Samsung HW-N950 Soundbar Review & Comments

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Hi, I have just bought the n950 and would like to know how you set the channels with an spl meter. Sorry if this has been mentioned somewhere before but I'm a bit of a noob to this.
You'll need 5.1.4 test tones, which is the tricky bit. Hopefully someone on here can point you in the right direction.

damianmcr

Does anyone have this with a Shield Nvidia 4k box?

Am I correct in thinking that I can connect a Shield box direct to the HDMI on the soundbar, then have it play 7.1 TruHD (Atmos) through a USB drive plugged into the Shield? Seems like a simple way of playing media and not having to use the Apple TV etc? Have I got this right?
I dont have either but I cant see why this wouldnt work.

Ormy11

Novice Member
Has anyone else had problems getting the soundbar to connect when turning it on or changing source. I keep getting no signal and after messing around turning on/off a few times it would eventually appear.

chinedu40

Novice Member
A heads up
There is £100 cash back via Samsung at the moment. I also got 10% off via a voucher from RS so £100 cb and £150 off therefore paid £1250. The rear screw size is 1/4 inch
Loving the bar.
John
Was this a personalised voucher code? If not would you mind sharing?

Podgerr

Has anyone else had problems getting the soundbar to connect when turning it on or changing source. I keep getting no signal and after messing around turning on/off a few times it would eventually appear.
Yes after Samsung updated the firmeware in late August i had huge issues going between sources. I was powering off morning, noon and night. I found a fix that works for me, maybe once or twice a month I may have to turn on/off but generally when i do this all works fine.

On my LG tv I have the HDMI CEC On, but i have auto power Off.
On my Sky Q I have HDMI control set to Off.
When powering on, I turn on the TV and then the Soundbar. After this I then take the Sky Q off standby to power on.
When I'm finished watching Tv I put Sky Q to standby. I then put Tv to standby and then power off the Soundbar with the remote.

I know I should just be hitting one button to power on everything but look this works and Im not powering off all the time.

Depending what set up you have or what you have going into the soundbar all depends. Personally i have Sky Q and UHD player going into HDMI 1/2 with arc to LG Oled 55b7V

Hope this helps. Let me know how you get on.

Nels5320

Novice Member
Hello everyone.
New to this so please bare with me. I’m looking for some advice but allow me to give you some information about my set up first.

I’ve never had an audio system as it’s always been a touch to technical for me, now with the introduction of the ‘out of the box’ setups I’m much more inclined.
I currently have a 55” Samsung K7000, which I use to view the on board Netflix and Amazon apps. I also have an Nvidia shield linked up and Virgin TiVo 6.

I don’t believe Samsung TV’s Netflix app currently supports Atmos, is this correct?

With my current set up am I likely to experience any benefits straight away or will I need to purchase a blu ray UHD player/Apple TV 4K also?

I have more questions but that’s probably enough to begin with!

chinedu40

Novice Member
Hello everyone.
New to this so please bare with me. I’m looking for some advice but allow me to give you some information about my set up first.

I’ve never had an audio system as it’s always been a touch to technical for me, now with the introduction of the ‘out of the box’ setups I’m much more inclined.
I currently have a 55” Samsung K7000, which I use to view the on board Netflix and Amazon apps. I also have an Nvidia shield linked up and Virgin TiVo 6.

I don’t believe Samsung TV’s Netflix app currently supports Atmos, is this correct?

With my current set up am I likely to experience any benefits straight away or will I need to purchase a blu ray UHD player/Apple TV 4K also?

I have more questions but that’s probably enough to begin with!
You’re right, Samsung TVs can’t do Atmos on Netflix Dolby Atmos on Netflix

Your best bet would be to purchase an Apple TV 4K for Netflix specifically.

johnelf

Standard Member
You’re right, Samsung TVs can’t do Atmos on Netflix Dolby Atmos on Netflix

Your best bet would be to purchase an Apple TV 4K for Netflix specifically.
I totally concour with this.
You will also have the advantage of iTunes cheap movies many of which are 4K HDR with Atmos, to compliment your bar.
John

Nels5320

Novice Member
Thanks both.
Do you know in the meantime with the Samsung’s Netflix and Amazon apps would I still experience the surround sound; the 7.1, just not the .4?

samwj123

Novice Member
Got mine at the weekend, very happy so far. Some handshake issues that are fixed by a reboot but hopefully a more permanent fix is on the way.

If anyone is looking for suitable brackets for the rears I found the Monitor Audio MASM to be perfect :)

antsims

Got mine at the weekend, very happy so far. Some handshake issues that are fixed by a reboot but hopefully a more permanent fix is on the way.

If anyone is looking for suitable brackets for the rears I found the Monitor Audio MASM to be perfect :)
Don’t hold your breath for updates from Samsung.

Swizz

Is now offically an owner of the N950. Good to be a part of the club. :D

Now - it's just a matter of setting everything up straight after work tonight.

Ormy11

Novice Member
You'll need 5.1.4 test tones, which is the tricky bit. Hopefully someone on here can point you in the right direction.
I have manged to source a dolby demo disc with the test tones on it. Next question is how to use an spl meter to get the correct balance.?

Steve Withers

Reviewer
I have manged to source a dolby demo disc with the test tones on it. Next question is how to use an spl meter to get the correct balance.?
All you need to do is measure the test tone for left and right, and the set the levels for all the other channels to the same volume, then you'll have a balanced system.

anabolism

Novice Member
Hi, i have the same problem, can't even hear the sub even on +6 something is wrong, did you manage to solve the problem, i already have a ticket in with samsung to see what is up with no bass.
I finally decided to venture into the world of AV receivers and speakers. For the cost of this bar one can be well on their way to a much better set-up. Soundbars have their place but I want better quality and I'm done with them for now.

Smiler62

I finally decided to venture into the world of AV receivers and speakers. For the cost of this bar one can be well on their way to a much better set-up. Soundbars have their place but I want better quality and I'm done with them for now.
Most of us would want to do the same but either don’t have room for the receiver, speakers and wives or partners who don’t want cables all over the place .the N950 is an amazing piece of kit with minimal hassle (unless you get an update from Samsung that is)

Swizz

Two movies in..And I am already very pleased with my purchase. [Yes! we have a winner!]

I've heard so many people saying that they have had connectivity issues with their speakers. Is this due to the current Update? I'm a little weary about applying the update

Also what new benefits do you gain with the Update?

One other question: Is there any way of showing DTS/True-HD/Atmos, etc..When playing a movie, on the far right of the display? Or at least show some type of acknowledgement?

Sasi77

Novice Member
Hi Samsung HW N950 owners,
Can anyone tell me do they provide wall mounts for the rear speakers too ?or we have to buy on our own.
What about the connectivity between main bar and rear are they working fine?

lukather101

Nels5320

Novice Member
Afternoon all,

Can anyone advise me please, I’ve currently got a Samsung KS7000 series and hoping to but this bar. I appreciate the Netflix and Amazon TV apps do not support Dolby Atmos currently and I will need to buy Apple TV for this.
Do you know is it possible to experience any form of surround sound from the tv apps in the mean time?

RiveZ

Novice Member
Afternoon all,

Can anyone advise me please, I’ve currently got a Samsung KS7000 series and hoping to but this bar. I appreciate the Netflix and Amazon TV apps do not support Dolby Atmos currently and I will need to buy Apple TV for this.
Do you know is it possible to experience any form of surround sound from the tv apps in the mean time?
I own the KS8000. You can try downloading mkv files and playing through an usb drive or a NAS (there's an app from Synology).

Sasi77

Novice Member
Can anyone say which one is better of these ?
Samsung HW N950 vs Sony HT ST5000 vs Focal Sib Evo 5.1.2

Rizvan

Just about to order my Samsung HW-N950 SoundBar folks..... exciting times a head.... :D

Podgerr

Just about to order my Samsung HW-N950 SoundBar folks..... exciting times a head.... :D
You won't regret it! how much did you pay? Interested to see if its dropped in price since it was launched

Trending threads

Top Bottom