swap it for another unit. I do love the sound but this not sticking to hdmi1 is an annoying niggle.
What did you get instead of the q80r?
Other option is a proper reset on the bar...then update
LG sk10... 500 quid..steal!! On in currys now

BigPest

Previously Bigpest2724
That is indeed a steal. Sound quality wise are you happy compared to the q80r?
How do I reset the q80r?
Well it doesnt make that annoying popping noise anymore which the n850 had and also q80r... None of that jumping about arc issue... Sounds was amazing on the n850... Better than q80r in my view... The sk10 is more nuanced... Not as Boomy or as decent atmos projection but is a better overall with the big sound stage... Have to spend time setting up to get the best out of the speakers...
Check your manual with resetting..think it's hold down the cog button on your remote

Nikesh1980

Novice Member
Well it doesnt make that annoying popping noise anymore which the n850 had and also q80r... None of that jumping about arc issue... Sounds was amazing on the n850... Better than q80r in my view... The sk10 is more nuanced... Not as Boomy or as decent atmos projection but is a better overall with the big sound stage... Have to spend time setting up to get the best out of the speakers...
Check your manual with resetting..think it's hold down the cog button on your remote
Again thank you very much, you have been a massive help

Bonz

Novice Member
Good afternoon,
I just received my first soundbar (Samsung HW-Q80R) and from what I read the correct way to make the call will be:
HDMI ARC Out Soundbar ---- HDMI EARC IN LGC9

HDMI IN 1 IN Soundbar ---- HDMI Box Cable (NOS)

I have the following issues:
-I can turn on / off the Soundbar as well as control the volume with the control of TV but I can no longer control the Cable Box and change channels.
- When changing tv sound settings to Hdmi Arc Dolby Atmos shows unavailable (gray) .

Anyone with a soundbar like this or the Q70 / Q90 that knows if Dolby Atmos info doesn't appear on the soundbar display when running availabe Dolby Atmos with Netflix?
I thank all the help possible.

Greetings

nigel77

I've just received and setup my HW-Q80R and need some clarification. I have read in the review and seen a couple of youtube videos that state that the "standard" setting is the default mode to playback sound in its original source format and that the "surround" and "adaptive" settings up mix the source to output 7.1 sound.

I am not finding this. In standard mode the soundbar is only producing stereo sound, this is the same from Netflix and Prime Video which are both feed to the soundbar from my TV via an optical connection. If I select the "Surround" setting all seems good.

Smeemi

Novice Member
Hi all.

I just bought the Samsung Q80r. My understanding is that the soundbar is the same one that comes with the Q90r. However you don't get the wireless rear speakers.

These speakers are not available to purchase from Samsung and instead you can only get the swa-9000s which doesn't have upfiring speakers. This also comes with an external wireless receiver box.

My question is...

Is the wireless receiver necessary for the q80? The q90 doesn't require a wireless receiver. So if I happen to find a set of q90 wireless rear speakers (or n950), would they work with the q80?

Anyone manage to find a set or have any alternative options? Or pot luck, anyone have a set that they don't use and would sell?

nigel77

So I've now been using the Q80R for the past couple of days and with 5.1 input from Netflix or Prime Video in either the Surround or Adaptive mode it's a huge upgrade over my TV. The sound is far more immersive and the rear channels do a very good job. Considering the subwoofer only uses a 160w amp and 8" driver, it's also very impressive.

My biggest gripes with this system is there is a massive hole in the upper bass / low midband region and this is particularly evident when listening to music in standard (stereo) mode which means this system is absolute pants for music. the other issue is that adjustments cannot be made to the output of either the left or right front or surround channels which means that if the soundbar is positioned closer to the one wall then the other that is predominantly the only surround sound that you hear and there is no way to balance it which is plan dumb!

Other then the above it's a good soundbar but certainly not worth £1000 given that it's possible to buy a dedicated all-in-one 5.1 system for £500 that would absolutely kill it. Samsung must be making HUGE profits off these soundbars

Smeemi

Novice Member
So I've now been using the Q80R for the past couple of days and with 5.1 input from Netflix or Prime Video in either the Surround or Adaptive mode it's a huge upgrade over my TV. The sound is far more immersive and the rear channels do a very good job. Considering the subwoofer only uses a 160w amp and 8" driver, it's also very impressive.

My biggest gripes with this system is there is a massive hole in the upper bass / low midband region and this is particularly evident when listening to music in standard (stereo) mode which means this system is absolute pants for music. the other issue is that adjustments cannot be made to the output of either the left or right front or surround channels which means that if the soundbar is positioned closer to the one wall then the other that is predominantly the only surround sound that you hear and there is no way to balance it which is plan dumb!

Other then the above it's a good soundbar but certainly not worth £1000 given that it's possible to buy a dedicated all-in-one 5.1 system for £500 that would absolutely kill it. Samsung must be making HUGE profits off these soundbars
It's good I bought mine for £500 yesterday then :D.

Smeemi

Novice Member
That's good, I'm guessing that was ex-dem or used. I searched everywhere and the cheapest I could get was £809 from Richer Sounds, at £500 it's a good soundbar.
Brand new sealed actually. Richer sounds were doing a promotion where you buy a TV and you get a free q80r. This led to an influx of q80rs on eBay which went for £500 ish.

nigel77

Brand new sealed actually. Richer sounds were doing a promotion where you buy a TV and you get a free q80r. This led to an influx of q80rs on eBay which went for £500 ish.
You got a good deal there. Wish I had searched eBay.

DanMc07

Standard Member
New owner here.

For some reason I cannot for the life of me get the subwoofer to connect to my bar.

The blue light will just flash all the time.

I've tried manually connecting the woofer but it that doesn't seem to work either.

I've updated the firmware also.

Anyone else had an issue with connections?

nigel77

How far have you placed the Sub from the Soundbar and are there any obstructions between them?

Where is your router in relation to the two devices?

DanMc07

Standard Member
The sub is maybe 1-2 feet from the bar with no obstruction and the router is upstairs at the other end of the house. I'm guessing I've got a faulty unit? What's the latest firmware available on the device? The Samsung app downloaded 1007.9 last night

nigel77

That is the lastest firmware although I've not updated my Firmware and have no issues with the Bluetooth connection to the sub and from the positioning you've stated It certainly appears your Soundbar or Sub is defective.

BigPest

Previously Bigpest2724
i'm looking to buy a soundbar .. just wondering how is the q70 sounding now .. any problems arising similiar to the q80 ...
Get the 80 over 70..80 is double the bars quality for a touch more money

I'vi offically joined the q80 club :)
I have it hooked up to the panasonic gz950 ...
what settings would ye recommend ....
I'll write up my views after I've giving them a proper test ... but so far ... I've had the tv since B.F sales and just got Q80 ... the picture on the TV is superb ... and soundbar ..... sounds great ... :thumbsup:
thanks

BigPest

Previously Bigpest2724
I'll write up my views after I've giving them a proper test ... but so far ... I've had the tv since B.F sales and just got Q80 ... the picture on the TV is superb ... and soundbar ..... sounds great ... :thumbsup:
thanks
My settings were in this thread somewhere... I had I popping noise on my Samsung kit though which was so annoying

BigPest

Previously Bigpest2724
thanks
How's the bar mate... All OK?

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming To Amazon Prime Video in August 2020. Tom's Thumbs.

Trending threads

Latest News

Linn announces Majik DSM digital streamer upgrade
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces WH-1000XM4 noise cancelling headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
McIntosh launches C22 Mk V preamp and MC1502 power amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Marantz unveils 12 Series Special Edition models