Samsung HW-Q80R Soundbar or Wharfedale DX-2 Speaker Package?

NBrice

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Basically I'm torn between two different options.

I'm looking at getting rid of my large bookshelf speakers and this either means getting a soundbar, or getting more compact speakers to use with my existing Marantz NR1506 receiver.

I've narrowed down to HW-Q80R or Wharfedale DX-2. The Q80 is £800 now and includes a sub so seems to be better value than the Arc. And the DX-2 is only £349 for the full 5.1 speaker package and the speakers are the perfect size to hide as not too deep (unlike the 3010s for example).

From a sound quality point of view, which is going to be better?

Clearly the DX-2 option won't provide Atmos but it will give me the rears, and be half the price. But I do like the idea of a soundbar and I've never experienced Atmos. Would be good to get an idea of which is going to be better.

Soundbars are an audio compromise, they do though have the advantage of neatness compared with seperates.
For outright soundquality stick with seperates, for wizz bang effects such as atmos the samsung will deliver, the quality of the audio wont ultimately be as good but the effects in terms of creating an audio bubble will be better.
hope that helps a little.

Having owned and tested the Samsung HW-N950 and LG SN11 RG Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 Sound Bar's abilities .... I can only echo what Keith has already said.
Stick with separates if you can IF neatness doeskin bother you etc.

I have recently gone to a dedicated AVR and 5.1.2 speaker setup.... both have compromises though.... a sound bar is the neater and more invisible setup with great Atmos effects... whereas the speaker route has taken up more space in an already small space and introduced black boxes everywhere.

Thanks for the feedback. Think I'll give the soundbar a go and see how I get on.

Thanks for the feedback. Think I'll give the soundbar a go and see how I get on.

If I was you, I would stick with the Wharfdale DX-2 but replace the sub with a powerful one. This is one area where there will be a no contest no matter how much bubble Atmos gives you.

If I was you, I would stick with the Wharfdale DX-2 but replace the sub with a powerful one. This is one area where there will be a no contest no matter how much bubble Atmos gives you.
I second that, stick with dedicated speakers if you can. Going down the sound bar route is a compromise :)

I second that, stick with dedicated speakers if you can. Going down the sound bar route is a compromise :)

Hoping there companies come to senses and start offering wired sub out. However chances of that happening on a full.blown 7.1.4 soundbar is 1 in a billion :(

So, I was close to getting the Q80 but all the stuff about lip sync issues, and a plethora of other issues, totally put me off. Considering my Marantz receiver never misses a beat. Just not worth the hassle. Other issue was the lack of night mode or DRC, which is a big problem when you have a little one in bed when watching movies.

Decided to go the DX-2 route for now with my existing NR1506 AVR and then upgrade my receiver to the newly announced NR1711 in September which fully supports HDMI 2.1 ready for PS5/XSX :clap:

Last edited:
So, I was close to getting the Q80 but all the stuff about lip sync issues, and a plethora of other issues, totally put me off. Considering my Marantz receiver never misses a beat. Just not worth the hassle. Other issue was the lack of night mode or DRC, which is a big problem when you have a little one in bed when watching movies.

Decided to go the DX-2 route for now with my existing NR1506 AVR and then upgrade my receiver to the newly announced NR1711 in September which fully supports HDMI 2.1 ready for PS5/XSX :clap:
Sounds like a wise choice, just finished watching Iron Man 2 on UHD Blu-ray with Dolby Atmos.
Really enjoying having a proper amplifier and speaker setup. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom