Samsung HW-N950 Soundbar Review & Comments

I thought I solved my Dolby Atmos issue. Because since the change on my TV settings. When I watch Dolby Atmos content, Dolby Atmos now scrolls past on the display on the sound bar.
Yes you have sorted it mate, everything is working correctly :smashin:

I didn't want other readers to think the N950 had EARC when it does not

just trying to clear up confusion for @Smiler62

Yes you have sorted it mate, everything is working correctly :smashin:

I didn't want other readers to think the N950 had EARC when it does not

just trying to clear up confusion for @Smiler62
Oh i see, my bad. The intent of this thread is to help those who have a N950 (potentially Q90r) and the C9 and were struggling with Dolby Atmos. I've seen numerous threads about that complaint. I'm trying spread what worked for me.

struggling to get any picture passthrough on the N950 to a C9.

With all inputs connected to the TV and 1 cable from the eArc port on the N950 it works. Had a few sound "pips" when watching USB movies and streaming content via the shield.

Tried to connect the shield directly to the soundbar to troubleshoot these "pips" but the TV isn't getting any video signal from the bar. Strange because I could set it up that way with the old plasma. Any settings I need to be doing?

struggling to get any picture passthrough on the N950 to a C9.

With all inputs connected to the TV and 1 cable from the eArc port on the N950 it works. Had a few sound "pips" when watching USB movies and streaming content via the shield.

Tried to connect the shield directly to the soundbar to troubleshoot these "pips" but the TV isn't getting any video signal from the bar. Strange because I could set it up that way with the old plasma. Any settings I need to be doing?
I'm no expert at this, how old is your HDMI cable? Is it rated to handle the bandwidth required

As mentioned, test the connection with a certified HDMI cable. I had plenty of random issues with my hardware only to find out it was the HDMI cables that I had bought and installed in the ceiling! :(
Do not buy non-certified cables, even if they state they are compatible. As in my case.... it ended up in disaster!

I only use certified 2.0 cable. Worth ruling out though. As the tv has eArc ive ordered a 2.1 cable. hopefully that clears it.

I only use certified 2.0 cable. Worth ruling out though. As the tv has eArc ive ordered a 2.1 cable. hopefully that clears it.
The HW-N950 doesnt support eARC so it's probably a long shot that it'll fix your issue. Worth trying like you said though.
How long is your certified 2.0 HDMI cable and length can make a difference sometimes.

2m long cable.

Using the TV netflix/amazon app get no micro sound drops. Shield into TV and out to sound bar micro drops. Hoping TV and soundbar over 2.1 cable will let me finally pass video from the shield to the tv via the bar.

2m long cable.

Using the TV netflix/amazon app get no micro sound drops. Shield into TV and out to sound bar micro drops. Hoping TV and soundbar over 2.1 cable will let me finally pass video from the shield to the tv via the bar.
Let us know your result. I'm curious to know if that'sthe issue

Anyone managed to get an HDMI switch to work with the n950.

I just received this one (xolorspace 23051) from Amazon as I thought I'd seen it recommended somewhere but it doesn't work. AppleTV will only output 720p and there seems to be an HDCP issue with all my other devices. The Panasonic uhd player just outputs a pink screen! Going onto Panasonic dx902b.

I've got an AppleTV 4k, a Panasonic Freeview box, a Panasonic UHD player and the PS4 all of which need to go direct to the soundbar due the dx902s infuriating inability to pass -through multichannel audio properly (excessive audio delay and/or just doesn't work at all).

I've been using a basic hdmi 1.4 bidirectional 2-way switch that works fine but is obviously limited to 1080p so I just run the PS4 and the separate audio-out of the blu ray through that.

Anyone got anything working at all?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

I just received this one (xolorspace 23051) from Amazon as I thought I'd seen it recommended somewhere but it doesn't work. AppleTV will only output 720p and there seems to be an HDCP issue with all my other devices. The Panasonic uhd player just outputs a pink screen! Going onto Panasonic dx902b.

I've got an AppleTV 4k, a Panasonic Freeview box, a Panasonic UHD player and the PS4 all of which need to go direct to the soundbar due the dx902s infuriating inability to pass -through multichannel audio properly (excessive audio delay and/or just doesn't work at all).

I've been using a basic hdmi 1.4 bidirectional 2-way switch that works fine but is obviously limited to 1080p so I just run the PS4 and the separate audio-out of the blu ray through that.

Hi mate a quick scan of the description suggests it's limited to 8bit at 4k with higher framerates (50,60hz). I use a hdfury integral 2 with my n850 but it is probably overkill for your needs, it also only has 2 hdmi inputs

@davejones2

Try with two of these. You will need to manually switch over but simple enough to do as you probably wont be switching to often.

I use one and its gives me DV and DAtmos.
Also these for removing the HDMI switching that the Apple TV 4k has a problem with.

Carl

Hi mate a quick scan of the description suggests it's limited to 8bit at 4k with higher framerates (50,60hz). I use a hdfury integral 2 with my n850 but it is probably overkill for your needs, it also only has 2 hdmi inputs

Thanks for the info. I'd be quite happy with anything on the screen at all to be honest! The HDfury is more than I'm hoping to spend but will bear in mind, thank you.

@davejones2

Try with two of these. You will need to manually switch over but simple enough to do as you probably wont be switching to often.

I use one and its gives me DV and DAtmos.
Also these for removing the HDMI switching that the Apple TV 4k has a problem with.

Carl

Great, thank you. Ordered one to test with my setup. Will report back.

Hoping to keep CEC functionality ideally as the AppleTV works fab with the Panasonic remote via CEC which I much prefer to use.

Have you found the switch doesn't play nice with the AppleTV then?

Thanks for the info. I'd be quite happy with anything on the screen at all to be honest! The HDfury is more than I'm hoping to spend but will bear in mind, thank you.

Yeah it is mate, I only bought it as I needed to add a PJ into the chain.looks like @neuty has provided a more reasonably priced alternative :smashin:

Great, thank you. Ordered one to test with my setup. Will report back.

Hoping to keep CEC functionality ideally as the AppleTV works fab with the Panasonic remote via CEC which I much prefer to use.

Have you found the switch doesn't play nice with the AppleTV then?
These work perfect for me and I have my most used item(Apple TV) in port one of each unit and least used in two. Makes life easier for me.
The Apple TV and Fire stick were clashing with hdmi cec switching. The little dongle adaptor solved this for me brilliantly.

I'm sure it will work for you.

Carl.

I've been using this with my K950 very successfully. All my inputs go through this and 4K, HDR, Atmos etc all seem to be fine.
4K@60Hz HDMI Switch 5x1 Awakelion 5 In 1 Out HDMI Switcher with IR Remote Support HDCP 2.2,UHD,HDR,Full HD/3D https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WV5YJ6H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_JPGxEb83W5EDH

I've been using this with my K950 very successfully. All my inputs go through this and 4K, HDR, Atmos etc all seem to be fine.
4K@60Hz HDMI Switch 5x1 Awakelion 5 In 1 Out HDMI Switcher with IR Remote Support HDCP 2.2,UHD,HDR,Full HD/3D https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WV5YJ6H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_JPGxEb83W5EDH

Thanks. That looks identical to the one I've tried just with a different brand on the front. I think I saw it recommended before but since have seen posts stating that a firmware update has rendered some 5 port switches non functional on the n950.

Hmmm. Not working with any 4k devices thus far for me. Works fine with a 1080p or audio-only source. Tried a few different HDMI cables with the same result. Back to the drawing board!

Hmmm. Not working with any 4k devices thus far for me. Works fine with a 1080p or audio-only source. Tried a few different HDMI cables with the same result. Back to the drawing board!
Whats not working?

The first software update that came out for The N950 stopped my 5 port switch from working .so I bought a couple of techole 2x1 hdmi switches I think they were £9.99 each to try and they worked perfectly giving me 4 hdmi inputs .the only down side is you have to flick the button to switch source

Attachments

• 9A1FE396-3E2E-4BFA-A28F-D0173495CE80.png
    9A1FE396-3E2E-4BFA-A28F-D0173495CE80.png
    907.4 KB · Views: 48
As there won’t be any eArc update I’ll avoid buying any further Samsung Products, their aftersale support for products more than 12 months old is woeful.

Whats not working?

No image on screen.

It's a little odd as everything else seems ok in that the devices even switch on/off using CEC and seem to be responding to remote CEC commands too. The soundbar remains set to the appropriate HDMI input as well rather than switching back to ARC which it usually does when there is no signal. No error message / flickering which normally occurs if there is a handshake issue. Odd.

What TV are you guys using? Perhaps it's a Panasonic thing? I'll them both up direct to the TV tomorrow to see what happens.

No image on screen.

It's a little odd as everything else seems ok in that the devices even switch on/off using CEC and seem to be responding to remote CEC commands too. The soundbar remains set to the appropriate HDMI input as well rather than switching back to ARC which it usually does when there is no signal. No error message / flickering which normally occurs if there is a handshake issue. Odd.

What TV are you guys using? Perhaps it's a Panasonic thing? I'll them both up direct to the TV tomorrow to see what happens.
Very strange how you have this happening.

I have an LG C6 65 OLED tv
Apple TV 4k hdmi 1 in soundar
Fire Stick 4k (using hdmi switch 1) hdmi 2 in soundbar
Panasonic UHD player (using hdmi switch 2) hdmi 2 in soundbar
PS3 into tv.

I use Belkin hdmi cables.

Have you tried connecting and manually switching? I say this incase the HDMI signal takes a short time to get through. Longshot I know.

Carl

Very strange how you have this happening.

I have an LG C6 65 OLED tv
Apple TV 4k hdmi 1 in soundar
Fire Stick 4k (using hdmi switch 1) hdmi 2 in soundbar
Panasonic UHD player (using hdmi switch 2) hdmi 2 in soundbar
PS3 into tv.

I use Belkin hdmi cables.

Have you tried connecting and manually switching? I say this incase the HDMI signal takes a short time to get through. Longshot I know.

Carl

Thanks for that info.

Yep tried turning off CEC completely and manually switching, same result.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom