Samsung HW-N950 discussion/owners thread

Agreed
I returned mine to Richersounds (super smooth return).
If you liked the K950 minus the inconsistent wireless connection I think you'd be very happy with the N950 (I had both).
To me the vocals on the N950 are much better than the K950 & in nearly 2 weeks I had no speaker or sub dropouts.
Did you return it just for the inconsistent wireless connection .when you returned it to richer sounds did they deduct 15% ?

I love mine. Not updated yet, thank goodness by the sounds of it, as I can’t get the SmartThings app to work. Could be because I’m on iOS 12 beta.

Is there anyway to turn up left and right speakers? Went through the settings and everything came up except left and right.

I had the k950 and could only really hear surrounds when Atmos was playing. Now I can hear them for non Atmos material as well. I am having issues with Sky Q not coming up straightaway through the bar. I have to turn it back off, then on and keep selecting input hdmi 2 until it displays. Not a biggie but it annoys my other half, who really doesn’t understand technology like I do and just moans that it’s not right and it should work. I agree, but I don’t know how else to get it to work first time. Didn’t have this issue with k950 and I’ve got the same setup.
The rear speakers can’t be turned up individually only as a pair. Have you tried a different hdmi cable for skyQ it’s worth a try

Did you return it just for the inconsistent wireless connection .when you returned it to richer sounds did they deduct 15% ?

Hi are you talking about the K950? The N950 had no wireless issues.
The K950 was from Currys so no deduction.
The N950 was not good enough from my £500 soundbar setup & richersounds did not deduct anything. I have spent a ton of money with them so not sure if that lead to special treatment

Hope that helps

The rear speakers can’t be turned up individually only as a pair. Have you tried a different hdmi cable for skyQ it’s worth a try
I’m talking about front left and right. Noticed from the manual they can’t be changed.

I have a KS series Samsung TV and the new n950. When I play Sky Q with both the bar and TV speakers on I get an echo effect through the bar. When I turn off the bar the TV speakers sound normal. THe echo comes through the bar.
My connections go through the Samsung i connect box with Oppo 203 into HDMI 1 on bar and Sky into HDMI 2 on bar and ARC out from bar to ARC in on i connect .The cable to the TV is a dedicated Samsung iconnect cable from box to back of TV. Any ideas what is causing it?

It’s normally the tv causing the echo. Can’t you just turn the tv down or use the option to output via soundbar only? Why would you need both?

I have a KS series Samsung TV and the new n950. When I play Sky Q with both the bar and TV speakers on I get an echo effect through the bar. When I turn off the bar the TV speakers sound normal. THe echo comes through the bar.
My connections go through the Samsung i connect box with Oppo 203 into HDMI 1 on bar and Sky into HDMI 2 on bar and ARC out from bar to ARC in on i connect .The cable to the TV is a dedicated Samsung iconnect cable from box to back of TV. Any ideas what is causing it?

Why would you listen to the tv speakers when the bar is on?

It echoes when the TV speakers are turned off too or minimum volume of 0

It echoes when the TV speakers are turned off too or minimum volume of 0
Sounds like it’s broken to me then sorry. I don’t get any echos on mine!

I’ve just called Netflix about the Atmos issue. He asked me to change my settings online to output highest quality instead of auto Howe this takes about 8 hours of so to work and be applied to all devices. So will need to wait until tomorrow to see if I can get it to work. Also changing my arc cable from an Amazon basics to a certified premium cable to see if that helps. Still getting Atmos from Amazon so that’s good.

Also Atmos from Netflix on the Apple TV 4K has been announced and I have that as well so should be ok.

Could also try removing oppo to see if that helps?

My tech knowledge is limited, so please forgive me if this is a silly question. I have a LG OLED B6 TV that does not support Dolby atmos and recently purchased a Samsung HW-N950 soundbar. The soundbar is hooked up to the TV via HDMI-ARC. Unfortunately, the soundbar only has 2 HDMI inputs and I was hoping to purchase a HDMI switch to hook up multiple HDMI devices (Nvidia shield, Xbox one, Apple TV) to the soundbar so I am able to hear Dolby Atmos. Is there an HDMI switch out there that can do this?

My tech knowledge is limited, so please forgive me if this is a silly question. I have a LG OLED B6 TV that does not support Dolby atmos and recently purchased a Samsung HW-N950 soundbar. The soundbar is hooked up to the TV via HDMI-ARC. Unfortunately, the soundbar only has 2 HDMI inputs and I was hoping to purchase a HDMI switch to hook up multiple HDMI devices (Nvidia shield, Xbox one, Apple TV) to the soundbar so I am able to hear Dolby Atmos. Is there an HDMI switch out there that can do this?
I was using a 5port hdmi switch which was working flawlessly up until the firmware update which caused black screens and loss of uhd on skyQ.so if you haven’t updated the N950 and don’t intend to it shouldn’t be a problem. I have 4 devices I needed to connect (skyQ,BT 4k ,Xbox one x &himedia box ) all which work perfectly if connected individuals to the soundbar. So I bought a couple of Techole HDMI Splitters from Amazon and so far so good. The 5 port hdmi switch I was using was a Smartoo 23051 5 port switch also from amazon. Hope this helps

I’m having sync issues with Sky Q. Put through my LG tv through ARC it’s out of sync. If I put through the soundbar it’s fine. However through the soundbar is causing my husband issues with trying to get it to work first time (it just doesn’t) so I have to put it through the TV for the sake of our marriage lol. Is anyone else having this issue if using arc for Sky q?

EDIT: Put it back as it was. Couldn’t live with lip sync. Rather a divorce . He also said he’s rather play around with the bar than live with sync issues. Wonder if this is a Sky Q, Samsung or LG (my tv) issue?

Last edited:
Antsims-I don’t know if this will help but it’s worth a try ?. Are your hdmi cables from the skyQ box and to arc of different makes and quality maybe keeping them the same . Are you using hdmi/cec on your skyQ box if so try turning it off . also it’s a long shot see if you skyQ is on eco mode try setting it to active . Fingers crossed . I use arc on my LG tv but have hdmi control switched off on my skyQ

@antsims - with lip sync issues via arc, you can try correcting that or setting audio delay in the tv’s audio setting or you can also set the delay at the soundbar itself. Hopefully either setting or combination of both can correct the problem.

I’m having sync issues with Sky Q. Put through my LG tv through ARC it’s out of sync. If I put through the soundbar it’s fine. However through the soundbar is causing my husband issues with trying to get it to work first time (it just doesn’t) so I have to put it through the TV for the sake of our marriage lol. Is anyone else having this issue if using arc for Sky q?

EDIT: Put it back as it was. Couldn’t live with lip sync. Rather a divorce . He also said he’s rather play around with the bar than live with sync issues. Wonder if this is a Sky Q, Samsung or LG (my tv) issue?
its the LG, check out the LG C8 thread (which i have) there is a thread with hundreds of posts, and apparently it goes back throug hthe 7 and 6 series.

Basically the LG cant handle any DD signal via arc without lip sync issues. If you change your sky audio to stereo instead of DD it will be fine .

@antsims - with lip sync issues via arc, you can try correcting that or setting audio delay in the tv’s audio setting or you can also set the delay at the soundbar itself. Hopefully either setting or combination of both can correct the problem.
No because it will be the opposite way round, IE the LG shows the movement before the sound, there is no way to move the sound forward :(

Check out the LG thread there is a whole thread on the lip sync issues and it goes back through the old generations. Workaround is to turn off DD in sky (or any device) and suffer with stereo, OR just plug directly in the soundbar and dont let the LG handle the DD

No because it will be the opposite way round, IE the LG shows the movement before the sound, there is no way to move the sound forward :(

Check out the LG thread there is a whole thread on the lip sync issues and it goes back through the old generations. Workaround is to turn off DD in sky (or any device) and suffer with stereo, OR just plug directly in the soundbar and dont let the LG handle the DD

That’s what I’ve done. Put it back in soundbar. Not going to settle for stereo as the whole point of sky q uhd is sound. Not having lip sync issues with Amazon atmos through arc though. In perfect sync.

I wish someone could help me with Netflix atmos though through arc as I just cannot get it to work. It’s showing as atmos on the programme title page so it recognises that both the LG tv and soundbar is capable of it but it just won’t register on the soundbar. I’ve even just replaced the arc cable with a brand new Omars certified premium cable and still doesn’t work.

I did get it to work just once but I don’t know what I did. I was playing around with the Cec off and back on again and it worked. So I know it can do it. I then stopped playing iron fist to see if it would then still work on another programme like altered carbon and I’d lost it again. At my wits end!!!!

Called Netflix last night they told me to log on and change quality to highest and then after about 8 hours the change should be reflected on every device. Left it overnight and tried this morning and still no working. Does anyone know what I’m doing wrong? My TV is LG810.

Thanks

Anyone else upgraded from the MS650? Curious on how you feel it compares

That’s what I’ve done. Put it back in soundbar. Not going to settle for stereo as the whole point of sky q uhd is sound. Not having lip sync issues with Amazon atmos through arc though. In perfect sync.

I wish someone could help me with Netflix atmos though through arc as I just cannot get it to work. It’s showing as atmos on the programme title page so it recognises that both the LG tv and soundbar is capable of it but it just won’t register on the soundbar. I’ve even just replaced the arc cable with a brand new Omars certified premium cable and still doesn’t work.

I did get it to work just once but I don’t know what I did. I was playing around with the Cec off and back on again and it worked. So I know it can do it. I then stopped playing iron fist to see if it would then still work on another programme like altered carbon and I’d lost it again. At my wits end!!!!

Called Netflix last night they told me to log on and change quality to highest and then after about 8 hours the change should be reflected on every device. Left it overnight and tried this morning and still no working. Does anyone know what I’m doing wrong? My TV is LG810.

Thanks
Might be completely unrelated but Atmos stopped working in my Netflix app via my LG tv and it was due to a setting in the sound menu.

I had to change digital sound out from pcm to auto.

Might be worth checking if you’re running out of ideas

Might be completely unrelated but Atmos stopped working in my Netflix app via my LG tv and it was due to a setting in the sound menu.

I had to change digital sound out from pcm to auto.

Might be worth checking if you’re running out of ideas
Thanks but yes it’s on auto. I’ll just give up.

Hi all,

Could you guys/ladies provide me the speaker level setting for your N950 setup for each speakers including sub please?

I know everyones room layout will affect the speaker level setting but i just want to get a general idea for my setup.

Thanks in advance.

run into an issue last night with my XBOXOX.

First time i have used it since getting the N950, i noticed i was getting like white dots/interference all over the image, assumed it was HDMI issue, replaced with 3 known working ones but didnt work.

Swapped to different HDMI port and issue still occured, then it suddenly started cutting out and going to black screen (could still hear sound).

Disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI brought the image back to life but only for a short while.
Did a hard power cycle on the XBOX whch didnt work.

So i assumed it was XBOX issue at this point, so i just connected it direct to TV and took the soundbar out of the picture......then i got no white dots or cut outs at all!

So this leaves the N950 as the culprit , not sure what to do! :(

Thanks but yes it’s on auto. I’ll just give up.
This happened to me when i turned off the Power link thing on the N950, i think holding RIGHT for 5 seconds turns it on and off. Give that a try

This happened to me when i turned off the Power link thing on the N950, i think holding RIGHT for 5 seconds turns it on and off. Give that a try
I am getting Atmos from Amazon app on Jack Ryan so I know the tv and soundbar is capable. I’m just getting 5.1 from Netflix and not Atmos. Just been on the phone to Netflix and after 30 minutes of speaking to tech team, via a customer service agent (they apparently don’t speak directly to customers) nothing they said worked. However, they now referred me back to LG. I give up!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom