1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung HW-MS650 Soundbar Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Soundbars, Soundplates & Soundbases' started by Phil Hinton, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,860
    2. george1976

george1976

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +74
      Looks like they priced this one like they priced the Qled TV's ;)

3. BigBadB

BigBadB
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      So the curved version, which as I understand it is pretty much identical other than the curve, gets 9/10, and this one only gets 8? Why the lower score?

4. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,860
      As mentioned in the review, we feel it is slightly over priced compared to the competition that is now available since the last review in May.

5. spinaltap

spinaltap

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +733
      At Currys, if bought with a television, is £200 off: making it £299.

6. phillip666

phillip666
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      That Set Up Is Beautiful .. Visual Poetry

7. mart!

mart!

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8
      Anyone know if you get full 5.0 surround when using the swa-9000s rear speakers? Or is it just 3.0 with extra sound through the rears?

8. Dubliner1

Dubliner1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Dublin, Ireland / San Diego, California, USA.
      Ratings:
      +1,077
    9. GaryDexter

GaryDexter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      The M650, or the M360 with the separate Sub?

Thoughts?

10. seamooncafe

seamooncafe
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4
      I get full 5.0 surround with SWA-9000s. Try it with Dolby Demo or DTS Demo video.

11. noswarp

noswarp

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      For me the MS650 seems to produce nothing but problems.

I installed the soundbar as an addition to my 4k TV and the upgrade in audio was impressive. In some ways that's not saying a lot because the native TV sound of course is crap!!

The soundbar was easy to install and connect up (the few problems that arose were applying settings in the Sony TV (my bar is fed from the TV because one or two tweeks are available from the smart television) !! Easy to connect the two with either optical or HDMI and WiFi works well with my Samsung tablet. For 90% of the soundbars capabilities I am really impressed and pleased; unfortunately the remaining 10% is what produces the problematic dilemma, and that problem is dialogue!!!

What virtually all reviewers fail to mention (and those that do, gloss over it) is the fact that the main buttons (Surround Sound, Sound Mode, Smart Mode) are all mutually exclusive; ie. you can only select one setting at a time. The Sound Mode button has five modes which includes "Clear Voice" however this setting is cancelled and soon as Surround Sound is selected (or Smart Mode for that matter) and it is clear voice that I particularly want due to the appalling dialogue when some actors are involved, with their drawl, mumbling and whispering.

In addition to the above on normal TV, most reporters on the news and the presenters of a lot of the documentary programs sound as if they are in an accoustic enclosure with their voices muffled. This can be really bad with some male voices. Most films are OK (they should be thanks to Dolby) but for general TV viewing the soundbar is very disappointing. This has of course got to be balanced against the brilliant sound effects from a movie, or pretty good rendition of music via WiFi!! The thing is, at the price being charged for the soundbar, should I really be subjected to this disparity in sound quality. Surely with audio manipulation available nowadays it should be possilbe to process crappy voices into something intelligible.

Perhaps as an afterthought I should say I am not interested in demolishing my semi-detached house with super low masonry destroying audio. Neither do I want my chest to vibrate with the sound effects, or drive my neighbours insane with the noise passing through the walls as some people seem to crave.

12. sneakyweeone

sneakyweeone

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +137
      I bought this second hand through the classifieds and I agree I would have been disappointed if I had paid full price. The set up is very easy via ARC for me. I haven't had the voice issues you have had though. Overall it is a step up but not a huge step up. If only I had the space for a proper set up.

13. Alphatyrant

Alphatyrant

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +156
      I've price matched JL with Crampton and Moore bringing it down from £479 to £369. A tad more reasonable.

14. sneakyweeone

sneakyweeone

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +137
      I think that's a much better pricing point for the product.

15. Alphatyrant

Alphatyrant

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +156
      I thought so, there are sellers doing it for £349 on Amazon but never been keen on ordering electrical goods via Amazon resellers. I was actually thinking of buying it directly from Crampton and Moore because having to wait for JL to refund me after I received the item seems awkward. I remember phoning them a few years back to get a price match and I bought something over the phone for the reduced price straight away. Maybe they've just changed policies since then?

16. noswarp

noswarp

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      I bought mine from HiFi Confidential and paid £379 at the same time as purchasing a Sony television from them. This allowed me to claim back £200 from Samsung (after jumping through a few hoops) via a money back offer, effectively making the price £179. I think this offer ends at the end of March 2018 by the way. The thing is I would have been very happy with the £379 price if the soundbar had come up to expectations. As it is I have got a cheapish soundbar I am unhappy with. Fortunately I will be able to donate it to my daughter and her husband when I get a replacement so hopefully things should turn out OK for me. I'm still upset though that so called reviwers don't mention that the settings are far more restricted than they first seem. Even Samsung helpdesk cannot agree on whether the three settings (surround, sound mode, and smart sound) are mutually exclusive or settings can be selected in a combination.

Just as a quick asside, on Surround Sound, dialogue comes from the dedicated centre driver whereas with Smart Mode, dialogue appears to come from a phantom centre driver by manipulation of stereo sound.

17. Alphatyrant

Alphatyrant

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +156
      So what soundbar are you going to select then? After looking over numerous reviews there are cheaper options but this one has ticked all the boxes for me so far.

18. Dubliner1

Dubliner1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,077
      I don't think there is a better soundbar in this price range...having said that just don't expect any type of 'surround' effects from it whizzing around the room. What it does do tho is provide a very decent front soundstage with very good bass (for it's size) and decent vocals (terrible in so many soundbars)...tried an LG and a Yamaha before settling on this. I used to have a very high end surround sound set up so am a bit spoiled and I was sceptical after very bad experiences with the LG and Yamaha. But I'm fairly happy with this for what it does.
      It is a bit pricey i'd say 300 quid would be fairer paid about 375 myself.
      I tend to listen to stuff at lower volumes later at night and this has proved an excellent product- but it can play very loud too of course and still sounds good.
      It's really hard to tell until you test it for yourself and you need to set it all up correctly- mine is beneath a tv on a shelf about 2 feet below my ears so I tilted it up towards my listening position with small rubber feet placed underneath the front- made a big difference. Just make sure you can return it if you are not satisfied.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    19. Dubliner1

Dubliner1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,077
      ..also the ARC feature works perfectly- with all my Sony gear- very happy about that.

20. Alphatyrant

Alphatyrant

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +156
      Thanks for the info, my next option would have been a Soundbase (either the Q Acoustics M2 or Cambridge Audio TV5, both decent reviews and reasonably priced). Our living room is reasonably small so I don't need super duper setups. The concern I did have is that all 3 items of my incoming setup are going to be via different companies. LG OLED, Sony 4K player and a Samsung soundbar :D

21. Dubliner1

Dubliner1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,077
      ARC works perfectly with my Sony UBP-X800 4K HDR Ultra HD player and I'd assume should be no probs either with a high end piece of kit like the LG OLED.

22. noswarp

noswarp

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      I'm considering giving the Yamaha YSP2700 a try, (anyone have any experiece of it)? It's quite a bit pricier but does allegedly produce a good approximation to surround sound but not sure about the dialogue. Quite frankly I do get a bit sick of some whingers saying soundbars fail to produce as good a surround effect as discrete loudspeakers. That I think would be fairly obvious and only like for like comparisons are reasonable (to me at least). What I would like to see are reviews that tell me what a soundbar is like, not how it relates to a true surround system.

Yes I do agree, even for me, the MS650 ticks most of the boxes, the trouble is the boxes it doesn't tick are also important to me which is why I am unhappy with it. If Samsung developed the soundbar to give good and clear dialogue they would have a world beater in my opinion. They would also do well to dispense with the phoney range of settings or at least make it clear most of the settings are mutually exclusive.

23. Dubliner1

Dubliner1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,077
      Here are my settings...

Treble 0
      Bass -1
      Surround OFF
      Smart ON

Didn't touch anything using the sound equalizer app- left at default

Dialog sounds clear

24. noswarp

noswarp

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      Hi, Dubliner, with your soundbar set to Smartmode does dialogue appear to come from a phantom centre driver or does it genuinely come from the dedicated centre driver. Also does ajdusting base and treble make significant changes to the sound or is the difference pretty minimalist? Thanks.

25. sneakyweeone

sneakyweeone

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +137
      My settings are similar though I'm plus 1 on bass and the dialogue is clear. We streamed some music via you tube this morning to the TV and the sound was excellent. Overall for what I paid, £250 of the classifieds here, I am pleased.

The unfortunate things these days is that all products seem to be a compromise and for some people the compromise is to much.

26. sneakyweeone

sneakyweeone

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +137
      Oh and ARC setup was so easy.

27. Deanfred

Deanfred
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3
      I bought an MS650 from Currys Ebay shop for £326 as a damaged box, new product and am very pleased with it. I wanted it for simplicity, clear dialogue, multiroom music ( I have 2 R6's and 2 R1's), decent movie sound and as a standalone music player.
      It has ticked all my boxes and more.
      I have had highend Yamaha sound projectors YSP3300, YSP30D and various soundbar with seperate subwoofer setups from Sony (taken back for refund- just tinny), JVC (same fate- subwoofer disconnecting randomly), Sharp SB60 ( powerful but broke down after 12months), Arcam Solo bar (sold-good for music but too big!).
      Bought this to replace HW K651 which is really good for loud movies and general tv until you realise that most of the actual sound is coming from the subwoofer and is detached from the screen.
      My living room is about 26' x 12' and this easily fills it at volumes 15-25 with sensible bass and crystal clear dialogue. Music playback is really good as testified by my son-in-law who is a Sonos addict. He could not believe that all the sound was coming from the MS650 and assumed that I had the R6's connected as well.
      When I move house and have a clean slate, I may well buy the rears ( now they are cheap @£100) and possibly the swaw700 when the price tumbles. Ridiculously expensive for a subwoofer that can only be used with 3 Samsung soudbars.
      Only regret-possibly should have bought the 750!
      I would not be having this coversation if LG and Samsung were not ripping everybody off for their Atmos bars. The SJ9 would be a perfect match for my E7 OLED. It makes you wonder how much Dolby charges them for Atmos licences.

28. Alphatyrant

Alphatyrant

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +156
      Decided to phone up Richer Sounds and price match with them, at least they apply the discount straight away rather than having to wait until after I get it. So just my player to buy now :D

29. seamooncafe

seamooncafe
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4
      My setting are:-
      Surround Mode - Off
      Smart Mode - On
      Treble - 3
      Bass - 6 (Full)
      Volume for SWA-9000s - 6 (Full)

30. seamooncafe

seamooncafe
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4
      Hi noswarp,
      I used MS650+SWA9000s to watch blu-ray movies & music/song (hip-hop/lounge/classic). For normal TV watching like news/sports, I use another 2.1 channel soundbar.
      I see your concern on the Surround/Smart/Other Sound Mode. It was mine also at the beginning. But I found with/without surround mode bring no significant effect, eventually it's no more a concern to me. I owned different brands of soundbars, honestly, Surround Mode could never really give you sufficient surround experience, and it also very dependent on the Audio mixing of a movie. I also need to emphasize that, to enjoy full surround, you need at least 5.1 channel source.
      Concerning Smart/Other sound mode, I tried Movie & Smart for quite some time, eventually I choose Smart, it's very subjective to individual's preference. At this Smart Mode, I tested with Dolby/DTS 5.1 channel Demo Disc, from there I can hear dedicated sound comes from correct channels.
      Lastly, to enjoy full surround 5.0 experience, I urge everyone to setup also SWA9000s, and keep firmware updated always.