Question Samsung HW-K950 DTS:X decoding firmware update

Discussion in 'Soundbars, Soundplates & Soundbases' started by manonabox, Jul 8, 2018.

1. manonabox

manonabox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi, I am aware that the Samsung HWK950 5.1 doesn’t do DTS:X decoding and that there is a newer updated version HWN950 7.1 on the horizon which will do. I am also aware of a lot of vagueness as to whether there will be a firmware upgrade to update the HWK950 to to make it capable. There are some good deals on offer at the moment including a cash back offer if purchased with there new Q9F television. I am just wondering if the HWK950 has the physical hardware to actually be configured to identify with a DTS:X signal which might be why Samsung seem reluctant to implement the firmware update. Also once manufacturers bring out newly developed and improved versions of older products they seem to stop developing supported enhancements of older products. I want the Atmos effect and I like to stick with same brand products to ensure full compatibility (I have read several comments about the HDMI ARC issues with other brands of tv’s) Is the DTS:X really important to have?The HWK950 is an expensive piece of kit with good reviews at currently a reduced price. I have seen the new bar pre-advertised with a UK RRP of £1499.00. The older HWK950 is now being offered at a much reduced price for £995 in places. My question is should I wait for the newer range or Just go for it? Is there Higher than lower chance that Samsung could bring out a firmware update to included DTSX?

2. antsims

antsims

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +685
    I'd wait for the N950 if you want to be sure.

3. Syonora

Syonora
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Doesn't sound like Samsung will be putting it in, there are posts on the official forums about it that have been ignored for ages... makes no sense why they would do it (maybe it's a licensing/cost issue), but with the new soundbar around the corner, it doesn't make sense why they would especially given the time they have had so far to do it.

4. VirulentPip

VirulentPip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    The thing is, they could easily sell both having DTS:X as the K950 has 5.1.4 and the N950 7.1.4. So they could totally sell them both.