Samsung HW-N950 Soundbar Review & Comments

Can anyone help?

I've hooked my xbox one x to the soundbar hdmi 1. Then sound bar to arc hdmi port.

I cant get picture on screen. If I change the output on the soundbar to hdmi 1 I get sound only.

TV Samsung q70 doesn't seem to recognise the xbox.

I can put xbox straight to tv and get sound and picture, but am I right in saying I won't get any atmos effects from the soundbar this way?

Try resetting the Xbox or unplugging the soundbar say for 10 mins then turning it back on .its worth a try . You will only get atmos from the tv if the set can output atmos like the LG C9 for example

It should pass through fine, I would check in the TV settings that hdmi signal plus is turned on for the ARC port, also freesync/ vrr will not work when the Xbox is connected to the bar, though I am not sure if it disables itself.

Tbh with only a dozen Atmos games and upmixing being disabled for none atmos games (this is due to the Xbox sending an Atmos signal with empty channels for none Atmos content) I would be inclined to just connect it to the TV

It should pass through fine, I would check in the TV settings that hdmi signal plus is turned on for the ARC port, also freesync/ vrr will not work when the Xbox is connected to the bar, though I am not sure if it disables itself.

Tbh with only a dozen Atmos games and upmixing being disabled for none atmos games (this is due to the Xbox sending an Atmos signal with empty channels for none Atmos content) I would be inclined to just connect it to the TV

Not seen the settings for the hdmi arc, will have another look.

Can love without the xbox games atmos, but if I use the xbox as a uhd player then I'll miss out.

Atmos through netflix from the tv should still work though shouldn't it?

Not seen the settings for the hdmi arc, will have another look.

Can love without the xbox games atmos, but if I use the xbox as a uhd player then I'll miss out.

Atmos through netflix from the tv should still work though shouldn't it?

If you are using it as a uhd spinner then yep I agree it better to connect via the soundbar. I have the n850, same spec bar, just lacking rears and the one x works fine with my 2017 Samsung q7.

Your Samsung is a 2019 model so Netflix Atmos should work over arc but u will have to enable the setting for Atmos and when you first watch Netflix change the audio settings on the TV to DD+.

Maybe try another cable from the arc port to the soundbar?

Cables I'm using may be 1.4 not 2.0, would this be the issue?
Tried different cables but they are all a good few years old.

Can anyone help?

I've hooked my xbox one x to the soundbar hdmi 1. Then sound bar to arc hdmi port.

I cant get picture on screen. If I change the output on the soundbar to hdmi 1 I get sound only.

TV Samsung q70 doesn't seem to recognise the xbox.

I can put xbox straight to tv and get sound and picture, but am I right in saying I won't get any atmos effects from the soundbar this way?
[/QUOTE I havent got an xbox but plugging it directly into the tv and then connecting the bar to the tv's arc port should work. ensure that you turn on CEC on the tv and anynet+ on the soundbar. I couldn't get sound until I turned Sony sync on. on the tv and anynet+ on the soundbar. once I did that it was fine. also set your tv sound settings to passthrough so that all the audio streams are sent to the bar to decode

Hi all, how have you positioned the sub, at the front to the left, but which way round have you?

I dont think it really matters .the only position I could place mine is just in front of my tv stand with the cloth mesh side up against the wall and it sounds great 6D120C2E-9501-4110-9BEF-EBB61059B5CC.jpeg

So with those lucky 2019 Q90R soundbar owners finally getting the eARC update, and given the apparent hardware similarities with the 2018 N950, anyone holding their breath that we might get something also?

..I know, its Samsung so fat chance but given the whole "eARC update" thing actually started with it being a teased upgrade for the N950...

So with those lucky 2019 Q90R soundbar owners finally getting the eARC update, and given the apparent hardware similarities with the 2018 N950, anyone holding their breath that we might get something also?

..I know, its Samsung so fat chance but given the whole "eARC update" thing actually started with it being a teased upgrade for the N950...
HA!!

Yeah, my thoughts too... one can hope (but not too much!)

No chance, even though the firmware file will be near enough identical and the hardware clearly supports it they won't bother. Such a shame that such a fantastic soundbar can't be updated only 2 years after release.

Even Sony have released eARC updates for their 2018 soundbars...

Last edited:
The lack of support/upgrades means this will be my last ever Samsung purchase.

The lack of support/upgrades means this will be my last ever Samsung purchase.
1000% agree. Sadly, they make the best Atmos Soundbar ATM.

I love my HW 950, i think the surround is exceptional and not just for a soundbar. The only downer is I can't use ATMOS with my Xbox One X as I prefer the console being plugged into the TV directly

Same here, love my N950 no plans to change anytime soon

me to , and love it

The odd sub & rear speaker disconnect aside, it sounds great! Just wish Samsung would up their game in terms of support and updates. Shame to see a mostly great bit of tech marred by a few issues and a manufacturer building more and more of a negative reputation for not giving much of a shizzle once they have your cash...

Yeh still happy with mine apart from the occasional disconnect, no plans to replace anytime soon.

Last edited:
the sub seems the only thing that might have improved on the new one , think it does earc as well ?

Yeah, it got the firmware update this week. Can't see any reason why the very similar n950 shouldn't, except its Samsung 😒

not holding my breath

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom