Samsung HTXQ100 v Panasonic SCHT855

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Aspic, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Aspic

Aspic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm currently looking into buying a 5.1 all-in-one system to go with my new(ish) Samsung 32" LCD TV (LE32N7) and have narrowed the choices down to 2 (mostly using the helpful posts on these forums):
    * the Samsung HTXQ100 at around £340
    * the Panasonic SCHT855 at around £240

The Samsung of course goes best aesthetically with the telly, and both systems tick the boxes I am interested in (HDMI, optical in etc). However, now its decision time, and what I can't seem to deduce is what you are getting for the extra £100 for the Samsung?

I've looked at various online shop site spec pages (unfortunately different shops - I couldnt find a shop that sold both for direct comparison) but am too much of a newb at this sort of thing to spot what the differences are with any confidence from what I have seen.

Has anyone any experience with both systems, or has done the research themselves, that can give me a quick run-down of what the technical differences are and whether they are worth £100 in your opinion?

Thanks.

2. hulleyrob

hulleyrob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  3. Aspic

Aspic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You had me reaching for my credit card there before I realised it was the 2.1 system :)

I'm after the 5.1 system HTQX100. The 2.1 system is HTQ100.

4. jonny round boy

jonny round boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Aspic,

I'm afraid I can't really help, other than to say I'm in the same boat as you - I've looked at all-in-ones, as well as separate speakers/amp, but I'm also leaning toward the XQ100 for cosmetic reasons. Quite a few places stock the 2.1 system, but I can only find one or two that have the 5.1, and they all seem to be out of stock at the mo. Chances of finding one I can demo seem slim to none :(

5. hulleyrob

hulleyrob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Doh sorry just thought id seen that name before cheaper and didnt spot the differance!

Rob

6. confused dotcom

confused dotcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Have you tried Amazon? They got a whole load in a week before Christmas. Also the best price I found at £321.99 for the 5.1.
    I can highly recommend this system although the cabinet/stand issue is a bit of a pain due to the toploading DVD player!:( but the sound is very good.
    Gareth

7. jonny round boy

jonny round boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yes, I tried - they're quoting 4-6 weeks delivery, as is everywhere else at the moment...

8. confused dotcom

confused dotcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  9. cubo-eml

cubo-eml

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, does anyone knows how (or if it´s a way) to override -shutdown- the macrovision protection on the Samsung htxq100??
    I´ve read some threads that shows how to do it on computer based DVD´s and I wonder if there is some way to do it on standalone equipment.

I´m frustrated that on my $30 USD daewoo dvd player I can watch all types of DVD disks and on my $400 USD new Samsung Home theater I cannot.

I´m also kind of dissapointed of its sound quality which is not as good as I expected to be and the unit (mine at least) is too noisy. The fan is clearly audible over the movie and is irritating.

Does anyone else have this problems?

Any help on this will be higly appreciated.
    Regards from Mexico
    Henry