Samsung HW-N950 Soundbar Review & Comments

Have you connected your Apple TV and PS4 to the HDMI with good quality HDMI 2 cables of less than 2m in length, likewise from the soundbar to the ARC output of the Samsung TV. Have you enabled CEC on the TV and Apple TV, the later would not be possible of course if you don’t have a picture of course. Failing that have you tried different HDMI cables

Hi and thank you for the reply. Apple TV is connected with this cable. I have no reason to think it's faulty as this works flawlessly connected directly to the TV (chroma subsampling 4:2:2). The soundbar is connected to the TV with the cable supplied in the box, although I have already ordered 2 more Belkin HQ cables (just in case). CEC is ON, on TV and ATV and anynet+ ON in soundbar. However I made this work the very first time I connected everything but it doesn't work anymore. I still haven't upgraded to the latest version of the firmware as many users have reported to make the device worse. What firmware version do you guys have?

Hi and thank you for the reply. Apple TV is connected with this cable. I have no reason to think it's faulty as this works flawlessly connected directly to the TV (chroma subsampling 4:2:2). The soundbar is connected to the TV with the cable supplied in the box, although I have already ordered 2 more Belkin HQ cables (just in case). CEC is ON, on TV and ATV and anynet+ ON in soundbar. However I made this work the very first time I connected everything but it doesn't work anymore. I still haven't upgraded to the latest version of the firmware as many users have reported to make the device worse. What firmware version do you guys have?

Ok, so I figured out a way to make it work:

1. Power on Apple TV (or whatever device)
2. Select the HDMI source on soundbar
3. Power off soundbar
4. Unplug soundbar power cable (wait 20-30 secs)
5. Plug the cable back on
6. Power on soundbar
7. Tadaaaaa... Image magically comes on.

You just have to do this everytime you change the source. I just hope they fix this f**** piece of harware s**** soon.

That’s the same for the Xbox one x when playing 4k games / Netflix no signal etc you have to power the soundbar off scroll through the sources several times and then it eventually works.

Really bad from Samsung charging £1500 for a sound bar not fit for purpose and no fix yet ... if they every fix it.

Let’s hope it’s not a repeat of the K950 that’s never got the issues fixed.

Is this model better than sib evo Dolby atmos 5.1.2?? Will this 7.1.4 channel make much difference than sib 5.1.2?

What's the best way to enable 'voice' or 'night mode'. I usually rely on these two modes on a weekly basis.

What's the best way to enable 'voice' or 'night mode'. I usually rely on these two modes on a weekly basis.
Don’t think it has one. Turn it down may be the only choice. Others may correct me.

I've looked into it again following your comments. I have an android phone with 1.5GB of memory. When I search on smartthings play store only comes up with 'smartthings classic' . Smartthings is not compatible with my phone - apparently because it will only run on a phone with 2GB of memory or more. Smartthings classic requires you to have a Samsung hub, smartthings doesn't. Crazy or what !!
Thanks for this info, looks like i have the same issue.
Will have to give the wife's iphone a go .

Today was my first day with this bar. I have to play with it some more and spend more time with it however. I'm very concerned about the possibility that I have a bad sub because I have it turned up to +6 and it doesn't sound impressive whatsoever. I'm seeing reviews saying that it shakes furniture. Not my experience so far. I can hear the sub but not by much. The sound stage to the bar is wide and clear. The rears seem to be more subtle to my observation.... but effective. I'm left scratching my head about this sub. It isn't performing like the reviews indicate. In fact my Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-SB23W which I replaced with this soundbar has a smaller sub and yet it performs better. I'm going to throw more at it soon and see if this isn't all in my head.

Hi, i have the same problem, can't even hear the sub even on +6 something is wrong, did you manage to solve the problem, i already have a ticket in with samsung to see what is up with no bass.

Hi, i have the same problem, can't even hear the sub even on +6 something is wrong, did you manage to solve the problem, i already have a ticket in with samsung to see what is up with no bass.
In my opinion the baas performance is down to source , throw on blade runner 2049 or rampage and expect to have a bust up with your neighbours.
I think this bar has a very balance sound and its performance is totally source dependent which IMO is a positive

In my opinion the baas performance is down to source , throw on blade runner 2049 or rampage and expect to have a bust up with your neighbours.
I think this bar has a very balance sound and its performance is totally source dependent which IMO is a positive

when playing some music though Spotify it sounds very lack of bass, not impressed with this sound bar if this is the given results for the sub, the price tag i want better and why not:(:(:(

A subwoofer should be felt not heard; if you can hear it then the volume is set way to high, set it to the recommended settings and try music or a film to see if you can hear it, if you can turn it down, if not then turn it off to see if the bass disappears, (You should perceive something is missing if the sub is set up correctly) if not, make sure it is connected to the soundbar (Wireless connections can drop) and if it is then it may be a faulty subwoofer. (A long shot, but make sure power is going to the sub and the power cable has not been disturbed)

Bill

Hi Samsung Experts,

Is there really a big difference in sound quality between the K950 and N950?

I was toying with the idea upgrading from the K950, but not quite sure...

The K950 sounds pretty nice and warm. It's a pleasure to listen, not fatiguing at all, but i do think the bass is quite boomy no matter where i place the sub or what setting i use. But it's okay i think.

I also noticed that if i use standard mode with multi channel movie sound tracks the centre channel is very muffled. It's very hard to understand dialogs. Thought this issue goes away if i turn "Surround Sound On". That also increase the volume level almost 50%.

Interestingly the new LG SK10Y has the same problem with the centre channel as per people comments and feedback over the internet. That's why i didn't want to go for LG...

So what's the story with the N950?
Does that have muffled centre channel and different sound signature? :)

Right I found out what the problem was on my setup, done all the resetting back to default repaired all the rears and sub no problem, solid blue light, which was on anyway just no sub sound, I thought I'll go into Samsung smart things app on android, so buggy this app I dunno how it even got released anyway was having conflicts with Bluetooth settings for the soundbar, force stop the app uninstall updates then reapply updates, reboot phone pair up new soundbar, Bluetooth and WiFi then boom the sub came to life, hope this helps if you have the same problem.

Hi, I have just bought the n950 and would like to know how you set the channels with an spl meter. Sorry if this has been mentioned somewhere before but I'm a bit of a noob to this.
You'll need 5.1.4 test tones, which is the tricky bit. Hopefully someone on here can point you in the right direction.

Does anyone have this with a Shield Nvidia 4k box?

Am I correct in thinking that I can connect a Shield box direct to the HDMI on the soundbar, then have it play 7.1 TruHD (Atmos) through a USB drive plugged into the Shield? Seems like a simple way of playing media and not having to use the Apple TV etc? Have I got this right?
I dont have either but I cant see why this wouldnt work.

Has anyone else had problems getting the soundbar to connect when turning it on or changing source. I keep getting no signal and after messing around turning on/off a few times it would eventually appear.

A heads up
There is £100 cash back via Samsung at the moment. I also got 10% off via a voucher from RS so £100 cb and £150 off therefore paid £1250. The rear screw size is 1/4 inch
Loving the bar.
John
Was this a personalised voucher code? If not would you mind sharing?

Has anyone else had problems getting the soundbar to connect when turning it on or changing source. I keep getting no signal and after messing around turning on/off a few times it would eventually appear.

Yes after Samsung updated the firmeware in late August i had huge issues going between sources. I was powering off morning, noon and night. I found a fix that works for me, maybe once or twice a month I may have to turn on/off but generally when i do this all works fine.

On my LG tv I have the HDMI CEC On, but i have auto power Off.
On my Sky Q I have HDMI control set to Off.
When powering on, I turn on the TV and then the Soundbar. After this I then take the Sky Q off standby to power on.
When I'm finished watching Tv I put Sky Q to standby. I then put Tv to standby and then power off the Soundbar with the remote.

I know I should just be hitting one button to power on everything but look this works and Im not powering off all the time.

Depending what set up you have or what you have going into the soundbar all depends. Personally i have Sky Q and UHD player going into HDMI 1/2 with arc to LG Oled 55b7V

Hope this helps. Let me know how you get on.

Hello everyone.
New to this so please bare with me. I’m looking for some advice but allow me to give you some information about my set up first.

I’ve never had an audio system as it’s always been a touch to technical for me, now with the introduction of the ‘out of the box’ setups I’m much more inclined.
I currently have a 55” Samsung K7000, which I use to view the on board Netflix and Amazon apps. I also have an Nvidia shield linked up and Virgin TiVo 6.

I don’t believe Samsung TV’s Netflix app currently supports Atmos, is this correct?

With my current set up am I likely to experience any benefits straight away or will I need to purchase a blu ray UHD player/Apple TV 4K also?

I have more questions but that’s probably enough to begin with!

Hello everyone.
New to this so please bare with me. I’m looking for some advice but allow me to give you some information about my set up first.

I’ve never had an audio system as it’s always been a touch to technical for me, now with the introduction of the ‘out of the box’ setups I’m much more inclined.
I currently have a 55” Samsung K7000, which I use to view the on board Netflix and Amazon apps. I also have an Nvidia shield linked up and Virgin TiVo 6.

I don’t believe Samsung TV’s Netflix app currently supports Atmos, is this correct?

With my current set up am I likely to experience any benefits straight away or will I need to purchase a blu ray UHD player/Apple TV 4K also?

I have more questions but that’s probably enough to begin with!

You’re right, Samsung TVs can’t do Atmos on Netflix Dolby Atmos on Netflix

Your best bet would be to purchase an Apple TV 4K for Netflix specifically.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom