Samsung HW-MS650

Bradley72

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any opinions on the HW-MS650 vs newer sound bars. I have this soundbar and earlier this year thought I'd upgrade to the q800t from 2020. Wow, I was so underwhelmed by the lack of mid frequencies from the soundbar that I returned it and tried the Sony ZF9. I quite liked that bar, certainly better to my ears than the Samsung q800t. However, I couldn't help but feel, once again that the mids and overall depth of sound was lacking compared to the HW-MS650. I sold the Sony and tried the Panasonic SCHTB-900 whichp was the closest to the MS650 for overall sound quality. I then brought the MS-650 downsta from storage to directly compare against the Panny and ended up returning the SCHTB-900. Brilliant soundbar but just couldn't help thinking the 650 was just that bit better. I then decided to use the cash to buy the SWA-w700 subwoofer for the MS650 and well, WOW!!! The sonic experience is amazing. Crisp highs, meaty mids and literally wall shaking bass. My son recently purchased the HW-Q900T soundbar which sounds pretty good, but in my opinion no where as rich as the MS650. Anyone else have an opinion?

Does anyone have any opinions on the HW-MS650 vs newer sound bars. I have this soundbar and earlier this year thought I'd upgrade to the q800t from 2020. Wow, I was so underwhelmed by the lack of mid frequencies from the soundbar that I returned it and tried the Sony ZF9. I quite liked that bar, certainly better to my ears than the Samsung q800t. However, I couldn't help but feel, once again that the mids and overall depth of sound was lacking compared to the HW-MS650. I sold the Sony and tried the Panasonic SCHTB-900 whichp was the closest to the MS650 for overall sound quality. I then brought the MS-650 downsta from storage to directly compare against the Panny and ended up returning the SCHTB-900. Brilliant soundbar but just couldn't help thinking the 650 was just that bit better. I then decided to use the cash to buy the SWA-w700 subwoofer for the MS650 and well, WOW!!! The sonic experience is amazing. Crisp highs, meaty mids and literally wall shaking bass. My son recently purchased the HW-Q900T soundbar which sounds pretty good, but in my opinion no where as rich as the MS650. Anyone else have an opinion?
i owned this a few years ago, never had the sub but did have rears with it. It lack atmos but for everything else its an excellent all rounder , great midrange and treble and even without a sub lots of bass for its size.
unless you are desperate to blow your cash i would keep it and enjoy what it does.

i owned this a few years ago, never had the sub but did have rears with it. It lack atmos but for everything else its an excellent all rounder , great midrange and treble and even without a sub lots of bass for its size.
unless you are desperate to blow your cash i would keep it and enjoy what it does.
My mind is pretty much made up having tried the others. If it went wrong now, I'd probably lump for the q900t or the Panasonic schtb900. To me they were the closest in quality.

MS650 has a great sound quality, and only reason why you might want to upgrade from it is Atmos/more channels.

As above. It's a decent Soundbar and certainly better than a Yamaha YSP-1600 I had briefly.

The EQ needed a bit of tweaking for TV but the Surround Mode is fine for Blu rays and ATV.

I have owned the 650 for years and recently bought the top of the line Samsung HW-Q950A. I loved the 650 as a simple, single box solution and think it has amazing sound quality- using it in Standard mode for everything. I imagine it must sound much better with the amazing sub you added! So for a simple solution the 650 really is unbeatable.
However, I wanted the full surround sound experience once again in my living room and the Q950A does not disappoint. The rear speakers and sub are wireless so it has not been too much hassle adding the larger system with the extra boxes to the living space.
The key difference is I now have a fully immersive, high quality surround sound experience that the 650 does not provide and I can fully enjoy 5.1, 7.1, DTS:X, Dolby Atmos etc movie soundtracks again after years with just the single soundbar (HW-MS650).
The Q950 is equally impressive as the 650 for what it is designed to do. Imagine adding a few decent quality extra rear speakers to the HW-MS650 (2 rear speakers- each has 3 drivers- front firing, upfiring and side firing) and a decent sub (not as good as the SWA-W700 though- but price reflects that).
Blade Runner 2049 absolutely shakes the whole house and sounds amazing.
It is definitely a worthy upgrade.

He tenido el 650 durante años y recientemente compré el Samsung HW-Q950A de primera línea. Me encantó el 650 como una solución simple de caja única y creo que tiene una calidad de sonido increíble, utilizándolo en modo estándar para todo. ¡Me imagino que debe sonar mucho mejor con el increíble sub que agregaste! Entonces, para una solución simple, el 650 es realmente imbatible.
Sin embargo, quería la experiencia de sonido envolvente completo una vez más en mi sala de estar y el Q950A no me defrauda. Los parlantes traseros y el subwoofer son inalámbricos, por lo que no ha sido demasiado complicado agregar el sistema más grande con las cajas adicionales al espacio habitable.
La diferencia clave es que ahora tengo una experiencia de sonido envolvente de alta calidad totalmente inmersiva que el 650 no proporciona y puedo disfrutar plenamente de las bandas sonoras de películas 5.1, 7.1, DTS:X, Dolby Atmos, etc. después de años con solo la barra de sonido única (HW -MS650).
El Q950 es tan impresionante como el 650 por lo que está diseñado para hacer. Imagínese agregar algunos altavoces traseros adicionales de calidad decente al HW-MS650 (2 altavoces traseros, cada uno tiene 3 controladores, disparo frontal, disparo ascendente y disparo lateral) y un subwoofer decente (aunque no tan bueno como el SWA-W700, pero el precio refleja eso).
Blade Runner 2049 sacude absolutamente a toda la casa y suena increíble.
Definitivamente es una actualización digna.
hola tengo desde hace varios años la HW-MS650 a la cual le agregue los altavoces SWA-9000S y el subwoofer SWA-W700 consideras qué existe alguna otra mejora qué pueda hacer a este equipo para evitar cambiar mi barra de sonido y gastar mucho más dinero?

hola tengo desde hace varios años la HW-MS650 a la cual le agregue los altavoces SWA-9000S y el subwoofer SWA-W700 consideras qué existe alguna otra mejora qué pueda hacer a este equipo para evitar cambiar mi barra de sonido y gastar mucho más dinero?
“Hello, I have had the HW-MS650 for several years to which I added the SWA-9000S speakers and the SWA-W700 subwoofer. Do you think there is any other improvement? What can I do to this equipment to avoid changing my soundbar and spend much more money?”

Welcome to the forums. This site is based in the UK and whilst we welcome members from all around the world, posts need to be in English please.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom