Question Samsung HW-N400 Soundbar is clearer when we switch on the Humax PVR

caulkehead

Novice Member
Hi - non-techie newby here - hope someone can help.
I have just bought a Samsung all-in-one compact sound bar HW-N400 and it is connected to a Samsung Smart TV - UE40KU64. I had no problem with connections or configuration and opted for the HDMI-ARC so that I could use one remote control handset for most common functions and the TV and Soundbar switch on and off together. The problem is that the sound from the soundbar is rather muted and we now have to turn it up to around 30 or 40 which is ok but it's still not very clear.
We have a Humax PVR connected to the TV via a standard HDMI and when the PVR is switched on and we use the programme selection via the PVR the audio from the Soundbar is so much clearer and we can turn the volume right down to 15 to 20 - so about half that required if using just the TV.
You might say - well just watch the TV via the PVR then - but the problem is that we have to turn the PVR off before switching back to the TV otherwise it completely messes up the Soundbar which appears to not find the sound signal. Both the TV and the PVR have a broadband internet connection and an aerial connection for Freeview. The aerial has a 't' connector so that the FTA signal goes to the TV and the PVR separately. The TV is not daisy-chained to the aerial pass-through port on the PVR.
I've tried just about every menu I can find on the TV, Soundbar and PVR handsets but to no avail. Whilst there are similar discussions on this forum I've not seen anything that seems to match our specific issue. Any thoughts ?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom