Samsung HW-N950 Soundbar Review & Comments

Rizvan

Ordered today although delayed the delivery as my room isn’t built yet.
Managed to bag it for £1200 but it was down to buying other items too :D

james03

I was looking at buying this but reading the thread and discovering multiple examples of connection issues has got me quite worried.

I have a Yamaha 4300 connected upto an LGE7 tv and oppo 4k blu Ray player. The Yamaha has connectivity issues of its own and hdmi-cec can be an absolute nightmare.

It sounds to me like Samsung have done what many manufactures do these days and let their customers do the system integration testing. Also seems that they can’t be bothered to test any firmware updates and i’d now be wary of auto updating especially if one can get their system to work.

Are there many people who have bought one and had a plain sailing happy experience ? Curious as it seems like most people have found issues of some sort

Podgerr

I was looking at buying this but reading the thread and discovering multiple examples of connection issues has got me quite worried.

I have a Yamaha 4300 connected upto an LGE7 tv and oppo 4k blu Ray player. The Yamaha has connectivity issues of its own and hdmi-cec can be an absolute nightmare.

It sounds to me like Samsung have done what many manufactures do these days and let their customers do the system integration testing. Also seems that they can’t be bothered to test any firmware updates and i’d now be wary of auto updating especially if one can get their system to work.

Are there many people who have bought one and had a plain sailing happy experience ? Curious as it seems like most people have found issues of some sort
My only connectivity issue has been connecting to my Sky Q box, but it seems that may well be an actual Sky issue and not Samsung.

I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognis... - Sky Community

I've generally had no connectivity issue connecting to my 4k player. Id highly recommend the soundbar

MrT1

Novice Member
Thx for the thorough review.

I would note you could not get Atmos signal to the soundbar from the LG tv.
I have a lg77w8 and plan to purchase the Samsung N950 .
From your comments how did you connect to get the Atmos to function?
Where your devices connected to the sound then via arc to the tv? My preference is to connect devices to the tv soundbar then have only one arc connection going to the Samsung soundbar. Would that work?

james03

Where your devices connected to the sound then via arc to the tv? My preference is to connect devices to the tv soundbar then have only one arc connection going to the Samsung soundbar. Would that work?
There’s a fix in this thread for that , somewhere or maybe it’s just another random cec thing. I can only speak from my experiences with my Yamaha soundbar and this whole connectivity issue isn’t an exact science. On occasion i’ve lost connection, tried numerous things, then swopped an hdmi cable and its worked again. I have an lge7 oled and for whatever reason(suspect firmware update ) my oppo 4k player started showing a vertical band on uhd disks. The oppo was connected straight to the soundbar (preferred solution always ) but now it’s connected to the TV and working fine without banding and I have one cable running from the soundbar to the tv now.
The upshot is though that I don’t have any indication that dts-hd 7.1 etc is actually working now as the soundbar isn’t getting the signal direct from the blu Ray player and relying on pass through from the tv.

It’s a source of frustration and while it sounds okay i’m not totally convinced hence that I would always look to plug the sources straight into the soundbar. Puzzled why this Samsung has only 2 hdmi connectors though, Yamaha has 4.

Steve Withers

Reviewer

For ARC you simply connect the soundbar's HDMI out to the HDMI ARC input on the TV and select ARC in the TV's menu. My C8 sent Atmos to the LG SK10Y and Sony HT-FZ9 with no issues at all, but I just couldn't get it to work with the N950 or N850.

MrT1

Novice Member
There’s a fix in this thread for that , somewhere or maybe it’s just another random cec thing. I can only speak from my experiences with my Yamaha soundbar and this whole connectivity issue isn’t an exact science. On occasion i’ve lost connection, tried numerous things, then swopped an hdmi cable and its worked again. I have an lge7 oled and for whatever reason(suspect firmware update ) my oppo 4k player started showing a vertical band on uhd disks. The oppo was connected straight to the soundbar (preferred solution always ) but now it’s connected to the TV and working fine without banding and I have one cable running from the soundbar to the tv now.
The upshot is though that I don’t have any indication that dts-hd 7.1 etc is actually working now as the soundbar isn’t getting the signal direct from the blu Ray player and relying on pass through from the tv.

It’s a source of frustration and while it sounds okay i’m not totally convinced hence that I would always look to plug the sources straight into the soundbar. Puzzled why this Samsung has only 2 hdmi connectors though, Yamaha has 4.
Thx much for your input.

For ARC you simply connect the soundbar's HDMI out to the HDMI ARC input on the TV and select ARC in the TV's menu. My C8 sent Atmos to the LG SK10Y and Sony HT-FZ9 with no issues at all, but I just couldn't get it to work with the N950 or N850.
Thanks to you both !

Due to notes from you gents, perhaps doing the following connections may work for me:

Connect my AppleTV ( which is connected via fibre optic cable for band width streaming) to the Samsung soundbar ( this provides my Dolby Vision & Atmos streams ) and connect arc-out from Samsung soundbar to the arc-in on the LG soundbar.

I don’t have a player yet so that’s not an issue.

My tv signal can then be connected to either Soundbar ( probably leave it connected to the LG sound-bar)

Is there an indication or (how) can I be assured I’m getting both Dolby’s and DTS-X ?

Bluecube

Has anyone managed to hook up their PC to this soundbar and output Atmos? I can see the Atmos option in the Windows Control Panel but when I select it, I’m told it’s not supported.

Felcar

Novice Member
Has anyone managed to hook up their PC to this soundbar and output Atmos? I can see the Atmos option in the Windows Control Panel but when I select it, I’m told it’s not supported.
My HW-N950 output Atmos when connected to my PC (i use MPHC), i don't need to use the Atmos option in the control panel.

However, the subwoofer doesn't output sound unless i use a 5.1 (DTS) or 7.1 (Atmos) source, so no subwoofer with PC games or 2.0 sources ... A real deal breaker.

MrT1

Novice Member
Thx Steve
I’m still in the shopping mode....viewing , listening, and questioning. Another curve is the comparison between the N950 and Creative X-FI ?
Have you any guidance on this?

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Thx Steve
I’m still in the shopping mode....viewing , listening, and questioning. Another curve is the comparison between the N950 and Creative X-FI ?
Have you any guidance on this?
Sorry, I haven't heard the Creative.

Rizvan

As my window still hasn't turned up for the room conversion, I have had to delay the delivery of my Samsung HW-N950 :(

I was at my local Curry's store yesterday buying some iPad's and they had the Samsung HW-N850 on display, needless to say I thought I would give it a good test.....
Oh my gosh, I was blown away by the quality of the sound and the Atmos surround effects. I really didn't expect a soundbar to give me a grin ear to ear. It was beyond my exceptions.
It was running the normal Atmos demo and was in not ideal showroom conditions but the way these latest Atmos soundbars pump out the sound is incredible.. it just re-confirms my choice that the Samsung HW-N950 can and will replace a conventional a/v + speaker setup for me.

Can't wait! :D

dts

As my window still hasn't turned up for the room conversion, I have had to delay the delivery of my Samsung HW-N950 :(

I was at my local Curry's store yesterday buying some iPad's and they had the Samsung HW-N850 on display, needless to say I thought I would give it a good test.....
Oh my gosh, I was blown away by the quality of the sound and the Atmos surround effects. I really didn't expect a soundbar to give me a grin ear to ear. It was beyond my exceptions.
It was running the normal Atmos demo and was in not ideal showroom conditions but the way these latest Atmos soundbars pump out the sound is incredible.. it just re-confirms my choice that the Samsung HW-N950 can and will replace a conventional a/v + speaker setup for me.

Can't wait! :D
I thought exactly the same when I heard and played with the Samsung Hkw950 I was blown away with what I was hearing... Curry's have big warehouse like stores and this had no problem filling with sound... I brought it last new years eve day when it went on sale for £999.00 a bargain, sold my Yamaha RX-V679 av amp and kef eggs so ended up costing me £499.00 wifey treated my to it in the end... As having an av atmos set up was a no go with the amount of speakers I wanted... And the cost... I still love the older model.

Rizvan

I wen't to Currys again yesterday to buy another iPad and had another play with the HW-N850...... its amazingly good...... have read the AVF 10/10 review for the N950.
I knew it was going to be good but it's actually better than I was expecting... miles better in fact. :D

Last edited:

JustinLaw

Novice Member
Theres a new update.
ver 1005.0
Released today on nov 30. Anyone try it yet. Will this fix some of the issues? Anyone have a change log?

Foremost

Novice Member
My N950 turns itself off every time the aTV 4K goes into the screensaver mode - any way to fix that?

The soundbar is connected to the TV's (Samsung Q9FN) ARC port with an HDMI 2.0 cable. aTV is connected to the One Connect box's HDMI1 port, so it's not plugged into the soundbar's own HDMI port.

redkrptonite

Standard Member
Oh good, do you know if the subwoofer is improved when connected to a computer ? I barely hear it ... I'm still in 1003 because some people reported no change with the 1005.
I’m not sure. I don’t have a pc connected to mine. There’s been another update. 1005.1 is the latest. Other users have reported better bass on consoles with this update.

reddeatth

Novice Member
Hi, I have a problem with connecting the soundbar with the Xbox One X console. Due to the fact that my OLEDb655 telescope does not have Dolby Atmos support I bought consoles as a Blu-Ray player. I have such connection: Xbox I have connected to the soundbar: HDMI OUT- HDMI 1 and with HDMI ARC to HDMI TV ARC. I have the Dolby Akcess application installed, and I have settings in the console: HDMI: bitstream, Optical cable OF and I can not set Dolby Atmos HMDI because the error pops up: 0x80bd0009. I have a question for you, what should I do to solve this problem? will this configuration work for me so that I can get Dolby Atmos on Xbox, do I have to buy a player UHD blu-ray uhd ?

Johnston81

Novice Member
Giving this bar serious consideration over a denon receiver with focal sib evo 5.1.2 which I can get for the same price.

Question is has anyone ordered from the electronics emporium before?
They have it £1499 down to £1289.24. Then an extra 20% off which brings it down to £1031.31. Is this too good to be true?

Last edited:

dts

It's come down to £1349. At curry's!! I'm really tempted at this price... Is there a big difference between this and the hkw950? I'm happy really happy with this current soundbar that I have and its less then a year old when I brought it.

Attachments

Trending threads

Latest news

T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku Premiere streaming device with 4K HDR hits UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published