Samsung HW-MS650

Bradley72

Standard Member
Does anyone have any opinions on the HW-MS650 vs newer sound bars. I have this soundbar and earlier this year thought I'd upgrade to the q800t from 2020. Wow, I was so underwhelmed by the lack of mid frequencies from the soundbar that I returned it and tried the Sony ZF9. I quite liked that bar, certainly better to my ears than the Samsung q800t. However, I couldn't help but feel, once again that the mids and overall depth of sound was lacking compared to the HW-MS650. I sold the Sony and tried the Panasonic SCHTB-900 whichp was the closest to the MS650 for overall sound quality. I then brought the MS-650 downsta from storage to directly compare against the Panny and ended up returning the SCHTB-900. Brilliant soundbar but just couldn't help thinking the 650 was just that bit better. I then decided to use the cash to buy the SWA-w700 subwoofer for the MS650 and well, WOW!!! The sonic experience is amazing. Crisp highs, meaty mids and literally wall shaking bass. My son recently purchased the HW-Q900T soundbar which sounds pretty good, but in my opinion no where as rich as the MS650. Anyone else have an opinion?

keithwiggins

Does anyone have any opinions on the HW-MS650 vs newer sound bars. I have this soundbar and earlier this year thought I'd upgrade to the q800t from 2020. Wow, I was so underwhelmed by the lack of mid frequencies from the soundbar that I returned it and tried the Sony ZF9. I quite liked that bar, certainly better to my ears than the Samsung q800t. However, I couldn't help but feel, once again that the mids and overall depth of sound was lacking compared to the HW-MS650. I sold the Sony and tried the Panasonic SCHTB-900 whichp was the closest to the MS650 for overall sound quality. I then brought the MS-650 downsta from storage to directly compare against the Panny and ended up returning the SCHTB-900. Brilliant soundbar but just couldn't help thinking the 650 was just that bit better. I then decided to use the cash to buy the SWA-w700 subwoofer for the MS650 and well, WOW!!! The sonic experience is amazing. Crisp highs, meaty mids and literally wall shaking bass. My son recently purchased the HW-Q900T soundbar which sounds pretty good, but in my opinion no where as rich as the MS650. Anyone else have an opinion?
i owned this a few years ago, never had the sub but did have rears with it. It lack atmos but for everything else its an excellent all rounder , great midrange and treble and even without a sub lots of bass for its size.
unless you are desperate to blow your cash i would keep it and enjoy what it does.

Bradley72

Standard Member
i owned this a few years ago, never had the sub but did have rears with it. It lack atmos but for everything else its an excellent all rounder , great midrange and treble and even without a sub lots of bass for its size.
unless you are desperate to blow your cash i would keep it and enjoy what it does.
My mind is pretty much made up having tried the others. If it went wrong now, I'd probably lump for the q900t or the Panasonic schtb900. To me they were the closest in quality.

Ruffuz

MS650 has a great sound quality, and only reason why you might want to upgrade from it is Atmos/more channels.

Jase

Distinguished Member
As above. It's a decent Soundbar and certainly better than a Yamaha YSP-1600 I had briefly.

The EQ needed a bit of tweaking for TV but the Surround Mode is fine for Blu rays and ATV.

Dubliner1

I have owned the 650 for years and recently bought the top of the line Samsung HW-Q950A. I loved the 650 as a simple, single box solution and think it has amazing sound quality- using it in Standard mode for everything. I imagine it must sound much better with the amazing sub you added! So for a simple solution the 650 really is unbeatable.
However, I wanted the full surround sound experience once again in my living room and the Q950A does not disappoint. The rear speakers and sub are wireless so it has not been too much hassle adding the larger system with the extra boxes to the living space.
The key difference is I now have a fully immersive, high quality surround sound experience that the 650 does not provide and I can fully enjoy 5.1, 7.1, DTS:X, Dolby Atmos etc movie soundtracks again after years with just the single soundbar (HW-MS650).
The Q950 is equally impressive as the 650 for what it is designed to do. Imagine adding a few decent quality extra rear speakers to the HW-MS650 (2 rear speakers- each has 3 drivers- front firing, upfiring and side firing) and a decent sub (not as good as the SWA-W700 though- but price reflects that).
Blade Runner 2049 absolutely shakes the whole house and sounds amazing.
It is definitely a worthy upgrade.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom