Question Samsung HW-K550 Soundbar - compatibility query

Discussion in 'Soundbars, Soundplates & Soundbases' started by claretmixman, Dec 15, 2016.

1. claretmixman

claretmixman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all.

First post from a long-time lurker and absolute no-idea merchant when it comes to connections.

I have a five-year-old Samsung 46" LE46D580 LCD TV. It's been a great servant and is still going strong picture-wise and, though I dream of upgrading to a 65" 6 Series Smart TV, the budget doesn't allow for it at present. One thing I have noticed is that the sound is deteriorating slightly so i was looking at purchasing the Samsung HW-K550 soundbar (I don't really want to move away from them as my manufacturer of choice). Before I make the leap, I thought I'd better check with the experts first!

First off, was wondering if someone could kindly let me know if the soundbar will work connection-wise with my TV? The TV has the following connections:

4 x HDMI
    2 x USB
    1 x component In
    1 x Composite In
    1 x Digital Out Optical
    1 x PC In
    1 x CI Slot
    1 x Scart
    1 x Headphone
    1 x PC Audio In

I have a chromecast, a blu-ray and a Sky box plugged in.

The soundbar has the following:

HDMI input (19 pin Type A)
    HDMI Output (19 pin Type A)
    USB (5 pin Micro-USB Type B)
    Audio line-in (mini-phone stereo 3.5mm)
    Digital audio input (optical) (TOS link)

Secondly, and this is probably a very silly question, but will a sound-bar actually make a difference to a TV that already has slightly failing sound?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Gary

2. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,043
    It will work over optical, if any of your HDMI sockets on the TV are marked ARC then it will work over that as well and you can control it with your TV remote, at least for the volume.

3. claretmixman

claretmixman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Bob, really appreciate the swift response.

Am I right in thinking that by working over optical, you mean I would need to utilise the "Digital audio input (optical) (TOS link)" connection on the soundbar? Which connection would it require to go in on the TV, please? Just any HDMI but preferably an ARC HDMI if it has one? And presumably the audio (optical) cable that the soundbar comes with is all I'll need?

I must sound so thick, sorry!

Thanks

4. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,043
    It goes in that connection from the TV to ......

Not sure if it comes with the cable. I never really paid attention as I was using the HDMI ARC connection. I would check but the box with any extra bits is in storage.

First choice would be to use the HDMI ARC if you have it, that would negate the use for the soundbar remote unless you wanted to change settings. If not use the optical connection, you should get the same sound out either. You don't need to use both connections, it would be pointless.

5. claretmixman

claretmixman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Fantastic. Yes, the soundbar comes with the audio (optical) cable so I should have everything I need.

I know my first port of call when I have the funds for the new TV!

Can't thank you enough, cheers.

6. claretmixman

claretmixman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to say thanks again to Bob for the advice. Soundbar was delivered on Saturday and didn't come with the optical cable it was supposed to come with. Quick trip to Currys and a tenner later, job sorted. Works like a dream and sounds amazing.

Now for that 65" Samsung 6 Series Smart TV...

Cheers again.