Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar Review & Comments

For those who are not bothered about the auto calibration chromecast, the 2020 Q800T can be bought for £450.00

No more soundbars for me in home cinema room. Separates the way to go. It's okay as a short to medium term stop gap solution.

If these soundbars are made bigger with dedicated sub-outs then I will consider buying them.

They are not bad but lack of dynamic range, fidelity and most importantly bass becomes annoying on a long term.

For those who are not bothered about the auto calibration chromecast, the 2020 Q800T can be bought for £450.00
That's a great price for the Q800T, especially if you don't own a compatible Samsung TV and thus can't use the SoundFit auto setup. Samsung has also corrected the issues with multi-channel LPCM on its 2020 soundbars, so unless you want the option of expanding to 5.1.4-channels, you may as well buy the Q800T.

I’m not a fan of wireless subs., and I don’t see any mention of support fir older DTS codecs. A ‘maybe’ for me, at best.

I’m not a fan of wireless subs., and I don’t see any mention of support fir older DTS codecs. A ‘maybe’ for me, at best.
It supports older DTS codecs like DTS and DTS-HD, but these days it's usually DTS-HD MA, and by extension DTS:X.

That's a great price for the Q800T, especially if you don't own a compatible Samsung TV and thus can't use the SoundFit auto setup. Samsung has also corrected the issues with multi-channel LPCM on its 2020 soundbars, so unless you want the option of expanding to 5.1.4-channels, you may as well buy the Q800T.
Buy any TV from Currys with the Q800T, add the promo code code to get £300 off. Cheapest TV is around £150, soundbar is £600 + TV, take off the discount code. making it a total of £450.

Last edited:
There's also a (slim)chance of swa-9500s working with 2020 models, so should be able to get to 5.1.4

Can the new surround speakers for the backsound with upfiring speakers also be matched with the 2020 Q800T ??

Can the new surround speakers for the backsound with upfiring speakers also be matched with the 2020 Q800T ??
I don't know, but I guess it depends on whether the Q800T is capable of decoding 5.1.4, as opposed to 5.1.2 channels. I suspect not.

@Steve Withers, Hi.

I´m Sérgio from Portugal and i´m thinking to buy a soundbar. Do you think that the new Q800A makes up for the difference of 300£ over the Q800t? The sound quality is muche better? At 450£ what soundbar you advise me?

Thanks.

Ticks all my boxes apart from the lack of HDMI ports 😬 would it be so hard to squeeze in a couple more? My GZ950 doesn't support eARC yet it's only a year old so I'm not going to be replacing it any time soon

@Steve Withers, Hi.

I´m Sérgio from Portugal and i´m thinking to buy a soundbar. Do you think that the new Q800A makes up for the difference of 300£ over the Q800t? The sound quality is muche better? At 450£ what soundbar you advise me?

Thanks.
While I haven't directly compared the two, as fas as I can tell they should sound identical because the differences this year aren't related to sound quality.

Buy any TV from Currys with the Q800T, add the promo code code to get £300 off. Cheapest TV is around £150, soundbar is £600 + TV, take off the discount code. making it a total of £450.
This is tempting. For this q800t or the q70? Anyone have any thoughts on either?

This is tempting. For this q800t or the q70? Anyone have any thoughts on either?
[What is the difference between Samsung HW-Q70T and HW-Q800T? £100 price

So similar makes you wonder why the need for these two!

What TV did you use for this review? I can't seem to find it if mentioned, as all 2020 QLED's including my Q95T 55" can't send uncompressed LPCM 5.1 and 7.1 signals to my Q900T Soundbar unless it's connected directly to my soundbars HDMI port, which means I loose 4K 120 and a non-chroma subsampled image.

What TV did you use for this review? I can't seem to find it if mentioned, as all 2020 QLED's including my Q95T 55" can't send uncompressed LPCM 5.1 and 7.1 signals to my Q900T Soundbar unless it's connected directly to my soundbars HDMI port, which means I loose 4K 120 and a non-chroma subsampled image.
It says in the review that I used a 77C9, and for testing I sent 5.1 and 7.1 LPCM directly to the HW-Q800A using the HDMI input.

It says in the review that I used a 77C9, and for testing I sent 5.1 and 7.1 LPCM directly to the HW-Q800A using the HDMI input.
Thanks Steve! Do you have a review on the QN90A or QN95A coming at all? Would love to know if the 2021 QLED's can actually send 5.1 and 7.1 LPCM to a soundbar vs the 2020 QLED's.

Thanks Steve! Do you have a review on the QN90A or QN95A coming at all? Would love to know if the 2021 QLED's can actually send 5.1 and 7.1 LPCM to a soundbar vs the 2020 QLED's.
No I don't, because Phil handles the majority of TV reviews.

I bought the Q70 for £450 and managed to snag the rear surround speakers for £140, all in all I'm v pleased with the audio, big jump over my LGCX speakers but lol@upfiring Atmos speaker... Yeah I'm not hearing anything from those

I bought the Q70 for £450 and managed to snag the rear surround speakers for £140, all in all I'm v pleased with the audio, big jump over my LGCX speakers but lol@upfiring Atmos speaker... Yeah I'm not hearing anything from those
I'm curious Bongo, how do you add rear surrounds? I thought only the q90r and 950 could have rear surrounds? Am I missing a really good trick here?

How on earth is £800 a mid range price? I would really like to know the explanation.
I guess £200 is small change these days..........

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom