Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews (21/04/21)

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
This week we review the new Samsung HW-Q800A soundbar and the Rotel Michi X3 integrated Amplifier. We discuss the best decor and fittings for your media room or home cinema and Greg looks at a Gaming PC while Cas rounds up the latest TV show and Film news and reviews.

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:22 - Welcome and catchup
00:10:58 - Competitions
00:14:05 - Buy our merchandise!
00:17:20 - New Sony projectors
00:21:45 - The end of universal remote controls
00:26:45 - New Technics turntables
00:31:33 - New Apple TV 4K news
00:33:50 - New iPad Pro
00:37:30 - CyberPower iCUE Infinity Gaming PC review
00:44:37 - Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar review
00:49:09 - Rotel Michi X3 Integrated Amplifier review
00:56:54 - Home cinema/entertainment room decor tips
01:10:20 - Ed's album of the week
01:13:47 - RIP Jim Steinman
01:17:35 - Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice IMAX 4K Blu-ray review
01:30:00 - Movie news
01:40:50 - TV recommendations & Netflix news
01:51:00 - Umberella shocker
01:55:30 - Podcast competition

Presented by Phil Hinton with Greg Hook, Cas Harlow, Ed Selley and Steve Withers

These links will be live following the live stream on Wednesday evening at 7pm.

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited:

MrMrH

Please cover various options of where to find decent AV Cabinets.

FergieB

That 7 minutes of Mortal Kombat looks excellent and Cas is right that Scorpion’s Revenge is also a brilliant animated film.

Fasen

Fasen

steviedr

Distinguished Member

Mr-Mixalot

@Ed Selley re Schott peacoats,
I too love them and have many versions / brands over the years, my latest variant is the SuperDry wool version, fits perfect & looks good with a white t-shirt, pair of jeans and any colour of Adidas Gazelle

The icing on the cake for me being I got mine for £20!!! :), I could easily sell it for 10 times the price but never will

Jessica Noir

Great podcast as usual chaps. Speaking of Jesse Eisenberg’s take on Lex Luther, I heard that he based it on sex-pest Max Landis with whom Eisenberg work with on American Ultra.

Thanks for the home cinema tips, my walls are covered in framed film posters and the reflections do my head in. Might need to invest in some drapes on a rail I could pull across them.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Great podcast as usual chaps. Speaking of Jesse Eisenberg’s take on Lex Luther, I heard that he based it on sex-pest Max Landis with whom Eisenberg work with on American Ultra.

Thanks for the home cinema tips, my walls are covered in framed film posters and the reflections do my head in. Might need to invest in some drapes on a rail I could pull across them.

There's some irony in that, as Landis reportedly wrote the Honest Trailers skit on BvS where he does indeed refer to Eisenberg's portrayal of Lex Luthor as "Max Landis". Maybe he thought it was a compliment lol.

1619106208468.png

FergieB

A poor choice then by Eisenberg but the real culprit in all this is the fool who cast him in the first instance. Unforgivable.

Toon Army

Thanks gents and in particular Ed for this week's album recommendation. Any chance of sharing your Spotify Discover Weekly playlist as I'm intrigued on what their algorithms recommend for you.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Thanks yet again guys. Always a highlight of the week!

Deesnutz

Thanks again as always guys. A great listen! We are embarking on an extension in a few weeks time and are planning on having a dedicated cinema/media room, hopefully with a projector/screen. As we are on a tight budget, we would like to get all the infrastructure in (power, cabling, lighting etc.) as we may need to add equipment over time. Future subjects i would like covering would be:

1) Considerations for cabling (speaker, HDMI, etc. ) - Should this be done in a certain order? How are they hidden? Lengths and their limitations? Management? (Trunking, ties.)

2) Soundproofing - You have mentioned the use of furnishings and acoustic panels but it would be good to know more about if you are building materials when making a dedicated space; are there methods and materials to consider such as types of plasterboard and insulation?

Any advice on how these can be acheived on a limited budget would also be welcome.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom