SAMSUNG HW-E3502.1 SOUNDBAR issues

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by pob1, Aug 17, 2012.

1. pob1

pob1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if someone can assist with setup problems for this model. It has only one HDMI input and I am currently using this as default for Sky. However, I would like to have the option of using it for my blu ray player. Is there a splitter I could use here and how might that work?
    In addition I note that when I put off the soundbar, the Sky channel is not available and informs me there is no signal! Help!

2. byngo

byngo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    I think im right in saying that their are HDMI splitters you can buy which were mostly invented for people running out of HDMI inputs on the TV.
    Even Argos sell them now but ive never used one. You might find the cheapers ones have a manual switch over rather than automatic.

The SKY signal to the TV goes off when the soundbar is off because the signal is not passing through without the soundbar switched on. This is quite normal and common, even on my Sony AV receiver.
    If you think about it, you are using the soundbar now rather than the TV for sound right?
    If the video signal passed on to the TV whilst the soundbar was off, you would have a picture on the TV but no sound.:facepalm:

3. pob1

pob1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for a quick response on that one. I will have a look online for splitters. I will need to now explain to my wife that she needs to use the soundbar remote for switching on as opposed to Samsung tv remote!! Only other issue here is that when soundbar is switched off and then on again it does not remain at HDMI setting for Sky but rather defaults to a setting called ARC which means I now need to use another button on the soundbar remote to change it back to HDMI and therefore get Sky! The joys! Pretty annoying actually.

Thanks again for your help.

4. pob1

pob1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im also wondering if a splitter will do the job I want it to do; that is allow the soundbar to be used both for the bluray player and Sky without having to pull out connections?? IS this feasible?

5. pob1

pob1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Why would it only have 1 HDMI input? Are you sure that's not an output for the tv? Having one input makes no sense. With sky I would connect directly to the tv via HDMI and separately via optical to the soundbar.

7. byngo

byngo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    just thinking here,

your sound bar is recognising the audio return channel (ARC) from your TV I think over HDMI.

Can you not connect your sky box and Bluray to the TV's other HDMI inputs and the sound bar could stay on ARC to take the sound passed on by the TV over the ARC HDMI connection?
    If the ARC does'nt work out too well, then cant you use an optical connection from TV to soundbar as Dave P suggests?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  8. pob1

pob1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave hi there. Thanks for your reply. Ive checked the specs and there is only 1 HDMI and 1 HDMI out connections on the soundbar. There are no optical connections at all!!!

9. pob1

pob1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    byngo thanks! Im not sure if I can do this but will have a look and feedback to you. Cheers.

10. byngo

byngo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    The problem you might encounter with the ARC function is that on some TV's the ARC only sends audio from the TV internal tuner and not other sources connected to the TV. You will have to try it.

The other niggle is sometimes only 2.0 stereo is passed and not the multi-channel audio that for example bluray is giving the TV. Mind you, with a soundbar, multi-channel audio isnt going to bother you is it.

11. pob1

pob1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes thats a fair point. I will play around with the setup to see how I can get it to max benefit (obviously not whilst my wife is in the room though lol!)