Samsung HW-E450 - Connecting Up

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dumfy, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Dumfy

Dumfy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,

I'm thinking of buying this sound bar to use with my Samsung 46" D7000 TV.

I'm looking to connect a Blu Ray player, Sky HD box and a media player - all of which have HDMI outputs that I'd like to use.

However, the sound bar has only one HDMI input and one output, so what is the best way to connect all my devices?

I'm thinking of connecting them all to the TV via HDMI and use the TVs ARC to route all devices to the sound bar. Is this correct?

I've just remembered though the TV has only 3 HDMI inputs on the rear with HDMI #2 being ARC - which will be connected to sound bar HDMI out. If I connect Sky Box to HDMI #1 and the Blu Ray player to HDMI 3, then the media player's HDMI output to the single HDMI input on the sound bar, will that set up work?

My confusion has arisen because I've read about people suggesting the use of an optical cable between TV and sound bar. A sales guy in John Lewis told me to do this as well after stating optical was better than HDMI (?).

many thanks

Dumfy

2. Dumfy

Dumfy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wow - anybody out there please?

143 views - hoped somebody could tell me if my thinking is correct . . .

TIA

Dumfy

3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,437
    You need you check if the arc feature on the tv will route sound from its other hdmi inputs. Arc was designed to work with the internal tune and any smart features so may not do what you want.

4. Dumfy

Dumfy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks PSM1

Think I'll need to email Samsung on this as it may not be so straight forward.

Dumfy

5. iwb100

iwb100
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,215
    Ok I'm also getting this soundbar. And am similarly slightly confused by the setup options. As I understand it, I can route HDMI from my Sky box through to the soundbar then use the ARC HDMI on the TV to receive from the soundbar. And that SHOULD work across the other HDMI inputs on the TV (Xbox and Blu ray).

Is that the best way to do it?

I 99% of the time watch Sky so, my thinking is that is the best option.

I'm also torn between going direct from Sky Box to Soundbar via optical for best sound quality, but then I'm not sure if that would then work for with HDMI from Soundbar to TV ARC to pick up the rest of the equipment.

I guess I'd have to change source on the soundbar and also when watching sky would have to manually switch the soundbar on off with its own remote. However, I fear this setup may not work.

6. Dumfy

Dumfy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I contacted Samsung Customer Service about this and the reply said that what I had in mind was correct, but bear in mind that this is also for a Samsung 46" D7000 TV . . .

Connect HDMI #2 (ARC) on TV to the soundbar HDMI Out

Connect Sky to HDMI #1 on TV
    Connect Blu Ray etc to HDMI #3 on TV

What Samsung are saying is that all HDMI inputs on the TV will route sound via ARC.

There is also the option of connecting one other device to the HDMI input on the soundbar.

Hope this helps