Samsung HW-J8501 Output??

Mattk83

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm new here and this looks like a good place to get some answers. My setup is a Samsung 65js9000 with the hw-j8501 soundbar and I want to know how I can tell what type of audio the soundbar is outputting in, whether it be pcm or Dolby digital or hd true audio. I have a sky box connected to the soundbar via optical cable so I believe that should be Dolby digital, and my ps4 which I use to watch Blu Rays is connected to the soundbar via the hdmi in, then from the soundbar to the tv using the hdmi arc to send the ps4 video signal. I'm just not sure what I'm listening to and I want to get the best out of the system. Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

Hello Matt,

I would like to know this too. I miss my old AVR that told me exactly what it was outputting.

I've also a few questions I wish Samsung were clear about upfront. Especially regarding the connection options for this soundbar.

1. Samsung SoundConnect over Bluetooth, does it transmit Dolby / DTS or just stereo?
2. What audio format is transmitted from the optical output from JS9000 series TV's, when passed from the HDMI connections from SKY/PS4/Xbox One?

I'm much the same as you with my Sky Box using optical to soundbar. PS4 hdmi to soundbar then TV. And then relying on HDMI ARC to send back anything I watch via Apps on the TV to the soundbar. If I thought I could just use the Optical Out from the TV to the Soundbar I would do that but I've a feeling it just outputs Stereo. And then we are back to the original problem of the soundbar not telling us what it is outputting so I cant confirm.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom